Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

I see the two head gasket locating pins on the aba obd1 2.0L block one large and one small pin. But what locates the head to the block? What centres it and squares it to the block? Is there block to head dowel pins I am missing? Can't be just the head bolts or is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

I do not believe there are any dowels or pins aligning the head to block. Just the headbolts.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

There are alignment pin tools available but many of us inline 4 guys just make our own from 2 head bolts.

Mark
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

Just cut the heads off the bolts and grind a deep slot in the center so that the newly created locating pins can be unscrewed after the head has been secured in place.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

I never had issue using just those gasket locating pins to get the head aligned correctly, but I've only done a head/gasket a half dozen times on five engines so I'm still a rookie. First one I had to do twice, and learned to be more careful in checking the head for warping...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

Check that the pins clear the exhaust manifold. I have a very vague memory of something interfering on one of my race engines years ago. As others have said, the early engines had no pins and the head bolts centered everything up. Some cut down head bolts did help to keep the gasket in place while you installed the head. Once VW added the pins, they helped to keep the gasket in place. The bolt holes in the head and block must align it well enough. Without reinventing the wheel, you will probably be fine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0L ABA block with 1.8L CIS head build Reply with quote

It's kind of a pain to swap heads on a block set at 50 degrees without the locating pins.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: