Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc for the early bays
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

I have the Bustang kit on my '70 Single Cab ... love it.

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/disc...stang.html
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

That's a bit steep for a guy on fixed income Embarassed
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

So I guess this is as good a place on the Samba to hijack a thread.

I was also looking at those EMPI disk brake conversion kits that run about $900 or so. I may very well be the "guinea pig" that people were asking for, but I still haven't decided if that's the best route for me.

Long story short, here's my bus- Its a 1970 commercial kombi that was totalled in a passenger side front collision in 1973, and has been off the road since last fall, when I finally got around to welding in a replacement dogleg and trying to get the door pillars to line up. I managed to get everything ok, but it;s never going to be perfect.

i used my engine from my 71 westy, which I am retiring temporarily, and at this moment not pillaging for parts (i.e, I won't rob this car for it's disk brakes)

So, with the 70, I installed a new long brake line, rear tee and flexible lines in the back, and was surprised to find out that the original german master cylinder still worked.

but soon discovered that it leaks fluid, and the front cylinders leak, and one back cylinder leaks, and well, of course the brake shoes are at least 45 years old too.

So I'm in a position where it will cost several hundred to get all the parts left and right to make the drum setup work, or do i just spring the $900 for that EMPI kit? I've seen other kits like those Wilwood kits, but they don't come with a master cylinder so it seems like that Empi brake kit really gives me all I need, at which point I probably just would need one rear cylinder and I'll be well, way better off than what's going on now.

I know someone's gonna tell me to get a later front beam or whatever, but I want to keep my 70 fairly original,my axle beam is rust free, plus I'm in Mass so it's not like I can just pop over to a junk yard for one, and like i said, I don't want to pilfer my 71 for parts as I'm hoping to get back to it for a later restoration.. Plus, I also spent a bit of $ dismounting ant mounting the new in-2010 (and barely used) tires over from the 71 rims to some really nice original paint wide lug 70 rims, so it would be an additional cost to switch them back while at the same time incapacitating my 71 westy

There's one thing I can't figure out with the empi kits- they contain a new MC yes, but it seems like the reservoir and cap just go directly onto the MC. Are they kidding? How the hell am I supposed to check the fluid level? Can I use the two hose + brake reservoir in the car that the 70 has? I can't believe they expect you to get out of the car and climb under it to check your brake fluid level and somehow defy gravity just to top it off.

So yeah, I haven't bought the kit yet- here's a link to it.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2940.html

When I compare it to sticking with drums and buying MC (pricey if I want the two brake switch setup) 2 front flex lines at least two front wheel cylinders/probably new shoes I know it's still cheaper to go drums, but the best I'll get it is still not as nice as disks...

Tara
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot the switches. Add $40.

And the rubber lines, which you have to buy anyway since yours are not new.

Good luck, I’m on my second lap of the country this summer with my drums,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lastchancevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

Hmmm, when you itemize things out that way, it's almost as expensive as splurging for the disc kit...

however, you do make a compelling case that maybe I should give the drum system a chance, especially if at the very least, I spring for new shoes, pistons and an MC and front flex hoses. I think I have several spring kits and various other new and like-new brake bits and pieces like those adjustment wheels etc.

Why couldn't I re-use my old switches? Also, I see some places sell a 1970 master cylinder with provision for one switch, and it's a bit less expensive though you'll only be monitoring one circuit with the dash light.. Not recommended? or is that just a cheapo mc?

Seems like they still sell master cylinder rebuild kits but does anyone do that anymore?
1974 super beetle (2, maybe can be made into one)

1969 delta blue deluxe bus, half-camperized and being worked on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc for the early bays Reply with quote

lastchancevw wrote:
... though you'll only be monitoring one circuit with the dash light..

No, the brake warning light is useless without two 3-terminal brake light switches. Keep in mind that most of the world
outside the U.S. did not think that two brake light switches or the brake warning light system were useful, and VW's sold there did not have them, except possibly as an option.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: