Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

I've never ordered from Rock Auto, but it seems to be a great place to order from. You type in the part you're looking for and a list comes up with all the available items, the brand, country or origin and pricing. I paid about $50 for the both items.

On a sad side-note, my BMW was stolen along with a 65 Vespa from the locked yard at my shop. A shitty way to start my birthday week.

That sucks man, but Happy Birthday week!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks JoeTiger.

On a positive note, I guess I have more time to work on the Bus. Current goal is to get it on the road by the end of the month. Some friends are hosting a scooter rally in Deadwood and I have a camp spot reserved.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Summer has come to pass and the Van project has stalled a bit. A lot of work and a mid-summer's move has sidetracked the project, but I haven't given up!

My next goal is to get the Bus up and running as I just can't push it around by myself and I'm a one man show. I'll be ordering the billet coolant bleeder and a few other odds and ends to get this this thing rolling. I also need to remove the fuel tank, run new fuel lines and address a little bit of rust at the dog-leg just aft of the fuel filler. I'm going to keep plugging away with what I can get done, eating this elephant one bite at a time.

In the meantime, I converted a Syncro to a Westy for a local Syncronaut:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've never drilled so many holes in my life!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Nice clean work on that poptop conversion.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks! It's a really neat Bus with some nice accessories and an engine conversion. Should be a great Bus with a little more work. I'm sure the owner will be very pleased.

Makes me glad I have a Westy to start with!
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

A little more bumping and filing on the hatch. Interesting to note the orange filler under the original paint on this panel. I've noticed this stuff in a few other locations.

I bumped all the lows up.

The panel was very flat.

I skimmed it with a touch of filler to smooth out any imperfections. I like to weigh out the filler for consistency. 2% activator.

Blocked.

Two coats of epoxy. Three coats of Feather Fill.

Time to let it gas out in the sun for a few days then on to final blocking.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Work on the Bus has been slow, but I did manage to get up to RMW/Van Cafe' for some parts: SS coolant lines, hoses, fuel tank and re-seal kit, etc...

And of course a cookie.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I put this little rack extension together in order to make it easier to access the rack as well as have a more convenient place to hook up tie-downs. Light and functional. It should make for a nice grab handle getting up to the rack. I put threaded bosses on the ends as well as installed a couple of inserts in the front for potential accessories like a light bar:

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

On a good note, my BMW was recovered a little worse for wear. The "temporary custodian" put a solid 4000 mile on it since it was stolen. At just over 10,000 miles, I'll put it back on the road better than before. This will be the the bikes 4th paint job since new...crazy. Leaning towards the brown used on early Westy's. It will definitely be a Bus color.

Jerks.
Colorado Springs
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Beautiful job on that roof rack rail. Looks like it should have been a factory option.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Yeah that's an awesome front rack setup. So much more clamping options.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice compliments about the rack. Part of building this Van is to prototype some parts I'd like to produce in the near future.

Though I still have quite a bit of metalwork to complete, I want to get the Bus running so I don't have to push it in and out of the shop by myself. This thing is heavy! Prior to installing the new tank, coolant lines, etc... I want to address the seam rust on the Passengers B-pillar.
Common seam rust:

I noticed some swelling between the panels up high.

And some rust creeping into the wheelwell.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

In my opinion, there is only one way to properly tackle seam rust; remove and replace. If you don't pull it apart, you don't know what's inside. Quality paint work is too expensive to waste on a Van that will be rusting from the inside out. I would never buy a Van with a fresh paint job without photographic evidence of how it was restored and I would suggest that you do the same. Rant over.

This is what I typically find:

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

The rotten metal was trimmed away and replaced where needed.

Finished B-pillar:

The forward section was blasted, then blasted again to remove all remains of rust. There was some slight pitting but not enough to be a concern. I got the flange cleaned up, drilled out the holes for plug welds and soaked it in phosphoric acid.

Ready to install.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Tacked. I use weld-thru primer at the seams.

Welded and finished.

The next step will be to get it driving so I don't have to push it around!
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

A little more...Sprayed with Omni epoxy, then the seams are mopped with thinned epoxy inside and out.

New tank with fresh rubber, a new VDO sender and RMW/VC aluminum crossover fitting kit.

Several coats of Herculiner on the bottom. Surprisingly, you can buy this stuff at Lowe's.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

When I picked up my SS coolant lines at RMW, I got the 1.5 pipes. As it turns out, my original lines are 1.25. Apparently 85 is the cut-off year.

I don't mind modifying the Bus to take the larger lines, but is there an advantage? I plan on building a stroked WBX in the future, but are the larger lines beneficial or am I going to spend the time modifying to no real advantage?

Opinions?

If I continue with the larger lines I'd like to fab a die and press a plate which could be riveted over a trimmed out portion of the firewall to carry the lines. If there are enough folks converting to the larger lines, this could be an elegant solution to where they penetrate the firewall instead some hackery. Any opinions on if it would be worthwhile to produce and sell something like that?

Thanks for your thoughts and for following along.
Colorado Springs
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Beautiful job on that roof rack rail. Looks like it should have been a factory option.

Yep, I sure do like the luggage rack. It's a good looking and functional improvement.

Glad you got your bike back. Like you, I've used my BMW motorcycle to serve tractor duty as well. One of my favorites was hauling an old rhododendron up a hillside. A tractor would have been best but I don't own one. Very Happy

Thanks for the updates.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

The luggage rack is mint!

I want one like that to mount a solar panel when driving but easy take off so i can park in shade and set up the panel in the sun. All while not losing some space underneath space for chairs/fire wood or w/e! Looking forward to possible production!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I began fitting the new SS coolant lines to discover that the Bus originally had 1.25" pipes. My contact at RMW/VC mentioned that it's a prudent upgrade to install the 1.5" pipes. He mentioned that the currently available radiators are 1.5" inlets.

The original mounting in the rear had to be modified so I came up with this adapter plate which will be rivited to the firewall once the old flanges are trimmed out.

Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: