Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 482, 483, 484 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
not at work, but graduate school? Definitely

"i was in a van, down by the river!"

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Checking my emails on the Compy2000.

For those who don't get that reference: Go to homestarrruner.com and click on rando a few times. If you have a properly juvenile sense of humor, prepare to lose about 2 hours of your life.

Vanagon content: Today, I bought coolant ATF and oil for a busy weekend of scheduled maintenance tasks. Thank goodness for dry workspaces!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
dabaron wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Checking my emails on the Compy2000.

For those who don't get that reference: Go to homestarrruner.com and click on rando a few times. If you have a properly juvenile sense of humor, prepare to lose about 2 hours of your life.

Vanagon content: Today, I bought coolant ATF and oil for a busy weekend of scheduled maintenance tasks. Thank goodness for dry workspaces!

Link

picked up some new wheels for the Vanagon last night from the classifieds here. Hoping to post photos of them on today (weather permitting, stupid rain)

BiWerks Design, LLC
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
(weather permitting, stupid rain)

We will take all that you don’t want. Can’t remember the last time it rain here.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Moved the Westy out of the lee of the house where I'd parked it in prep for Florence. My wife's new car got the garage.

We already had record wet this summer even before the 'cane. Sorry, California. Terrible summer for mosquitos and gnats when you're trying to do anything outside.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got home, pushed the garage door up wit my prop stick and when walking back to put Floss in, noticed a drip. About 2 drips in 10 seconds. Ugh! Backed her in. Will have to get the shield off and take inventory on what all's gone wrong Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The weather cleared up and I got to do some work on the Vanagon...

I swapped the wheels and inspected the brakes.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Rich_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed the on-the-road power window repair kit (door/window shim), replaced the regulator assembly, and put the shims back in my spares kit under the bench seat for future use.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OK...not so much TO, but FOR...

20% sale, "name-brand-(Crescent)-but-still-made-in-China-&/or-Taiwan" 3/4" drive 1-13/16ths socket & T-handle
(under $25 total)... Sets me up to be ready for full brakes AND rear bearing service later this fall <or> next spring.

FWIW: Rear axle nut covers courtesy of "Scotchgard" aeresol spray can caps + Krylon "hammered finish" spray paint
to match steel wheel finish...fit perfectly!

Did I mention that I'm cheap...???

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dave, nice tool Wink

I got mine back in 1988, US made. I've used it 3 times, this last time was on the kids '86, and of course a long cheater bar. Well, now the breaker bar has a good bend at the end, never did get the nuts off with it, had to order the EMPI bang-off tool, and that was also no fun nor easy.

My research here leads me towards taking the socket along to your friendly fixit shop, and have your pal spin off the nuts with a big air hammer, then clean with wire brush, and put back on with the 300ish ft#'s you'd have just with your foot on the end of your bar. Drive home, then do your project with relative ease.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Catching up on a few pieces of documentation this weekend...(recent thread about spare gas onboard reminded me to post):

I love having some spare fuel especially on road trips, but I also HATE the hillbilly look of a tall red gas can up in the
luggage rack... Evil or Very Mad My answer involves a commercial low-profile steel can (many types available...I settled on this 5 gal):

...wrapped in Reflectix (camouflage+insulation) & 4-way strapped into the rack...no bungees, please... Evil or Very Mad :

...with a ground cable & small battery clip wired to the can, then clipped to luggage rack bolt for electrical bonding
to the van frame (to prevent sparks when siphoning or refilling):

Once strapped in & under way there's no need to take it down or move it at all until the trip is done, because:

- being electrically bonded to the frame, filling at the pump can be done in place
(following normal precautions - touch frame of van before placing nozzle & filling)

- siphon to 2WD van tank directly below with standard "jiggle" siphon (at least 7' for 2WD):

This worked a treat in Utah last June, & definitely needed it a couple times on the road.
Plus, I could afford it... (Need I remind y'all I'm cheap...???) Wink Cool

- Dave

bobbyblack wrote:
Dave, nice tool Wink

PS: Thanks! I don't hear that very often... Laughing Embarassed Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got shield off, wiped around with rag. Oil leaking out of sender boot, pulled boot to a gush of oil. Cleaned that up, wiped it again and stuck my head up there to watch... About 20 seconds from wipe down to this much oil leaking at the spade connector... Showed pic to daughter who remarked "take the one from my blown engine, you can have the whole rig with the sender/sensor/adapter too, it won't go on my subi swap anyway" ... What a sweetheart Smile

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
. Showed pic to daughter who remarked "take the one from my blown engine, you can have the whole rig with the sender/sensor/adapter too, it won't go on my subi swap anyway" ... What a sweetheart Very Happy

If this and your road trip pics are any indication, you seem to be raising some good kids. Keep up the good work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I continued work on the “box too big”. This is intended to hold the propane hot water heater and some gear that never needs to go into the van (jack, leveling ramps, a modest recovery kit, possibly tire chains, etc.). Trash will also live in this box (I think it’s a more attractive, more critter resistant solution than a Trasharoo). I may store things like a bow saw and hatchet inside on the door.

The box is made of 3/4” ply joined with pocket screws. A piano hinge, gas springs, stainless latch (not yet installed) and weather stripping finish it off. It fits the width of the RMW tray And is about 2” deeper. If the large size doesn’t grow on me I’ll first trim the depth to match the RMW tray. Next step will be to shorten it about 4” if it’s still too big. I really don’t want to keep too much stuff (weight) in this box.

The white is primer, it will be painted black.

p.s. Working with gas springs is fun. I’ve learned: that the cylinder goes at the top; with the right pressure spring they just need to be attached a few inches from the hinge; proper positioning of the pivots will allow the spring to both hold the door open and closed; and, McMaster-Carr is a great source for all of the bits.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I continued work on the “box too big”. This is intended to hold the propane hot water heater and some gear that never needs to go into the van (jack, leveling ramps, a modest recovery kit, possibly tire chains, etc.). Trash will also live in this box (I think it’s a more attractive, more critter resistant solution than a Trasharoo). I may store things like a bow saw and hatchet inside on the door.

The box is made of 3/4” ply joined with pocket screws. A piano hinge, gas springs, stainless latch (not yet installed) and weather stripping finish it off. It fits the width of the RMW tray And is about 2” deeper. If the large size doesn’t grow on me I’ll first trim the depth to match the RMW tray. Next step will be to shorten it about 4” if it’s still too big. I really don’t want to keep too much stuff (weight) in this box.

p.s. Working with gas springs is fun. I’ve learned: that the cylinder goes at the top; with the right pressure spring they just need to be attached a few inches from the hinge; proper positioning of the pivots will allow the spring to both hold the door open and closed; and, McMaster-Carr is a great source for all of the bits.

This is the route I'm likely going to go for my generator box mounted on a GoWesty swingout. I'm not impressed with any of the commercially available options and they're super expensive for what they are. I'd be interested in hearing how it weathers sun & rain, etc. An interesting option for covering it I've come across lately is automotive vinyl. Its inherently waterproof, durable, and easily replaceable. One other thought was that I'm considering having the door open down to become a shelf / table when working on stuff in the box back there.
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Are those bike racks from 1up? I was wondering how those worked in a vertical configuration as I might consider them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:
Are those bike racks from 1up? I was wondering how those worked in a vertical configuration as I might consider them.

They are. I've been using them all summer and have no regrets. At first, I tested a single rack and added a few back-ups in case the rack failed but they've proven to hold bikes securely over thousands of miles, including dirt roads. I still lock the bikes to the van so they won't go far if the rack fails but I'm super-confident in the racks now.

I've owned Thule, Yakima, Fiamma and Kuat bike racks and 1UP are the best racks in my opinion. Current Thule and Yakima are disposable plastic racks and some plastic bit will eventually fail. Kuat racks are far higher quality and I still use a their hitch mount rack but now that I know 1UP I'd buy theirs due to equal or better quality and the weight difference. 1UPs design and execution far exceeds everything on the market. Fiamma is also darn good for what they do but that's not what I need anymore.

Abscate wrote:

Last edited by jimf909 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

This is the route I'm likely going to go for my generator box mounted on a GoWesty swingout. I'm not impressed with any of the commercially available options and they're super expensive for what they are. I'd be interested in hearing how it weathers sun & rain, etc. An interesting option for covering it I've come across lately is automotive vinyl. Its inherently waterproof, durable, and easily replaceable. One other thought was that I'm considering having the door open down to become a shelf / table when working on stuff in the box back there.

I really wanted to buy a box but either the quality or size wasn't there or I didn't want to pay $750 for an Aluminess. I'll finish it with something like monster liner but I'm sure it will wear over time. Building a replacement would go quickly and would also allow for changes. I imagined the door opening to the sides and down but landed on up to get it out of the way. YMMV.

Abscate wrote:

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday after work (and in the rain, come on!) i installed a modern digital media receiver. The power is switched via a fog light switch in the dash.

the wonderful part of a modern software/DSP based receiver is the ability to setup the audio configuration for the size of the speakers. the unit takes care of the cross-over network to put the right frequencies at the speaker.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What's the point of having a separate on/off switch?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 482, 483, 484 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 483 of 631

Jump to: