Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

The Daughter owned an 2004 Passat. Nice but very problematic. Always in the garage with electrical gremlins.

On the other hand, I bought my GTI new in 2012. Today I have 102,000 trouble free miles. Only been to the dealer for it's 36K "free" servicing and some recalls for a water pump, wire reel in the steering wheel and something to do with the software. Previously owned a 2002 Jetta bone stock. Racked up nearly 300k major problem was A/C compressor went out, cam position sensor and a water pump. But I digress......

I still think VW makes some cool cars Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Chili P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

I don't think the water cooled bugs have changed that much, they got a little rounder and a whole lot faster. As far as reliability goes I'm sure you'll find as many people who have better luck with them as people who don't. I have yet to have a bad experience with a Volkswagen myself "knock on wood".
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Chili P wrote:
I don't think the water cooled bugs have changed that much, they got a little rounder and a whole lot faster. As far as reliability goes I'm sure you'll find as many people who have better luck with them as people who don't. I have yet to have a bad experience with a Volkswagen myself "knock on wood".

Exactly!
And........
Welcome to The Samba Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Those that work on the newer Beetles know plenty of clients that have serious issues with them. They may look good, but certainly they are not VW's best/reliable car they've ever made.

Those in the know, they are a POS and would not buy one.
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Yet, they are based on the Golf platform, are they not?

Chris
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Just because they share many of the same components does not mean they are the same.

I can honestly say they do not age well. Once you get to 100k, be careful.

I just work on them. It's my experience that I share, nothing more.
STEAK_BUG72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

The latest news from VW is that New Beetle production to end with 2019 model
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Yes. here's a thread about it
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706949
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

everything changed when production shipped to mexico on certain models i the VW of old began its mutation...have you seen the new Jetta R model...its a disgrace to even put the R badge on that.....haven't seen a gli for the year
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

R models are just a trim level one step below SE.
Just like Chrysler Calls all it's next to lowest Stripper Models "Sports".
The funny thing about Mexican Built VW's is that they are statistically more reliable than German Built VW's.
The Mexican & American built VW's are designed more for "what the German's believe the American consumer wants".
But VWoA Marketing (Germans with their heads up their asses) rarely gets it right.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Watercooled VWs have always been popular with the trendy folk. Many VW enthusiasts have owned one or had some type of positive experience with them. I've had my 56 Beetle for 18 years and had a 86 GTI for 5 years. My friend's older brother was massively into Sciroccos and GTIs, and had some really nice examples, so I found them interesting. Recently I got the desire to own another Golf, started researching and bought one I have wanted since they came out in '04:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a very fun and capable car after removing the previous owners poor modifications. My plan is to keep it mostly stock, I might even start a thread here for it.
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

My wife wanted a "toy" but nothing aircooled mind you,ended up with a 2001Cabrio automatic transmission 2.0 engine.The lady we bought it from told us what it needed a leaking water pump was one of the issues and not knowing when the timing belt was done that too.Since I was doing these thought the coolant hose could use replacing you can't get the damm upper coolant hose anywhere nobody has them.This came as a shock use to having an aircooled you can just about any part you could want,I'm going to have to "enginner" this stupid hose.Told her if this kind of crap keeps up there's going to be a for sale sign on it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

cloval wrote:
Watercooled VWs have always been popular with the trendy folk. Many VW enthusiasts have owned one or had some type of positive experience with them. I've had my 56 Beetle for 18 years and had a 86 GTI for 5 years. My friend's older brother was massively into Sciroccos and GTIs, and had some really nice examples, so I found them interesting. Recently I got the desire to own another Golf, started researching and bought one I have wanted since they came out in '04:

It's a very fun and capable car after removing the previous owners poor modifications. My plan is to keep it mostly stock, I might even start a thread here for it.

Nice, R32?

I've looked at these a few times, it's hard to find one that hasn't been messed with.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
cloval wrote:

Nice, R32?

I've looked at these a few times, it's hard to find one that hasn't been messed with.

Yes, R32. Correct, they are difficult to find unmodified and for a decent asking price. I was starting to research with the intention of buying a year or two from now and only went to look at this one because it was local to me. Overall, it was in much better shape than I expected, but had to look past a few dumb, but easily reversible "mods" the owner had done. I knew it could be a long time before I found another TR with cloth, so I had to go for it. I was able to talk the owner down $2k from his asking price, so I got a good deal.
cloval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

nreslifer wrote:
My wife wanted a "toy" but nothing aircooled mind you,ended up with a 2001Cabrio automatic transmission 2.0 engine.The lady we bought it from told us what it needed a leaking water pump was one of the issues and not knowing when the timing belt was done that too.Since I was doing these thought the coolant hose could use replacing you can't get the damm upper coolant hose anywhere nobody has them.This came as a shock use to having an aircooled you can just about any part you could want,I'm going to have to "enginner" this stupid hose.Told her if this kind of crap keeps up there's going to be a for sale sign on it

Yes, its odd and frustrating how some parts just are not available or easy to find. My car pictured above has three lower intake grills. Two are easily found at the VW dealership for a reasonable price. The other is no longer made, I had to order it from the UK and it wasn't cheap, but I have the correct part.

Watercooled people, check https://vwpartsinternational.com/ for parts that may be NLA in the US
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

I was an air guy but sold the last one a few years ago, that was my 59 singlecab I drove for 10 years. Then was cruising in an 89 fox manual trans that I hated more or less. Maybe if it wasn't red and it didn't just die at any given moment for 15 minutes or two days. I actually had to put it in gear and turn the key to use starter to get me off the road.....................Now that I think about it I hated that car. That was the winter car for about 2 years. Damb thing floated though I can tell you that but thats for another time. The last time it died on me I had it towed to my buddy's shop and told him to call the scrapper to come get it. That was when I met my 99.5 jetta 5 spd manual 2.0........ Yeah yeah yeah, 2. slow..... I've heard it but its fast enough for me, easy to work on, plenty of parts in the junk yards and just one hell of a nice ride to me, so much that I picked up a 2000 golf automatic 2.0 and a 2005 gti 1.8t with that funky tiptronik 5 spd automatic but its red Mad cheap though. I myself am an MK4 guy for sure, love the body lines, no bullshit fins or grooves, just clean all around. So Yeah, when it comes to water nothing but 4's for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

We have had WCVWs for years as the Winter car, or Salt collector as I call them.Started w/ a '85 Jetta in '94, a string of '88-'89 Jettas, we built a '88 Fox wagon fro my daughters 1st car (it was free to us) for $750 in parts & our labor, she had a good runner, same for my son. a free '90 Gulf, got it on the road for $650, thru all this we had Rabbit trucks (3). We now have a '11 Jetta wagon for my winter rig, I have had over 30 ACVWs, and always have one or two on hand, but we do need a car for the 7 months of Salty weather...

Some of the WCVWS we have now.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Mobbzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

I think like beauty, cool is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve had quite a few air cooled VW’s, definitely cool but also prone to playing up. I’ve only recently come back to VW’s but I decided to go to Passat because of the rarity. Someone has to try and save them, because yes, they were unloved. Things like Corrados, B3’s, Scirrocos, etc were great looking cars to me.
My shed.....

Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

Still cool after all these years. ‘12 golf 2dr 2.5-5spd. 75k mi. NEVER an issue. Just returned from a road trip as follows: From Indianapolis (home) to Birmingham to Gainesville to Sanibel to Marathon to Key West to Gainesville (that was a 10 hr day!) to Chattanooga to home. 3200 mi, avg. 66 mph (I. momentarily touched “the ton” at one point), avg. 37.5 mpg. I’ve had this car since ‘14 and it’s still tight and quiet and loves to be driven. Have yet to put new struts or pads on it, though pads are probably due. Always puts a smile on my face.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Cooled VW's Not So Cool These Days Reply with quote

It seems this might be the best place for me to post a little "success story", though it isn't really all that cool, just reliable.

Thirty years ago today (April 30, 1991) we took delivery of this little 8 valve GTI. It has been a faithful car that spent it's first decade as my wife's car and since then it has been mostly mine. We both still have more fun driving this little car than anything else we've owned.....

I gave it a good washing and changed oil as a birthday present, and we're looking forward to more years of service!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: