Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share my VW journey with you all. I'm new to VW's and this is my first!

I've always harboured a love for Bugs -my mum had 1964 Beetle in the 90's when I was a kid and my dad is an ex kombi owner and has had an unfinished Baja project in his shed for years.

My 30th birthday was back in March, so I bought myself a little treat Wink I was on the lookout for a relatively rust free Beetle for some time. They're getting harder to find in Western Australia these days, so when this old girl came up for sale I snapped her up.

It's a 1969, 1500 with a subtle two toned paint job. Odo reads 79468, but it could be on it's second rotation (or more).

My mechanical knowlege is limited, but I was keen to read and learn and do as much as possible myself.

Photos from the time of purchase:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My initial plans for 'Daisy' after sorting out any mechanical issues:

● Paint the fenders
● Install stock exhaust
● Replace corroded rear bumper
● Install stock wheels and new tyres
● Fuel gauge not working
● General cosmetic clean up
● Interior replacements: passenger window crank, broken sunvisor clip, ugly stereo, missing door handle finger plate
● One dim headlight
● Seatbelt upgrade
● Clean engine bay

It all started after a little sunset cruise two days after I bought it. I started getting some pretty heavy hesitation 5 mins into the drive. I could tell something wasn't right, so luckily I didn't venture too far from home. The engine ended up spluttering and cutting out while driving along. After a little while of being stranded I was able to get it started again, so I tried to dash home, but the same thing happened a couple of minutes down the road. This happened repeatedly, until I finally made it home in the dark after a painful couple of hours. She remained sleeping in my garage while I researched and problem solved.

The Samba became my daily reading, along with Muir's book. With these resources guiding me I dived right in!

Turns out there were a few issues going on: the float needle valve in the carb was intermittently sticking in the closed position starving the carb of fuel, hence the engine dying. This was caused by dirty fuel and crud making it's way into the carb. There was also poor fuel pressure coming from the pump due to fuel line and fuel filter blockages. Of course, the source of the crap was the fuel tank. It was corroded and the lining on the tank walls was badly peeling. The mesh screen at the bottom of the tank was non-existent.

This is a sample of fuel that the fuel pump produced. Not good!

So the work begins! I drained the tank and began cleaning it, getting ready to use the tank resealing kit I purchased. It was a tedious process, but the final result was worth it. I had the most success by putting a length of metal chain in the tank and shaking it around - this knocked the tank walls clean.

The kit I went with

The build up of crap before cleaning

After sealing

I replaced the tank outlet tube and mesh screen

See the old outlet tube Shocked

I used this time to repaint the outside of the tank too

And a new fuel sender. Finally a working fuel gauge!

I also had to clean out the metal fuel line in the tunnel. I flushed it with carb cleaner and compressed air. I was amazed at the rust flakes that came out.

Replaced both fuel filters (one under the tank, one near rear left wheel). So we're good to go! Well, maybe after a carb clean. I took it apart, carefully, and documented where everything came from and where it goes. Cleaned it all and flushed the jets with carb cleaner. The bowl was filthy. The float needle valve was a bit tight, so I gave that a soak for a couple of days. Replaced gaskets and put it all back together.

We had a lot of rain this winter, so it was good to spend the colder months working on the car with a mind to having her up and running nicely for spring and summer. By this point I was actually glad about breaking down Laughing - it forced me to start learning about the engine and how to probem solve.

I replaced the spark plugs and worn ignition leads. Checked valves - all good, set points on the distributor and adjusted timing to 7.5° BTDC. This was a great learning experience for me. It was now driving nicely, but had a bit of hesitation. I was able to fix this by adjusting the automatic choke and the fuel/air mix on the carb. I found that playing around with my 30 pict-2 carb resulted in a lot of trial and error until I found that sweet spot.

It was now time to paint! I was excited about this part - the primer grey fenders had to go. The PO had filled some dings and dents on 2 of the fenders and primed them, but never finished the job. He then painted the remaining 2 fenders primer grey because he liked how it looked?? Oh well. The paint ain't original and I didn't have a code for it, so I had it scanned and colour-matched at an auto paint store. The colour of the paint provided was dead accurate - I was impressed.

I removed the fenders and began prepping them. This whole task was wayyy bigger than I Imagined. A thankless job! But I knew the end result would really be worth it.

Unveiled a few different colours in the process

I primed, used body filler where necessary, painted and clear coated. I don't have a compressor so this was a rattle can job. I'm very happy with the result! Save for the lack of reflective shine in the clear coat. I may be able to achieve this with a good buff and polish soon though.

Added new fender beading (a little hard to install by yourself) and all new rubber seals for tail lights, indicators, and headlight o-rings.

I also knocked out a small dent in the headlight ring.

Replaced the rusty rear bumper. Just a cheapy, so I'm keeping it dry and polished as it doesn't appear to be the best quaity.

I had one dim headlight. After more Samba research I managed to find a poor ground. Fixed that up - no more black eye!

Existing stereo

Upgraded the old stereo head unit with a new one I found on eBay. It's chinese 'quality' and was like $30. It has a vintage look about it and works fine. Even has bluetooth Smile It suits the style of the interior.

And here's me on a coastal cruise enjoying the fruits of my labour. I gotta say, doing the work yourself is hard, but so rewarding. It makes driving her even more enjoyable!

And finally, Daisy making friends Cool

Still to come in this thread:

● Stock muffler install
● Stock wheels and new tyres
● Speaker upgrade and handmade wooden speaker shelf in the rear

Thanks for reading guys Very Happy
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Looks great!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
jamin12369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Cool car,
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

What paint did you use? That looks great!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Good going so far. Car looks so much better and "finished" with single-color fenders instead of the primered look. How many spray cans did you need for the fender repaint?

Are those current rims 14" diameter?

Does the engine have stock heater boxes installed, or have they been replaced with J-tubes?
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
What paint did you use? That looks great!

Thanks! The paint is an acrylic lacquer auto paint I believe. I got a small pot, but because I didn’t have a compressor and gun they put it into pressurised spray cans as needed. Went really far, I still have a quite a bit left over.

Rome wrote:
Good going so far. Car looks so much better and "finished" with single-color fenders instead of the primered look. How many spray cans did you need for the fender repaint?

Are those current rims 14" diameter?

Does the engine have stock heater boxes installed, or have they been replaced with J-tubes?

Thanks Rome. Took about 3 and a half spray cans to do the fenders, 3 coats on each. Yes, these rims are 14x6. I don’t mind them, but looking forward to going stock.

I have stock heater boxes installed, but as you can see, the ducts on the shroud are blocked so I don’t have working heaters. I’ve read that the heater boxes can overheat the heads in this situation and to avoid that I should install j-tubes. But there’s a lot of conflicting information out there.

I’ve been monitoring the engine heat by checking the oil temp, and the highest it’s reached is 85 degrees C (185F) after 1 hour of driving.

Cheers
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

That's the nicest "rattle can" paint job I've ever seen. I'll be painting my bug in the spring (autumn where you are) and am taking some inspiration from the job you did!

As for the heater boxes I'm also a noob air-cooled VW owner and the thing that's quickly becoming apparent to me is that keeping things working as stock as possible seems the best way to go. Perhaps buying a replacement breast plate so you can reconnect the heater hoses might not be a bad idea.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Quote:
I’ve read that the heater boxes can overheat the heads in this situation and to avoid that I should install j-tubes

Nah, don't bother- it's much more work to fit J-tubes than to install the long heater hoses to the fan shroud outlet and the top inlets of the heater boxes.
Stock hoses were black paper/foil; slightly cheaper are bare aluminum colored hoses but those cry out "cheap, cheap". But many people like that look of some brightness in the engine compartment compared to the flat black hoses. You also need 2 hose clamps to hold the hose upper ends to the fan shroud outlets so that they don[t blow off from the fan pressure. The lower end of the hoses friction-fit onto the heater box inlets. And you'll also need a fat rubber ring, like an onion ring, to fit over each hose where it passes through the rear breast plate engine tin.

Here's a really nicely done stock '69 engine from the gallery where you can see the hoses connected. This one has hose clamps at the bottom of the 2 outer hoses where they pass thru the engine tin. The clamps are directly above the rubber onion rings. ON your Beetle with that 4-tip muffler, you don't need those lower 2 clamps; just push the hoses through the breast plate tin, bend them so that they line up with the heater box inlets, and push them on. You still need those rubber onion rings so that the hose is not split broken by rubbing against the edges of the engine tin holes.
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

themrfreeze wrote:
That's the nicest "rattle can" paint job I've ever seen. I'll be painting my bug in the spring (autumn where you are) and am taking some inspiration from the job you did!

As for the heater boxes I'm also a noob air-cooled VW owner and the thing that's quickly becoming apparent to me is that keeping things working as stock as possible seems the best way to go. Perhaps buying a replacement breast plate so you can reconnect the heater hoses might not be a bad idea.

Thanks for the comment! I’m happy with the spray can results. I do think the high quality paint makes a big difference. Yep, I think you’re right about staying stock.

Rome wrote:
Quote:
I’ve read that the heater boxes can overheat the heads in this situation and to avoid that I should install j-tubes

Nah, don't bother- it's much more work to fit J-tubes than to install the long heater hoses to the fan shroud outlet and the top inlets of the heater boxes.
Stock hoses were black paper/foil; slightly cheaper are bare aluminum colored hoses but those cry out "cheap, cheap". But many people like that look of some brightness in the engine compartment compared to the flat black hoses. You also need 2 hose clamps to hold the hose upper ends to the fan shroud outlets so that they don[t blow off from the fan pressure. The lower end of the hoses friction-fit onto the heater box inlets. And you'll also need a fat rubber ring, like an onion ring, to fit over each hose where it passes through the rear breast plate engine tin.

Here's a really nicely done stock '69 engine from the gallery where you can see the hoses connected. This one has hose clamps at the bottom of the 2 outer hoses where they pass thru the engine tin. The clamps are directly above the rubber onion rings. ON your Beetle with that 4-tip muffler, you don't need those lower 2 clamps; just push the hoses through the breast plate tin, bend them so that they line up with the heater box inlets, and push them on. You still need those rubber onion rings so that the hose is not split broken by rubbing against the edges of the engine tin holes.

Thanks for that helpful information Rome. I’ve just found a stock muffler, so I’ll be installing that over the next couple of days. I’ll get my hands on some heater hoses and the clamps too.

Where is the pre heat hose from the oil bath air filter supposed to go? I see it goes down into the breast plate tin?
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

I recently removed the 4 tip exhaust and fitted a stock muffler and pipes. I went with a Jopex branded one - wasn't too bad in terms of installation and fitment.

It’s nice and heavy and seems to be good quality. A lot of other brands I looked into had poor reviews regarding quality and seemed like they didn’t line up well with heat risers etc.

The old exhaust removed! Luckily the old bolts weren’t too seized. I gave them a dose of WD-40 the day before.

Lined up pretty well, but not perfect - I had to manipulate it a bit to get it bolted up. This would have been easier with another pair of hands helping me.

I’ll have to shimmy the pods around a bit to get them to line up with the heater boxes when I eventually get the heaters working again.

I’m really happy with the change. I love the stock look with the pipes, and it sounds awesome! Finally got the typical VW fweem Smile She sounds chirpy and happy now.

Getting there!
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Very nice work!
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

I literally did the same exact thing with my '68 VW1300 about 3 weeks ago! Totally agree...the fweem is worth the effort!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

It seems to me that the stock fweem is now the rarity. Nowadays a loud pipe on a vw is like tattoos, I tell my kids I'm a rebel for not having one. The stock beetle muffler stands out from the crowd when I hit the local cruises with it. "Look that one chirps!"

You are doing a great job with that bug. It's looking good!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Very nice work!

Thanks Smile

themrfreeze wrote:
I literally did the same exact thing with my '68 VW1300 about 3 weeks ago! Totally agree...the fweem is worth the effort!

Buggeee wrote:
It seems to me that the stock fweem is now the rarity. Nowadays a loud pipe on a vw is like tattoos, I tell my kids I'm a rebel for not having one. The stock beetle muffler stands out from the crowd when I hit the local cruises with it. "Look that one chirps!"

You are doing a great job with that bug. It's looking good!

Thanks guys. The VW growl can sound awesome, but I don't think you can beat that traditional fweem. It's an unmistakable whistle! Plus the tail pipes just look so good.
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Time for a safety upgrade! I replaced the existing front seat belts with modern 3 point retractable belts. I found these on eBay from a car restoration shop.

The existing belt on the drivers seat was twisted and being held together with a knot. I like the idea of not dying, so was happy to get this upgrade underway Razz

Surprisingly, the bolts included with the new belts had the same thread as the existing ones, so I was able to upgrade the fixings while I was at it.

The arms on the buckle bolted nicely into the tunnel. These are rigid arms, so it makes for easy access.

The tricky part of the install was making a bracket to bolt the retractable spool onto. The belts I was replacing only had the two anchor points, and I needed a third for the spool. I made a bracket so I could share the lower anchor point with the spool. It sits up against the rear kick panel, but still allows for the back seat to be lifted up for battery access etc.

Feels so much safer and more secure now. Really happy with the result!
Xhai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

I finally managed to hunt down some stock rims and hub caps after searching for some time. They were a little worse for wear - a bit of rust and flaking paint, so I had to clean them up before primer and new paint.

Primed and ready for paint

I decided to do them satin black with a white trim to give the illusion of white wall tyres

The hubcaps had a bit of surface rust and a couple of small dents I managed to knock out. WD-40 and some 000 steel wool brought them back to a nice finish.

Masking them up for the white paint took a bit of time

I did about 3 coats of the black and white before finishing up with a satin clear coat

Fitted with new Hankook 165/80 R15 tyres

I love how they turned out! Especially the white trim. Really happy to lose those hotwire rims and go back to the stock look. Feels a lot nicer to drive with the new tyres too Very Happy
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Those rims look great...I did the EXACT same thing to my rims when I first got my '68 over the summer and they made a world of difference in the appearance of the car.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

You're doing a great job putting that bug back to stock. It looks so much better with the stock rims and muffler.

Nice job

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: My '69 and my journey so far. Lots of photos! Reply with quote

Nice work!
Coming along nicely Very Happy
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: