Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

This morning I noticed a gas smell coming from my bus parked in the garage.
I noticed a small amount of gas on the ground under the left side of the bus. I noticed that when I sniffed in the left air vent, the smell was strong but when I did the same on the right side, I did not smell gas.

I climbed under the bus and checked the fuel lines and electric fuel pump and they were dry.

I should also say that I am currently dealing with push rod tube seal oil leak on the left side (but will replace the seals this week) and found the regular amount of oil on the bottom of the engine but today noticed that there seemed to be some gas mixed with the oil on this side.

I took a little piece of paper towel and dabbed it around the push rod tube area under the tin and on the #4 cylinder head and it faintly smelled like gas.

At first I thought the gas smell might be caused by a compromise in the vent line connector under the spare tire, but it checked out to be ok.

I've never heard of gas leaking from the cylinder head but wonder if this might be what's going on.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Gravity is pushing gas past the needle and seat, the float bowl overflows down the intake eventually making it past the valve and rings and into the crankcase.

If your oil smells like gas change it soon, modern gas eats some case sealants.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Thanks BD,

Will check the oil and change if gas infested.
Is there a repair or remedy to solve the problem you mention?

Thanks,

Jeff
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Oil in the gas? Change it NOW.
Actually, after the float valve(s) are replaced.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Oil in the gas? Change it NOW.
Actually, after the float valve(s) are replaced.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Thank You.

I have a crappy center mount progressive single carb. I've done a lot of work on the bus but have not touched the carb. Looks like I'll need to do some homework on replacing or refurbishing the needle valve and float.

Since I'm not going to drive the bus until this is resolved - Should I just drain the oil for now?

Thanks,

Jeff
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

So it looks like what I’m experiencing is quite common and I have the classic carb stuck float or clogged needle. I’ve closed of the due line with my mechanical valve in the fuel line so no mate gas is available to flood the engine. I do not smell gas when I check the oil but will change the oil anyway just to be safe.

How do I remove the gas from the cylinders? Does any oil change take care of this? Do I start the engine after fixing the carb/changing oil and will this clean them out? Or is there some other extraction process?

Thank You,

Jeff
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Just change the oil, let it sit for a few days with the breather cap off.

Residual gas will quickly evaporate, and even quicker evaporate at running oil temperatures.

Fresh oil, start and idle motor until hot, idle it for 10 minutes, then take it for a gentle spin, watching/listening/being aware.

If you are really OCD you can change oil again, but I wouldn't.

Ill ping you next time Im through Rochester. (I know you arent really in Rochester, probably in some Gated community or always in a Rush)
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Thanks Abscate,

This is very helpful and makes sense.

And yes, let me know the next time you’re through. I’m actually in Penfield, just east of the Rochester city limits. No gates here - and trying not to be in a rush.

And when I take it for a gentle spin what am I watching/listening for?

Thank You,

Jeff
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Check to make sure the evap line behind the tire well is good, it's probably not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Check to make sure the evap line behind the tire well is good, it's probably not.

he said he checked it in his first post.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

If you didn't notice an increase in the oil level, you may be fine with the amount of gas you have in the oil. As mentioned above the gas will evaporate very quickly from hot oil. This is of course very subjective.

In the olden days during the colder months it was common to have 5% or more gas in the oil, but with the advent of improved crankcase ventilation that amount dropped over the decades. In the arctic gas was even intentionally added to the oil during the winter to help get engines to spin easier.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks Abscate,

This is very helpful and makes sense.

And yes, let me know the next time you’re through. I’m actually in Penfield, just east of the Rochester city limits. No gates here - and trying not to be in a rush.

And when I take it for a gentle spin what am I watching/listening for?

Thank You,

Jeff

IN the insufferablee words of John Muir...

"Expensive noises"

Clanks, knocks, rattles, marbles noises from engine

Oil light should go out promptly and stay out.

Keep an eye on that oil level and make sure it isn't rising (more gas)
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

I may have over thought this but I drained the oil and have ordered a carb kit. I discover gas leaking from the accelerator pump when activating the throttle. Will replace the oil tomorrow and redo carb when the kit arrives.

I didn’t realize this was such a common issue.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

In draining the oil, I decided to replace the gaskets in the oil screen/sump. When I removed the screen, I discovered several plastic shards of RTV that the PO had used on the push rod tube seals.

I also discovered what appears to be a home-made gasket around the disc that holds the screen in place as seen here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BUT, I want to make sure that this rubber gasket/seal is not stock. (I didn't see on listed on the exploded view of the engine of the microfiche that SGKent sent me. Is this correct? (No rubber gasket surrounding the disc?)

This photo shows the disc and screen with their new gaskets. Previously, there was NO gasket on the plate that supports the screen. Maybe this is why the PO installed the thick rubber, home-made gasket.

Oh, and I am all set with my torque wrench to only tighten the bolt to 9 ft. lbs.

Thanks,

Jeff
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

What is the white crap inside the screen? Anything that get to the inside of the screen could possible make it into your oil galleys if the oil filter is being bypassed due to cold thick oil on start up.

Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

From what I can tell the spring inside the screen was reflecting light, looking like there is something white inside. Here's another look:

I think this should be ok, but I defer (as always) to the experts here.

Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I may have over thought this but I drained the oil and have ordered a carb kit. I discover gas leaking from the accelerator pump when activating the throttle. Will replace the oil tomorrow and redo carb when the kit arrives.

I didn’t realize this was such a common issue.

Put a hose pincher on the fuel line to the carb while you are waiting, no need to gas up that new oil.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell/leak on left side of engine Reply with quote

Thanks BD - this is where my mechanical shutoff valve in he due line comes in handy. Plus, I’ve pulled the carb have been so busy that I haven’t refilled with new oil- I would hope this would provide plenty of opportunity to clear out any remaining gas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: