Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worried about driving long distance.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerNameIsRita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

Autumn is coming up and I really want to take some long road trips around New England to camp and explore the region. I've had my bus for 4 years now and have experienced some breakdowns along the way, which has made me hesitant to drive further than the 100 mile towing distance offered by AAA.

My 77 automatic seems to be running well (pretty rough for those first 10 minutes though) and I take it to the mechanic twice a year. I want to explore beyond the 100 mile radius but I'm also worried about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere from some unknown problem, without any means of getting home.

Does anyone have any advice they could share? I feel like I need to plan out the worst case scenario so I don't have to worry anymore.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

It really comes down to how handy you are with minor on-the-road troubles, and what shape your vehicle is in. There are threads that cover what spares to carry, and I’d recommend a shakedown drive that is long but still nearby, sort of a big loop.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

Cant you extend the mileage limit with AAA?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Cant you extend the mileage limit with AAA?

Yes, you can.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

The biggest influence you can have is to fix known issues and perform preventative maintenance to as best as possible avoid having problems in the first place, second is to learn how to fix the vehicle yourself to deal with most unforeseen issues that may pop up along the way, and third would be to travel with others that can help out if possible.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

I'd check the tranny fluids (ATF and gear oil), and be sure they aren't mixed, indicating a seal failure. Running it a long time with that seal leaking will kill it. So I'd drain both and examine the fluids, then refill.
HerNameIsRita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I'd check the tranny fluids (ATF and gear oil), and be sure they aren't mixed, indicating a seal failure. Running it a long time with that seal leaking will kill it. So I'd drain both and examine the fluids, then refill.

I just had my transmission rebuild but..... I think the mechanic forgot to add fluid. I drove around for 60 miles before checking the stick and seeing it was bone dry. I may need another transmission Mad
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

HerNameIsRita wrote:
I just had my transmission rebuild but..... I think the mechanic forgot to add fluid. I drove around for 60 miles before checking the stick and seeing it was bone dry. I may need another transmission Mad

Are you checking the fluid level when warm, engine idling, and the transmission lever in neutral?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

HerNameIsRita wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Had that happen on a Honda once. I didn't feel like putting in a clutch because it's a royal PITA. Paid a shop to do it for me. They never put oil back in the trans. I picked it up, and headed out to Pittsburgh to see a friend. When I got on the interstate, I remarked that the trans sounded loud and I should check the gear oil when we got there.. well about mile 80, the 5th gear exploded. Good times.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

When owning an Aircooled VW the first rule is to work on and understand your vehicle. Always always double check what the mechanic say they did.
As far as trips go this weekend it will be close to a 500 mile run in the 68 type 1. The boy scout moto be prepared.
Sort out the issues and drive it more.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

HerNameIsRita wrote:
Autumn is coming up and I really want to take some long road trips around New England to camp and explore the region. I've had my bus for 4 years now and have experienced some breakdowns along the way, which has made me hesitant to drive further than the 100 mile towing distance offered by AAA.

My 77 automatic seems to be running well (pretty rough for those first 10 minutes though) and I take it to the mechanic twice a year. I want to explore beyond the 100 mile radius but I'm also worried about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere from some unknown problem, without any means of getting home.

Does anyone have any advice they could share? I feel like I need to plan out the worst case scenario so I don't have to worry anymore.

I get it, and this really is a metal block thing, not a VW Bus thing.
The only way I deal with it, is to simply suck it up, and do the trips.
Plan a mild trip that has some VW resources along the way,
make sure you have a good credit card to buy yourself out of any problems.
All the mechanical advice here is good, I can add nothing more about that.
You're a New Yorker, so you already know how to keep yourself safe, so have a good trip.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

We just did a 10 hour one way, 10 hours back trip in our Manx copy 2 weekends ago. 7 degrees above freezing when we left and rained steady for the first 2.5 hours, no roof just biker rain suits. It got better from there fortunately.

"Go for it, the Lord hates a coward!" I believe is how the saying goes!
HerNameIsRita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you checking the fluid level when warm, engine idling, and the transmission lever in neutral?

Yup. The levels are all good now.

I checked into AAA and it's only $30 for an additional 100 miles. Not a bad deal!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

well AAA RVPLUS has 1 200mi tow and several 100mi tows per year.. for ~$130.
that's what we carry.

Transporterfest is Sunday of Columbus weekend.. maybe you get the monday off to make it a easier trip?
I just checked and Brooklyn, NY to Brookline, MA is ~212miles.
https://goo.gl/maps/asQGXdnhZnk

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695844
Stanagon wrote:
Join us for the 32nd annual gathering of the Buses, and all VWs, on the historic lawn at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum from 9am – 3pm. Open to all VWs. Swap meet set up at 7:30am. Please, NO earlybirds before 7:30am! No T-shirt vendors. No pre-registration, just show up on the day of the show. Event is rain or shine with on-site food vendor and indoor restrooms. $20 show registration or vendor fee (cash only!) includes auto museum admission for all passengers in vehicle. Thur-Sat. camping at Winter Island marine park, Salem, MA. See www.larzanderson.org for directions and Sunday show information. Contact Stanagon via e-mail for vendor or pre-show camping information: stan_wohlfarth(at)msn.com, or txt/call: 508.333-7813.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/index.php#14769

Last year's show event pix:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=Transporterfest+2017

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

There have been various lists of people willing to help an aircooled driver in need over the years. The AIRS list seems to have died since I was last active in aircooled cars, but a new list has taken its place: https://aircooledrescue.com/

I would take note of the people who will be along your route. Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

To give us an idea of what state your Bus is in, can you tell what kinds of failures you have had in the four years you have driven it, and how you managed/repaired them?
HerNameIsRita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
To give us an idea of what state your Bus is in, can you tell what kinds of failures you have had in the four years you have driven it, and how you managed/repaired them?

There were a lot of issues with the engine not starting in the beginning. Once it was because my carb was overflowing or gunked up from rust in the gas tank. I had the tank replaced last year along with all the hoses and filler neck.

Another time it wouldn't start becuase of a worn down neutral safety switch.

There was that one time my ignition switch went bad and my engine would cut out while driving.... while in the Lincoln Tunnel. It took a while to figure out that problem.

I had a spark plug blow out somewhere in NJ. It was my understanding that the seal on the new helicoil needed 24hr to harden before driving so I was towed back to Brooklyn.

The battery die while filling up at a gas station and needed to get towed to a local sears.

My biggest concern is I can't problem solve myself. Each time something happens I usually don't know why so this aircooled rescue looks pretty promising Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

Other than the questionable head (due to the helicoil), none of those issues sounds like the kind that will recur on your trip. So I'd try the shakedown drive (let it get good and hot, like an hour at high speed, then shut her down, wait 5 minutes, and try to restart. If all goes well, you're probably fine.

Replace ALL your fuel lines.

I'd have the extra towing, a fully charged cell phone, and a list of Samba or other folks along the way who might help out. Carry the recommended tools and spares (perhaps for your cavalry, not you) from those threads, like:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703987
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522905
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199730
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339878

Don't forget comfort items in case you have to wait a while for your knight in shining armor. Blankets, water, TP, food, good walking shoes, etc.. Assume you are stuck in one place for 48 hours and plan for it. Leave contact info and your itinerary with a friend.

Some would recommend personal protection equipment (the lead kind, not latex).
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

HerNameIsRita wrote:
Autumn is coming up and I really want to take some long road trips around New England to camp and explore the region.

I want to explore beyond the 100 mile radius but I'm also worried about getting stranded in the middle of nowhere from some unknown problem, without any means of getting home.

New England isn't really the middle of nowhere. Worry about safety, not breakdowns.
People often just rent uhauls and trailer their vehicles home when very far from home and broken down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Worried about driving long distance. Reply with quote

Get a Bently manual, take a section at a time, and go compare manual to your bus to get familiar with what is what. Lay down underneath and trace out what is going on, and where systems connect and diverge. Simple things can help- the PO of my bus labeled all the vacuum hoses and connections to correspond with a photo diagram that is often posted here. I have written the specs for point clearance, dwell, and timing on the fire wall as handy reference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: