Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Refreshing a 1966 Dune Runner Mini Mercedes. Bought a 1600dp, supposed to be fresh, wouldn't run right. Part my fault with firing order mistakes etc. Mostly motor. Dead #4, good compression in 1-3 but poor leak down results.

So, new long block is now in the car with .009 distributor, new plug wires, cap, rotor, new exhaust, new 34-p3 carb, max 3.5psi electric fp, new intake gaskets, fresh fuel filters and fresh gas.

Carb is set 2.5 turns out on both screws and choke is freshly set.

Static timing set at 10 deg before TDC.

Cat starts, runs smooth as long as I keep rpms up, revs easily (though not pushing it as it's a brand new motor). As soon as I let the throttle settle back to idle position engine shuts down. Does not sputter, just stops.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ in Seattle
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Does the solenoid on the L side of the carb click when you turn on the key?

If yes try unscrewing the larger adjustment screw another turn, any better?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Yes it clicks. Will try the idle speed screw.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

let me guess, 34-3 carb and W110 cam?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Tell us what brand "new" 34-3 carb you purchased? Many of these new Chinese carbs are junk out of the box, especially the low cost ones.

I'd make sure the carb is clean first of all. Many folks report them being very dirty from manufacturing.

I'd do what busdaddy suggested first. Back out the volume control screw 3.5 turns out. Will it idle now? 2.5 turns out for the volume and the bigger bypass screw is initial settings. My volume control screw is 3 1/4 turn out to idle beautifully.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

First set your throttle arm screw correctly. With fast idle cam to normal running position, use a piece of paper and adjust the screw till you feel a slight drag. Then turn the screw in 1/2 turn. Dont touch it ever again.

Assuming you confirmed the choke is opening and closing properly.

Now turn the big screw out a few more turns if it still doesnt idle. Keep going until you get a decent idle speed. If it works so far, then set speed to around 900 or so. Adjust idle mix to max idle speed, reset big screw if needed. Then turn screw in until you think you hear the idle drop a tiny bit.

This is nothing magical - pretty much whats on the VW-resource.com site.

If this doesnt work, have it idle as fast as you need to keep it running smooth and check your intake junctions for vacuum leaks using the method of your choice,
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommiebsmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

When adjusting the valves does the motor turn over easily?

I ask because I went to assist a guy with a NEW engine tune after install ..
it would start and run but would not idle .. turned out a bearing was laying over
and pinching the crank..

so I look at that also first and quickly.. then move on to other issues..

just an idea??
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
Hi All,

Refreshing a 1966 Dune Runner Mini Mercedes. Bought a 1600dp, supposed to be fresh, wouldn't run right. Part my fault with firing order mistakes etc. Mostly motor. Dead #4, good compression in 1-3 but poor leak down results.

So, new long block is now in the car with .009 distributor, new plug wires, cap, rotor, new exhaust, new 34-p3 carb, max 3.5psi electric fp, new intake gaskets, fresh fuel filters and fresh gas.

Carb is set 2.5 turns out on both screws and choke is freshly set.

Static timing set at 10 deg before TDC.

Cat starts, runs smooth as long as I keep rpms up, revs easily (though not pushing it as it's a brand new motor). As soon as I let the throttle settle back to idle position engine shuts down. Does not sputter, just stops.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ in Seattle

Unless you have an original German 009, your timing is WAY off. Make sure it is set at 27 degrees total advance and let the timing at idle fall where it may. I would start at 0 at idle if it's a chinese 009.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Not sure who the maker of the carb or 009 distributor are. Followed some of the advice here and had the car running and idling, thank you all.

Took the car in yesterday to Porbugs here in town, the appointment had been previously made for the previous motor before I ran the leakdown. Had them go through the motor and set it up properly. $200 later, it runs great now with two small issues.

1) Pretty significant hesitation at low rpm
2) Hard start when worm, have to crank it for a bit to get it to catch.

The hesitation may be due to the 009 dist, I've read that can be an issue. The hard start I have no idea. Thoughts?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
Not sure who the maker of the carb or 009 distributor are. Followed some of the advice here and had the car running and idling, thank you all.

Took the car in yesterday to Porbugs here in town, the appointment had been previously made for the previous motor before I ran the leakdown. Had them go through the motor and set it up properly. $200 later, it runs great now with two small issues.

1) Pretty significant hesitation at low rpm
2) Hard start when worm, have to crank it for a bit to get it to catch.

The hesitation may be due to the 009 dist, I've read that can be an issue. The hard start I have no idea. Thoughts?

The 34-3 carb matched to an 009 distributor is your cause of the off idle hesitation or flat spot. It's a known mismatch.

To cure it you need an SVDA distributor. It stands for single vacuum, dual advance. The vacuum advance assists the transition from idle to acceleration smoothly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block. Starts, revs, won't idle. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Thanks all. I will be investing in an SVDA distributor soon. In the meantime the car is up an running pretty decently. It turned out my gas tank had a coating of sludge in the bottom. Pulled it and cleaned thoroughly and now is running pretty well. As long as the tank was out and the hood off, did the dampener and short tie rod and adjusted the steering.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: