Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan belt and being prepared
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a spare belt and tools to change it?
Yes
97%
 97%  [ 34 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
lacolin wrote:
I have a spare belt. I agree its a great thing to have.
Since nobody commented, can I assume 7500 rpm in 1st gear is normal for you guys??? If thats normal driving, I would carry three spare belts! My car won't even get past 5500.

I doubt he hit 7500 unless he has a big performance motor.
7500 would probably blow up a stock motor, if you could even rev it that high

Bingo! He does in fact have a high performance engine and a trans to match.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Sounds like the spare belt and basic tools wins the beer Laughing
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

A belt in every Bug and a VW tool bag that goes in whatever car I'm driving. Spare coil, points, distributor, fuel pump...you never know.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
PS I cringed when I started to read the story, until you got to the part about pulling over immediately, Then I knew the Bug would be ok. I have read too many sad accounts of folks not pulling over when the light comes on.

Good Job, Bug On!
Thanks! I have driven hundreds of Bugs with and without belts. They can run for about a minute without any adverse damage. Beyond that minute mark and it gets kinda sticky. I worked in an aircooled independent Volkswagen shop in Chino, Ca for 8 years. I got to test that time line!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I voted yes, but I've been real lazy lately. I used my spare when i changed my belt about 3 months ago. I never replaced it. Going to get a new one in there right away. I have spares, but I just never remember to put one in my vw. This has reminded me.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

As I approach the first stop sign, maybe a sixtenth of a mile, I allow the Bug up to rev up around 7500rpm, in first gear, because I am tired and lazy. When I release the gas pedal, the generator light comes on.

Say what? Shocked

Shame on you for not having a spare. You of all people should know better than to roll without a spare belt and basic tools to change it.

I'm not gonna carry all the shit that the above poster listed. But there's a reason that VW provided a basic set of tools with the early beetles. (I'm not so sure what came with VW's later than 70.)

I guess you have leaned a valuable lesson.

Good Luck.

PS. I'm really just twisting your pickle Bro! Very Happy

I know, I know. I have beat myself up pretty good today. Feeling like that Dog that gets beat and is just hiding out in the doghouse!

However, I also figured, since this was an opportunity to share and get everyone in synch with the possibility that is ever present. Thankfully, I have had enough experience driving shitty VWs to easily get it over to the side and under a street light, really quickly after the light popped on.

You know what pissed me off that night was not having anything in the trunk. I typically carry a full array of parts and tools. Enough to tear down an engine and swap a head if needed. But, it was a last minute, unplanned, "Lets go over for a minute....". My response, "Let me wrap up what I am doing (looking at wiring under the hood, on the horn circuit) and we can go!"

I had taken all that stuff out to tidy up the wiring to the new gauges and look into the horn circuit. Never finished. Damn it! Should have known right then, I was setting myself up for a fall! Wont happen again in the near future. Give me a few months.

I wish I learned a lesson. Problem is I have already learned this one a few times. You know, instead of moving the tools from the trunk to the garage floor. Maybe instead, I should go, from the trunk to the passenger floor. That will solve it!

Thanks for not bashing me too badly! I beat myself up good. The wife was sitting in the car trying to make me feel better, it did not work. The only thing that worked a little, was making it home on that belt! Shittyist belt I have ever seen run! There were large chunks missing from it!

Now my biggest unanswered question, is why did it throw the belt? I have been hitting 7000 to 7500rpm for the last week, no issues. Thinking I need to keep it a smig tighter. I will let you guys know, when I know.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
I voted yes, but I've been real lazy lately. I used my spare when i changed my belt about 3 months ago. I never replaced it. Going to get a new one in there right away. I have spares, but I just never remember to put one in my vw. This has reminded me.

Thats why I wrote it. Hoping I could help someone from my own scary experience! Glad it helped!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
74Shovel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I used to do a lot of back country exploring in an old Jeep CJ7 alone. As a result I learned to be prepared for any minor breakdown. Basically, I didn’t want to spend the night on a mountain because a $10 part failed. I always carried a front wheel bearing kit, fan belt, a hose repair kit, lengths of electrical wire and an assortment of terminals, bailing wire, electrical tape, and a few other things. Currently, in my bug, I have a new belt, points, condenser, fuses, and a variety of tools, including a test light. In the past you could walk into just about any parts store and they would have most common VW replacement parts on the shelf. It’s not that way anymore, so my in-car parts stash also ensures I don’t have to wait a day or more to get a part which could fail at any time.

'78 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

lacolin wrote:
Since nobody commented, can I assume 7500 rpm in 1st gear is normal for you guys??? If thats normal driving, I would carry three spare belts! My car won't even get past 5500.

colin

It is a very well built 2127. Had to build it twice. It is dynamically balanced and blueprinted. It is designed to reach 8500rpm, but I am scared shitless to try for it. 7300 - 7600 is the highest range I will venture into! It just purrs so nice right around 7200!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
lacolin wrote:

I doubt he hit 7500 unless he has a big performance motor.
7500 would probably blow up a stock motor, if you could even rev it that high

No, not normal. Stock aircooled engine good for 5000, once in a blue moon. Really should stay down in the 3700 - 4000 range, as that is where the power runs out and oil starvation starts to happen. Along with elongation of the #2 main saddles! 5000 is asking alot, be careful. I rebuilt MANY engines because the owner did not stick to a lower rpm range.

My Bug's engine is a 2127, dynamically balanced, that includes the pressure plate and crank pulley. All 4 pistons have been balanced, with their rings, pins and clips are to within an 1/10 of a gram. I call it Anal but it works! Engine is designed to reach 8500 rpms as a redline. Built as tight as one can build an air cooled engine. I do not use rpm limiters, it takes the fun out of the drive. I like pushing the limits and am prepared to pay the price for it, should I make a mistake.

I just do not want it to be a stupid belt!! I rather it be me driving the hell out of it, then boom!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Yep, have belts, tools and flashlights.

I carry at least one new belt. (Dayco L335 - not a Bug belt but close enough - smaller to spin gen and fan faster - doesn't last quite as long) I also carry 2-3 of the best of my old belts.

I carry a small box of tools to be able to do light roadside repairs. With the exception of switching out a couple of distributors and a fuel pump over the years, I've never had to do much roadside repairing.

I have a ton of flashlights. Every time I pick up a trinket at Harbor Freight I get a free flashlight. If you get the free round black 3-AAA light, look for the single round (not flat) LED bulb. It throws the best light. The multi-LED oval-ish blue free light is great to flood an area like when you need to replace a fan belt or change a tire.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

streetstock70 wrote:
got my belt replaced
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice little motor there, pretty clean! I dig the orange manifold. My 914 has an orange manifold, I think it looks classy!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

My next step is to scour the pawn shops for cheap tools to make a tool bag for each car.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
My next step is to scour the pawn shops for cheap tools to make a tool bag for each car.

Harbor Freight has plenty of usable cheap tools.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I dug through buckets of rusty tools at a pawn shop and came up with a whole set of metric Craftsman sockets and a lot of Craftsman wrenches for less than $15. Picked up a bunch of extra cheapy 10 mm and 13 mm wrenches too for $3. A quick clean up and soaking and they’re good as new.

I’m a pawn shop junky.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I dug through buckets of rusty tools at a pawn shop and came up with a whole set of metric Craftsman sockets and a lot of Craftsman wrenches for less than $15. Picked up a bunch of extra cheapy 10 mm and 13 mm wrenches too for $3. A quick clean up and soaking and they’re good as new.

I’m a pawn shop junky.

Understandable. I have found plenty of good tools at garage sales and such. It's fun finding a rusty jewel. I bought a SnapOn set for $8 from a garage sale. The lady's husband had it and had passed. I offered her $40 since I knew it was way more than that but she kindly refused. I bought $40 worth of stuff Wink
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Was at an estate sale a couple weeks ago and picked through the garage and gathered a box of tools (screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, staple guns, and various other hand tools) and got it all for $1. Score.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Was at an estate sale a couple weeks ago and picked through the garage and gathered a box of tools (screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, staple guns, and various other hand tools) and got it all for $1. Score.

Very nice score Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Welł, had some time today to take care of the Bug. Drove over to Pierside parts and got to see Randy! He got me 2 new belts, some dialog and a few laughs! Always a positive experience!

Got back to the house. Went out to the garage and adjusted the valves. Two tight ones. The rest were normal. One of them, actually the very first valve I went to adjust, #2 exhaust was a bear. I loosened the jamb nut and slide my feeler gauage in, it did not want to go, so I back unscrewed the stud. Slide the gauge in, then had to tighten the stud, just a tiny amount, nice drag on the gauge. By hand, I then turned the nut till it was against the rocker arm. Got my wrench up in there, then the screwdriver. Gave the nut a slight tightening, double checked the gauge, still good. Gave the nut another nugde and nothing. No more resistance, just kept turning. Pulled the stud out, pulled the nut off. The nut was not good, but the stud had no more threads in only the area where the nut was. Never seen that before. Went to the parts stash. It was always the nut. Found an old rocker arm assembly, on the spare parts shelf. Pulled one stud with a nut. Installed it, adjusted it and tightened it. No issues!

With that completed, I installed a new generator belt. Started the car up and drove it to the beach with the wife, so that we could get a walk in. Car ran good! Got it spinning up around 8000 to see if the belt was going to have an issue. No issue noted! I like it that way!!!!

Now, I did by a second belt and threw it under the hood. Threw a screwdriver in there too. New flashlight, came in a two pack, so 2 new lights got thrown into the glovebox.

Lesson learned!!!...................again

Heres the belt that got us home. Go figure. 6 months old.

And there it is on the car.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: