Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering box... date?
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: steering box... date? Reply with quote

can anyone date this steering box? it is believed to be from a BarnDoor, but not 100% sure (and it is stuck, so can not check the rotating direction of arm).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,
Peter
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: steering box... date? Reply with quote

It is splined or keyed on top for the wheel?
53-55 is keyed.
It looks keyed to me as I don't see splines.

Is there a date to the right of those numbers you posted?

My '54 had a date there:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box... date? Reply with quote

Always been curious what those numbers mean? Isn’t one of them the chassis number on some early boxes?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box... date? Reply with quote

My '54 Truck above was VIN # 20-076614 so it doesn't match the numbers on the box.
I'm not aware of the box being replace on that truck

I do see 116528 on the box, which would match a late February, 1955 Bus
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: steering box... date? Reply with quote

It indeed has the key instead of the splines.

I did not check for that date-number, did not know there could be one there so did not clean up that area... will check that and see if one is marked and if it would give the Feb'55

Thanks!
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: steering box... date? Reply with quote

resurrecting this thread because i ran into a relevant article my pops wrote.

here is the article with pictures following:

DATE CODING
Type II Steering Box

By Steve Carr

About 3 years ago, I got a copy of a letter circulated by Worldwide Automobiles Corp of Long Island City, NY. The letter, dated February 13, 1959, was about transporter steering boxes and included a picture. On the picture, clearly labeled, was a date code (see picture 1).

Immediately, I went out to the garage and checked the steering boxes on my 1968 and 1954 transporters. The ’68 box was pretty clean and took only a little scrubbing before I determined it was not date coded. The ’54 box was covered with a thick layer of grease and dirt. A little digging, a little picking (actually - a lot), and I had the area indicated in the circular clean. Alas, there was no date code there.

I tried looking at other steering boxes, but the ones I was able to see were still on buses and I was reluctant to pick at the crud on someone else’s steering box. So, I had a potentially date coded part, but no confirmation.

Recently, I moved some cars in the garage and decided to look at the ’54 steering box again. There was a raised pad above the area I had cleaned before and I decided to clean this area. Lo and behold - a date code appeared (see picture 2)!

The area with the date code faces toward the rear of the vehicle and includes other production information. The steering box type number is located on a slightly raised pad between two raised circles. The number is raised, meaning it was added to the mold, not the part. Above this number is the serial number, which starts with the letter “G.” The numbers in the serial number are individually punched into the box and, on this box, not well lined up. The left circle has the letters “ZE,” designating the manufacturer, cast into it. The right circle is where the date code is located.

On this steering box, the date code consists of two separate numbers, with a long diagonal line between them. These numbers are stamped into the steering box, like the serial number. The first number(s) designates the month of production and the second are the last two digits of the year of production. This steering box is date coded 5/54, indicating it was made in May 1954. Since my transporter was also made in May 1954, that is a pretty quick turn around between production and installation.

I have no idea when date coding was started or terminated on transporter steering boxes, since this is the only steering box I have seen date coded. I assume they were dated at least until the late 1950’s, as the dealer circular shows a 9 57 date code.

Steve Carr.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: