Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grease Zerks
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Grease Zerks Reply with quote

Have a 74 Thing and I don’t believe it has been greased. . Where are all the grease zerks located? Found the 4 in the front, are there any in the rear? Also found some located on the back of the break drums.
Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Zerks Reply with quote

There are none on the brake drums, just the 4 on the front beam.

Post a photo.
uglymug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Grease Zerks Reply with quote

Man, those aren't grease zerks sticking out of the backing plates on your drum brakes. Those are the bleeder valves for your wheel cylinders. Don't even think about squishing some grease up into those unless you want a mess to replace. That's where you bleed air out of your brake system, drum by drum. Wink

Ignore my signature for the time being, OP. It's not meant for you!!
1973 Marina Blue Super Beetle Project "Blooper"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease Zerks Reply with quote

I like to keep my brakes well greased. Makes them work more better. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Grease Zerks Reply with quote

There are other things the need periodic maintenance, like the door hinges and the internals of the distributor. You need a manual when you own one of these. I would suggest buying a copy of Muir's Idiot Book and then later maybe a Bentley or Haynes for a Beetle of a similar year to your T181.

There are copies of the owner's manuals in the Samba Technical Section.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/thing.php
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: