Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Ghia bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Does anyone know what to use to polish these stainless steel bumpers?
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I don't know if it's available in the land of the long white cloud, but Mothers metal polish can reliably produce a mirror finish on stainless steel, although it's difficult to avoid leaving some swirl marks. If CiderGuy doesn't chime in here you might send him a PM, as I believe he has professional experience in this regard.
Just add the [/img] to complete this link to an example I posted awhile back: [img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1765669.jpg
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
I don't know if it's available in the land of the long white cloud, but Mothers metal polish can reliably produce a mirror finish on stainless steel, although it's difficult to avoid leaving some swirl marks. If CiderGuy doesn't chime in here you might send him a PM, as I believe he has professional experience in this regard.
Just add the [/img] to complete this link to an example I posted awhile back: [img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1765669.jpg

Would this be the Mothers polich I need? https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1...lsrc=aw.ds
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Would this be the Mothers polich I need? https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1...lsrc=aw.ds
It would appear so; it's the same brand, but I've not seen that machine applicable formulation. This is what we have locally: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05106.html#&slider1=21
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Although I haven't done much polishing, I have heard some very good things about Flitz Metal Polish.
It's probably worth a few minutes of Google time to chek it out, anyway.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Whatever you use I would try a spot on the bottom of the bumper first in case it does not work right.

I have used the Mother's with good results on aluminum wheels.
helen_nguyen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

palaken wrote:
Great news for all ! Just installed a set of 69 bumpers from PTT "Helen" and other than minor problems with hardware being short they installed without a hitch. VERY happy with result. No problems with bad front brackets on the outer ends. Everything lined up without a problem. They must have been listening. Contacted them direct and got a great price and they arrived very quickly.

If anyone is interested I have a complete original bumper set. Usable as is but both front and rear center blades are blistered. I will be happy to furnish photos upon request.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very happy when you are pleased about our bumper quality.

I dont want to say anything. If someone are interested in our product, pls get one set to check. Because i know some of them in here, they are competitor with me.
helen_nguyen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

My company have promotion to discount on 10% for VW Karmann Ghia US and EU style.

If anyone want to check quality, you can buy one set to see it.

That is the best price for this time so please try to get them soon

I am assure that you will be pleased for Ghia.
helen_nguyen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
myghiarocks wrote:
I contacted Helen through the add here on the Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2133758

Don't suppose you have the link or her contact info? I found someone on Facebook name Cathy but a little Leary of how legit.

Thanks bud!

You can search name Helen Nguyen on facebook to contact me. i will give you the best price for bumper.
trhett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I have owned an Iso Grifo with stainless steel bumpers and rocker panels for over 40 years. The best product I have found to polish them with is Mother’s metal polish, with cloth diapers or cheesecloth if carefully used in straight lines. Numerous of us Italian car guys swear by it and have won many awards over the years with no bad effects on the stainless or on magnesium.
My VW project is a 1974 Ghia being rebodied with a ‘71 front clip and a ‘70 back clip with a rebuilt 1776 engine. I would like to put stainless ‘70-‘71 bumpers on it and curious how Helen’s from Vietnam are for workmanship and how the service is. No prices on her website.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

trhett wrote:
I have owned an Iso Grifo with stainless steel bumpers and rocker panels for over 40 years. The best product I have found to polish them with is Mother’s metal polish, with cloth diapers or cheesecloth if carefully used in straight lines. Numerous of us Italian car guys swear by it and have won many awards over the years with no bad effects on the stainless or on magnesium.
My VW project is a 1974 Ghia being rebodied with a ‘71 front clip and a ‘70 back clip with a rebuilt 1776 engine. I would like to put stainless ‘70-‘71 bumpers on it and curious how Helen’s from Vietnam are for workmanship and how the service is. No prices on her website.

Thanks for the advice on the Mother's metal polish. I ordered 2 sets of Euro style bumpers from Ms Nguyen and the price (about $800 per set) was good and the delivery prompt. If it wasn't for the ill-fitting front bumper corners and the front overriders I would have given them a 10 from 10. If you read this thread, the ill-fitting problem with the corners may have been corrected - and as Mellow Yellow has pointed out, could in any event be corrected by bending the bolt-seats at each corner. I may just have been unlucky in receiving non-Euro or incorrectly labelled overriders because no one else has complaiend about that.

Ask for a no-questions-asked retrun policy with shipping inlcuded. If the ill-fit problems have been solved I'm sure Ms Nguyen will oblige because the service and the quality and price are good.
trhett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Thanks. I’ll wait for a reply and might give them a try!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Any new words on these bumpers? I'm just about to pull the trigger on a set of european ones.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I recently bought a set of Euro bumpers from Tynda out of Vietnam. I'm not done installing them so this report might be a bit premature, but so far I’ve been cautiously impressed as far as stainless bumpers go. First thing I did after assembling them was compare the front bumper to an original and the Tynda one seems to be the right length. Can’t yet speak to the angle of the bolt plate however. I've mounted the rear and it went on with no issues. Here are a few pics:

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
I recently bought a set of Euro bumpers from Tynda out of Vietnam. I'm not done installing them so this report might be a bit premature, but so far I’ve been cautiously impressed as far as stainless bumpers go. First thing I did after assembling them was compare the front bumper to an original and the Tynda one seems to be the right length. Can’t yet speak to the angle of the bolt plate however. I've mounted the rear and it went on with no issues. Here are a few pics:

How long did it take to recieve them?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
How long did it take to recieve them?

Just under 2 weeks from payment to delivery
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
TISO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

Does anyone know which bumpers are these guys selling (Harrington, PTT, Tynda or something else)?

https://www.bumperworld.eu/bumpers/vw/s/335
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I have a set from Bumperworld (ordered maybe in late 2017 for around 900 euros or so, very fast delivery!). The finish (from my humble opinion) is absolutely superb Surprised like glass! I will protect the back side with a coat of some silver paint (just in case), and keep the front side waxed Smile

On what I cannot comment is the fit. I retrofitted early euro bumpers to a late 72 Ghia, so the brackets had to be modified anyway so that everything fits Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

What type of Stainless are these bumpers made from? Why are people painting the back side to protect them?

If these are made from a 300 type of SS, they should not rust.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Ghia bumpers Reply with quote

I'll put it like this.... I bought some "el cheapo" bumpers for my bug (not the best ones, but not the brazilian ones that rust after the first summer, just something in the middle), and painted the back side and waxed the front.

Even if the price was really low and I expected no lasting qualities, after 3 summers, they still look as good as new.

Is it because they were good in the first place, or because I protected them? No idea..... But if that coat of paint protects them, for me it's worth it Razz Let's say just some extra piece of mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 42

Jump to: