Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end suspension build questions.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

So I’m in the midst of putting in a proper Thing beam in my 74, so of course I’ve got tons of questions.

So here’s one, I purchased torsion arms/ ball joints from the Thing shop. Put the arms on the new beam and springs today. I found it odd that there are no end caps on the ends of the torsion arms, leaving he grease and springs exposed to whatever is blown up there from the road. Am I missing some end caps or something?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

I bought the thing shop torsion arms also, I used the caps from my old ones. They poke out easy from the back side, long bar and tap with a hammer, then tap them into the new ones. I've heard of people gluing electrical box blanks in or coins. Found for sale here, maybe others sell them too.
http://www.thingparts.com/torsion-arm-plug/
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

Check out this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675844&highlight=torsion+arm+cap
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

Thanks guys, figured there had to be some sort of cap. Strange when you buy these things they don’t come with the caps. Can’t get the old ones off the old torsion arms, old beetle beam that is all tar and rust, so guess I’ll rig something up.
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

There are some elegant solutions here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257920

I did what Mondshine did.

You can also order them:
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

A US 50 cent piece taps right in.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

Got the beam in and all the new parts. Needs an alignment badly, which is happening tomorrow. Took it around the block and nothing fell off, so that’s a plus. But I am hearing a on/off squeak from one of the front wheels, prob a bearing... hopefully it goes away after some driving, don’t really want to replace the bearings again.

Drives so much different too, very “hoppy” over bumps, prob due to being out of alignment and the new shocks...

The Thing looks so much better with a Thing front end and not a beetle one. However the front end sits higher than the rear now, is that the way it’s supposed to sit or do I need to adjust or index the rear? And by me, I mean pay someone to do it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

The Thing spindles will raise a vehicle 3.5" from a Beetle spindle so someone lowered the rear of your Thing to match the incorrect front. So yes, you will need to re-index the rear torsion bars.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

Just got the Thing aligned. Feels great... in a straight line. However and there’s always a however, when I turn right, there is a loud “thunk, thunk, thunk”. No idea what it is. Only happens when turning right. The mechanic also showed me there is way too much play in the steering wheel, gotta figure that out. And the steering column is rubbing on the gas tank... no good. I’m thinking I didn’t rotate the steering box enough, gonna try to adjust that..
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

Well, found one problem. The passenger side spindle is rubbing on the inside of the wheel! Anyone ever have this problem after getting an alignment?!?!
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end suspension build questions. Reply with quote

Thanks to Mike from thingparts.com, figured out the PO had a bug or bus wheel on the front which caused the rubbing. So similar but just slight variation in the design of the wheel... moved it to the back and a back to the front and perfect! Now to work on the steering shaft rubbing on the gas tank. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: