Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone have pics, video or advice on custom seat bracket install
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremywrags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Anyone have pics, video or advice on custom seat bracket install Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am working on a new (to me) buggy and I am not really happy with the stock seat mounts. The adjuster does not seem to grad and the seat seems to slide freely. I have been looking at some of the after market options but I am not clear on how to install any of them? Do I cut out the original rails or just weld or bolt the new brackets around them.

A couple more related questions if you don't mind

Do you add any reinforcements under the pan or elsewhere?

How would you recommend seatbelt mounting? Stock holes? PO put brake and fuel through stock hole Sad

I appreciate any help, thanks
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have pics, video or advice on custom seat bracket install Reply with quote

There are many different ways to mount them, as you'll see in this forum. I recommend looking at a lot of builds in here to see some of the options.

If bolting to the floor pans, I would definitely re-enforce it with something underneath, but some people choose not to.

If you're not going to re-use the old brackets, then I would definitely cut them out. It's not too hard to do. However, if your seats are sloppy and wobble, it's most likely an issue with the seat itself, not the brackets. The brackets are fairly simple. The seats may be missing the pads that help center it, or something of that nature.

As far as the seatbelt mounting holes, you definitely want to use the original holes, as long as they are indeed original. The original holes are re-enforced behind the mounts, and that is definitely needed. A LOT of people will cut that area out during the chassis shortening process, and just drill new holes in the tunnel, which can be dangerous. The majority of the tunnel isn't as thick, and can't support the shear strength of bolt upon impact. It could literally rip the bolt right out of the chassis.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
jeremywrags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have pics, video or advice on custom seat bracket install Reply with quote

Thanks Brian,

Yea looking at the buggy I think the original seat belt holes are gone. It looks like previous owners are just connecting to one of the body - chassis bolts for the side and a hole with a washer at the back.

I think I can reenforce both mounting locations with some steel bar.

As for the seats. My hacked up rails are shot as are the adjusters. I saw a set that someone had fabricated from some flat stock and I think I can probably mimic what they did with some under pan reenforcement. I may even try to make something a little extra beefy and just tie the seat belt mounting into the seat frame...

I'll keep this thread posted on any progress.

Thanks
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have pics, video or advice on custom seat bracket install Reply with quote

I used a set of universal sliders bolted to pan with a length of 1/8 x 2 inch flat bar under pan as reinforcement so bolts did not pull through pan....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Bucket-Seat-Slider-Tracks,7103.html

And additional brackets as required...

I would anchor seat belts/harness to chassis and not seat, if seat comes loose you are belted into an ejection seat.... Use anchor point (weld in) stiffeners as required.... Most belt kits come with 2-1/2 inch backup washers for body mounting...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have pics, video or advice on custom seat bracket install Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: