Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 trans in my oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vegasoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

I need help from anyone who has a 67 trans with a type 2 nose cone
In their oval. I am having a problem with the type 2 nose cone bolts hitting the body. First I thought it was the front trans mount. But i completely took the mount off. With the mount off and trans in place it still hits the body. The piece of the nose cone that stick thru the pan in resting on the pan. It can't go any lower. Do I dent the body to allow fitment? Any feed back would help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Read this thread,it might help. Nice oval, you should of started a build thread. I like the pic at Koch’s Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508875

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

What year is your Oval?

I once mounted a later full synchromesh transaxle in a 1953 Oval without problems or denting the body.
As far as I remember, this is what I used: Bus nose cone 211 301 205H, Bus gearshift rod (hockey stick) 113 311 541 and Bus front transmission mount 211 301 265A.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Vegasoval wrote:
In their oval. I am having a problem with the type 2 nose cone bolts hitting the body. First I thought it was the front trans mount. But i completely took the mount off. With the mount off and trans in place it still hits the body. The piece of the nose cone that stick thru the pan in resting on the pan. It can't go any lower. Do I dent the body to allow fitment? Any feed back would help

Have you figured this out yet?
Did you use basically this setup?
http://ranchotransaxles.com/shop/type-2-nose-cone/
I curious which bolts are hitting.
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Vegasoval wrote:

Have you been able to solve it and how?

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Vegasoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

I have a bus nose cone in it now. Found some help from the local vw community they were telling me to put an adapter made by Empi sells on Cip1, ordered have not fully installed yet. Thanks for all the feed back

Last edited by Vegasoval on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vegasoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

So I'm wondering if I have the wrong bus nose cone. Has anyone tried using the one that Rancho sells.
Vegasoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what I got in there now. The numbers read 211 301 2112
Vegasoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

I'm gonna try ordering the one from Rancho or find one like the one ovally suggested. That way I won't need to use the adapter. Adapter is a solid mount style, not sure if I'm going to like that option.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Vegasoval wrote:
I'm gonna try ordering the one from Rancho or find one like the one ovally suggested. That way I won't need to use the adapter. Adapter is a solid mount style, not sure if I'm going to like that option.

I used the one from Rancho on my 56 ragtop, worked perfect. The hockey stick even comes pre-drilled both sides.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Vegasoval wrote:
So I'm wondering if I have the wrong bus nose cone. Has anyone tried using the one that Rancho sells.

The Bus nose cone is what you need, along with the Bus hockey stick for it that has been dimpled on the the top side for the shift coupler.

The transaxle will slightly hit in the later oval window Bugs. You have to dimple the panel behind the seat just a little to clear 2 studs/nuts on the nose cone. Using the Bus front mount might help as I think it has larger studs for a better fit in the nose cone.

I don't think early ovals and splits would have this issue because the body sheet metal in the area was a little different.
Vegasoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Vegasoval wrote:

I used the one from Rancho on my 56 ragtop, worked perfect. The hockey stick even comes pre-drilled both sides.

Talked to Bob from Rancho he said with their type 2 nose cone and hockey stick should have no issues and no need for an adapter. Placed on order will let you guys know what happens.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Better check the '67 axle length. I think the axles and tubes on the '67 are a bit longer and it will give you a wider stance that might cause the wheels to rub the fenders.
AceHH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

My Problems are similar https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=707384
It seems, someone welded the front gearbox support, now my trans is too low and my engine too high.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

I used all factory parts and it went right in on my '55. I was still able to buy genuine mounts from VW. the full synchro saddle mounts sat a little lower than the split case mounts. The other issue is the full synchro trans installed is a bit longer so you lose engine compartment space. When I installed the late fresh air engine in my '55, I took the heater boxes off, exhaust system off and generator pulley off. I also took the lower engine mount studs out until I got the engine up. Felt like I needed a big shoe horn.
AceHH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 trans in my oval Reply with quote

Motorhead55 wrote:
I used all factory parts and it went right in on my '55. I was still able to buy genuine mounts from VW. the full synchro saddle mounts sat a little lower than the split case mounts. The other issue is the full synchro trans installed is a bit longer so you lose engine compartment space. When I installed the late fresh air engine in my '55, I took the heater boxes off, exhaust system off and generator pulley off. I also took the lower engine mount studs out until I got the engine up. Felt like I needed a big shoe horn.

My main problem is, that it seems no one here in Germany can fix that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: