Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Post! Have a question about my turn signals
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachrf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Hello, new owner to a 86 GL. I have searched every forum about this but not specifically my issue has came up. All hazards work, left side works fine, and all running lights work.

Front right turn signal does not flash, only the rear, very fast which means bulb burned out usually. replaced bulb, connections are spotless. I know the two stage works because the hazards work.

What next?

Im shipping roxanne to oahu in january and they have safety inspections which include working turn signals.

Thanks all[/img]
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Put the VOM on the socket with the signals on. No voltage, stick a pin through the wire ahead of the socket, no voltage, stick a pin through the wire at the other end. A bad wire if voltage there.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

If all 4 lights blink in hazard mode, you can eliminate a lot of testing. I would would start with checking and cleaning the contacts in the turn signal switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

If the wiring is reversed in one of the turn signals, I think it will only blink if your headlights are on and in hazard mode. I can’t remember the color of the wires that may need switching but maybe someone else can chime in. The PO of my van had them backwards and those were the symptoms I had. Does your turn signal flash with headlights on? Usually you can tell if your wiring is reversed because one of the turn signals when lit up as a parking light will be brighter than the other.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Had similar issue where someone jammed wrong bulb into socket.
zachrf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
If the wiring is reversed in one of the turn signals, I think it will only blink if your headlights are on and in hazard mode. I can’t remember the color of the wires that may need switching but maybe someone else can chime in. The PO of my van had them backwards and those were the symptoms I had. Does your turn signal flash with headlights on? Usually you can tell if your wiring is reversed because one of the turn signals when lit up as a parking light will be brighter than the other.

perfect! swtiched the two outer wires and viola it works great. Now onto the task of figuring out how to go about upgrading my headlights. I almost cant see anything at night unless the high beams are on. Considering the gowesty round conversion kit, or finding all the parts on my own. I like the square look and the round but round gives more options. Daily rain and dark skies at night on oahu i will need some nice lights.

Thanks
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Two things at GW resemble your mention of round's. First is a early grill, with just two headlights. Second, the South African version, with two large rounds, and two smaller ones.

Lots of folks see how 'updated' the SA kit looks, and throw the money that way, while it is cool and all, its bling.

The early rounds have plenty of options, like the Jeep LEDs, etc.

Depends on your wallet, I guess.

If you keep the squares, there are higher power bulbs, and power relay kits to make sure that you don't melt your harness. Either of these will be lots more light than the stock wattage.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Related ancient history: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453838

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
zachrf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: First Post! Have a question about my turn signals Reply with quote

Went with the 80-85 grille and LX-Light 7 inch round LED lights. Good reviews on amazon did it all for 360 bucks with adapters and brackets. Couldnt justify the price for the south african, and i personally dont like it over the old model grilles. When I install the new headlights do i just leave the old high beam plugs to dangle?

Zach
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: