Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been having issues when only shifting down into 2nd on my '72 Beetle. Gearbox number is 113 301 103. I have ruled out a bad shifter setup having completely replaced all the bushings to no avail. I therefore reasoned that the 2nd year synchro was bad and took apart the tranny after finding lots of metal shavings on the end of the drain plug.

Most notable wear seems to be on the reverse gear and 1-2 slider where the ends are rounded off and shiny. I am now wondering if this still is a synchro issue and 2nd gear doesn't seem to have much wear on it at all.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dariusz.

Shift fork is brass.

1-2 Slider:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1-2 Slider teeth:

Reverse gear:

1st and 2nd gear Synchros:

2nd Gear:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

I'll start you off. Bent shift fork? But I am no expert.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Hi again Jimbo! Here's the brass shift fork:

It does appear to be quite straight:

Kind regards,
Dariusz.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Are the syncros warped? set them on their respective gear and see if it wobbles. How do the teeth on the inside of the selector hub look?

On second gear, you need to find the primary dog teeth and check for wear/chips taken out of the primaries. Primaries are slightly wider dog teeth that are usually in 3 groups of 3 equally spread across the gear.

My bet is worn/warped syncros

Set the second gear syncro on second gear and post a picture of it.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Lay the synchro on the 2nd gear hub and measure the gap. I don’t have the specs on hand but if the gap is narrow it’s worn... if your in it that far, you’re gonna replace them anyway, but it will let you know if it was the contributor to the 2nd gear crunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help thus far.

The inner teeth of the slider:

The primary dogs on the 2nd gear seem to be sharp with no visible chips or dings:

The 2nd gear synchro doesn't touch the gear yet and sits at about 0.8mm:

However, there does seem to be quite a bit of wobble in it:

Link

Kind regards,
Dariusz.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

My service manual lists .6mm as the wear limit on the synchro, you’re close... could be the problem. I’m no expert and I struggled rebuilding mine. I’m sure others with more experience will chime in.... transmission threads are much more fun for many of us to help with 😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Dang...thats a good looking 2nd gear. That syncro definitely worries me, as I'm sure it worries you and other people. That syncro for sure needs to be replaced. Not sure how far you are into this, or what your budget is, but if it were me this is what I would do:
New syncros all around

Clean everything super well and inspect all gears and sliders for worn dog teeth, check all bearings for wear and smooth operation, make sure the shift rails are tight in their bores with acceptable play.

You may be able to take a small file to the reverse gear and the teeth on the 1/2 slider to clean up the teeth, make them sharp again, but don't remove too much material. If they don't clean up very well, maybe consider new reverse gear and 1/2 slider. Just remember, reverse doesn't get used all that much.

Remove ring gear bolts and torque with red loctite - cheap insurance.

Possibly look into getting a steel 1/2 shift fork. Brass ones are known to fail. Just a simple upgrade to make sure you won't need to get in there again. (If you decide to do this, make sure the fork is compatible with your slider. There are different slot sizes and different fork thicknesses)

Then reassemble with new gaskets, seals, etc.

Check all your endplays and what not, and take your time with the jig. The last thing you want to do is have to get into this tranny again.

Good luck!

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Put the 1st gear synchro on first and turn it with light pressure, you should feel a little dragging effect. Then do this on second gear, my guess is that it will slide easier. The synchro cone surface on the gear looks to be polished and almost starting to blue.

I'd take a scotch brite pad to the cone surface and haze it up and remove the bluing/ worn effect you can see in the photo. Also pull the synchro on either side of the key areas and see if it is broke, it will open up if it's broken.

If you've driven the car for a while, I'd ask if you down shift early into 2nd gear like coming off the highway. Or if the down shifting grinding happens when you wouldn't release the clutch.

Gimmedatharpboy wrote:
Thanks for all your help thus far.

The 2nd gear synchro doesn't touch the gear yet and sits at about 0.8mm:

Kind regards,
Dariusz.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Why don't you put a shift rod in the fork and use a square to see if it's bent?

Syncro sure looks bad to me, since it doesn't fit right, but, I'm no expert.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

The rocking 2nd gear syncro is a problem. If I recall (it's been several years since we struck oil and I don't have to work) the 1st gear and 2nd gear have different part numbers for the syncro rings and the 3rd and 4th gears use the same part number for the syncros. Somebody that still has to work on these can verify that. The part numbers cast into the rings, I think. They should almost "clamp" onto the cone. Not rock for sure.

The brass 1-2 fork is weak. I have in a pinch taken a late model steel one and machined down the pads to fit in a 1-2 slider groove.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
The rocking 2nd gear syncro is a problem. If I recall (it's been several years since we struck oil and I don't have to work) the 1st gear and 2nd gear have different part numbers for the syncro rings and the 3rd and 4th gears use the same part number for the syncros. Somebody that still has to work on these can verify that. The part numbers cast into the rings, I think. They should almost "clamp" onto the cone. Not rock for sure.

The brass 1-2 fork is weak. I have in a pinch taken a late model steel one and machined down the pads to fit in a 1-2 slider groove.

There are three different syncros, 1, 2, and 3/4. All different part numbers. Weddle has them all organized nicely on their site.
And yes, a new syncro does fit quite snugly on a good syncro cone and sits much further away from the gear. It’ll “feel” good

To the OP, looks like you have an early style 1/2 shift fork and slider. Weddle does sell new and used steel shift forks for both early and late for a pretty fair price, and incentives again, it’s a very worthwhile upgrade especially considering that your brass fork looks like it’s getting a little thin.

Another thing to check is the brass reverse gear fork/cradle that holds and moves the reverse gear. An overly worn reverse cradle can make it a pain to get reverse to set up and work right. Just post up a pic of it if you want and I can take a look at it, it’s another cheap insurance thing.

Distributors are lame

Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's input so far, this has been a massive help. Here is what the cone on the 2nd gear looks like, it's quite shiny:

Here are the reverse fork and cradle:

Kind regards,
Dariusz.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

The part numbers for that trans are 113 311 269a for first
113 311 269 b for second
and 113 311 295 d for 3-4
It is commen practice to use the same second synchro for first and second.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Brilliant thanks mcmscott!

Here are the numbers on my first and second synchros:

I am trying to decide what type of 1-2 shift fork I have. It seems to have the 3 distinct pads of the later style but doesn't have the thickness (4.85mm when new):

Maximum thickness measured of mine is about 3.9mm (0.1535 in.).

Kind regards,
Dariusz.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

2nd gear synchro ring sometimes cracks .. something you won't even see until you try tugging it apart.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Cheers gears, will definitely be replacing the synchros having come this far. I have managed to find the right shift fork. It's 113-311-551 for the 61-72 year beetles.

Kind regards,
Dariusz.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Gimmedatharpboy wrote:
Cheers gears, will definitely be replacing the synchros having come this far. I have managed to find the right shift fork. It's 113-311-551 for the 61-72 year beetles.

Kind regards,
Dariusz.

61 thru 67 were 4mm steel, 68-72 were 4mm brass, 73 on were 5mm steel. For the most part, there were some deviations to this, but "generally" this is true.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Reverse fork looks pretty decent. Definitely scuff up all the syncro cones with scotch bright if you can. Syncros like having a little something to grab onto

Distributors are lame

Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding down into 2nd tranny teardown Reply with quote

Thanks allamaabroad, will definitely be doing that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: