Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find 62!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Hey folks, a couple of weeks ago I got back into the aircooled side of things, when I bought a 62 that's been sitting in my buddy's barn for a little over a decade. It's in pretty decent shape, and has been repainted at some point, and has new looking seat covers and door cards.
The engine has been removed, and included in the purchase was an AR15, and a 1970 1600cc single port engine coded B6.
The flywheel included looked pretty rusty, and was for a 180mm clutch, but I had a brand new 200 mm 12v flywheel, and installed that today.
I'll need to order a new clutch, but I think it will turn out well.
Is there any difference in the input shaft splines that would keep this setup from working with my '62 transaxle?
I'll post photos in a little while, I posted the barn find photos in the gallery and in the "bug hunting" thread.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by thechief86 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

No difference mating it up. However you might need to clearance the inside of the bell housing in a few spots to clear the 12v flywheel.

Oh, and save that flywheel. I think the 6v flywheel for the 1600 crank was only a 1 or 2 year item on the bus? Someone might want it.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Pruneman! It looks like this car had already been converted to 12v, as the bell housing has already been clearanced, and it came with a 12v starter, generator, and voltage regulator. Yesterday I sandblasted and painted my rusty heater boxes, as well as the crappy Empi muffler that came with the car. I found out that Rockauto actually carries a ton of bug parts, including stock mufflers, and even merged headers, and even dual relief aluminum engine cases cut for 94's! I was quite impressed!

Last edited by thechief86 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos, including some from before it was stashed in the barn.

I also installed a new flywheel and front main seal yesterday, as the reason the engine was removed in the first place was a massive oil leak. The flywheel had been removed, and sat somewhere moist, I guess, because it looked like it had been recovered from a shipwreck.
Either way, I had a new stock flywheel laying around but it takes a 200mm clutch, so I'll order a new one of those soon as well.
The good news is that after torquing the flywheel, the endplay on this engine is perfect! I'd be willing to bet it has been rebuilt before, or is a somewhat low mileage unit.

Speaking of engines, I am somewhat in the midst of having a friend assemble a 1904cc engine for me, that I anticipate should make over 100 hp. Will the 62 swingaxle transmission hold up to this? I won't be racing, but I will be driving it 80 miles a day in big city traffic many days, and will regularly open the tap so to speak, in the interest of not being run over.
I daily drove my last bug with a 1600cc single port, and also with a 1679 dual port and dual carbs (maybe 80 hp?) and never had a problem, but that car was mostly a 73, including the IRS transaxle. I drove that car for over 10 years, and never had a problem aside from occasional burnt out points, stopped up fuel filters, and once had to replace the passenger side cylinder head because a valve seat had sunk enough that there was no lash at the rocker.
That was maybe 300k miles between the two engines. The 1679 was pulled only because it had excessive endplay after the crank case being flooded with gas and diluting the oil.
(This is how I learned Kadrons don't handle excessive fuel pressure well).
Anyway, thanks for looking! I'm very excited to be a bug owner again, and now with the added security of having a tdi Jetta to drive every day when the bug is under the knife.
I haven't decided whether to lower this one yet or not, but I really liked how the last one looked.

Last edited by thechief86 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Looks like a great start! Keep us updated with your progress. Burnouts and "barking" between gears is the only thing to watch for. Drive it as you should and it should be fine. Problem is, when you have an engine like that, you tend to do those things from time to time... Wink
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
I also installed a new flywheel and front main seal yesterday, as the reason the engine was removed in the first place was a massive oil leak. The flywheel had been removed, and sat somewhere moist, I guess, because it looked like it had been recovered from a shipwreck.
Either way, I had a new stock flywheel laying around but it takes a 200mm clutch, so I'll order a new one of those soon as well.
The good news is that after torquing the flywheel, the endplay on this engine is perfect! I'd be willing to bet it has been rebuilt before, or is a somewhat low mileage unit.

Speaking of engines, I am somewhat in the midst of having a friend assemble a 1904cc engine for me, that I anticipate should make over 100 hp. Will the 62 swingaxle transmission hold up to this? I won't be racing, but I will driving it 80 miles a day in big city traffic many days, and will regularly open the tap so to speak, in the interest of not being run over.

I daily drove my last bug with a 1600cc single port, and also with a 1679 dual port and dual carbs (maybe 80 hp?) and never had a problem, but that car was mostly a 73, including the IRS transaxle. I drove that car for over 10 years, and never had a problem aside from occasional burnt out points, stopped up fuel filters, and once had to replace the passenger side cylinder head because a valve seat had sunk enough that there was no lash at the rocker.
That was maybe 300k miles between the two engines. The 1679 was pulled only because it had excessive endplay after the crank case being flooded with gas
and diluting the oil.
(This is how I learned Kadrons don't handle excessive fuel pressure well).
Anyway, thanks for looking! I'm very excited to be a bug owner again, and now with the added security of having a tdi Jetta to drive every day when the bug is under the knife.
I haven't decided whether to lower this one yet or not, but I really liked how the last one looked.

Don't drop the clutch at 5500 and it'll be fine.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Just ordered some new axle boots and a 200mm clutch kit for my big for $112 shipped to my door, for a Sachs clutch and Bilstein boots. Not bad!
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Nice score. Keep the pictures coming.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

NICE door panels Shocked

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Awesome car! Can't wait to see how it cleans up. I'll bet just a good washing will go a long way.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

With all of that giddy up and go hopefully you will have brakes. A stock 1600 would be fine, probably less fiddling too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
NICE door panels Shocked

They are nice because they aren’t original. The seat covers, door panels and carpet are new. Car was repainted at some point too.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Yeah, unfortunately, there isn't much original stuff about this car, but it was cheap enough. It was originally a sweet toothpaste green color, found inside the frunk.

As for the fiddling, brakes, giddy up side of things, this isn't my first rodeo. I know if it goes, it needs to stop. The 1904 is mainly only a thing because I already had all the parts and dual carbs and whatnot laying around.
If I didn't want to fiddle with it, I'd buy a Corolla.
If the car was anywhere close to original, I'd keep it that way. I bought this car because it is the cheapest, least rusty example I've been able to find, at $2500.
It should clean up pretty good, and maybe even drive pretty good with the 1600.

Last edited by thechief86 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

I think you did well for $2500.
TYBUGGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

How do you people keep finding these treasures. I’m always looking and never came close to a fine like that. Good luck. Applause Applause Applause
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

TYBUGGER wrote:
How do you people keep finding these treasures. I’m always looking and never came close to a fine like that. Good luck. Applause Applause Applause

I'll admit, I cheated, lol. The owner of this car has been a good friend of mine for several years, and has had this sitting in his barn as long as I've known him.
He also has a restored 71 vert, and a survivor 68 sunroof beetle. He bought this car about a decade ago, in beautiful, clean condition, but with the engine removed as it is now, and stuck it in the barn. He didn't do a single thing with this car other than drag it home with a towbar, removed the bumpers, stuck it on some harbor freight car castors, and forgot about it. When he stuck it in the barn, the car had recently been driven, and had been kept in a small garage in Muncie, IN. The kid he bought it from had had it painted, and the interior and window seals and headliner redone, and gave up on it after removing the engine to replace the front main seal.
I knew the whole story up to this point several years ago before Jim was ready to sell, but now that it looks so pitiful in that dark barn with all that dust and bird shit on it, he's finally accepted that it would get more love in different hands.
Whether I decide to modify the car or not, the story still continues, and it's much better in my eyes than watching one more of these awesome little cars return to the earth.
I'm still amazed how one of the most popular and widely sold vehicles in history can still manage to be so unique, and yet remain so relevant.

I decided to take a peek at local bug prices in my area on Craigslist this evening, as well as the classifieds here on TheSamba, and I'm realizing that I did quite well for my invesment. Smile
I sold my rattle can black 73 with 66 fenders on it, empi 8 spokes, and a 3" drop via Cut 'n Turn, with a 1600 single port (and a little bit of rust) last year for $3500, and regretted letting it go. This car has far less rust, far less ghetto rigged BS on it, decent paint, and a new looking interior for $1000 less, and is by default a more collectable/desirable model by virtue of being the older one with towel bar bumpers and the cooler headlights, and all the stuff that goes along with being an early 60's model.
(yes, I realize that the newer ones were faster, safer, handled better, etc... but the older ones have more character, that's why I put early fenders and bumpers on my 73)
I'll try to finish putting the tins and exhaust back on the engine over the next couple of days, and as soon as the clutch and axle boots arrive, I'll start working on cleaning the car up and preparing to stick the engine back in, and inspect the fuel tank, and replace all the rubber lines, as well as blowing air through the hard fuel lines, and checking to see if the brakes work.
Somewhere in this preparation stage, I'll also hose the barn dust off the best I can, but won't stress actually washing and detailing the car until it's running again.
If the brakes don't work, I'll most likely convert to dual circuit brakes while i'm replacing all the rubber lines and wheel cylinders and master cylinder already. No point in half-assing the brakes on something that has been sitting this long. It would be a shame to wreck this thing over a little bit of lazyness or cheap-arsedness.

Last edited by thechief86 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Brown Santa delivered the rest of the parts I needed to finish putting my single port back together! I should be ready to stick it back in the car in the next week or so!
Things take longer these days, as I'm working 14 hour night shifts, 6 days a week until December, and the car is still in the barn, an hour away...
One little annoyance is that while my engine sat under my carport waiting to be put back together, with a brand new flywheel just installed, some random dog has come under the carport and pissed all over my new flywheel, causing it to flash rust! Boy am I mad!
Cleaning it off now with Scotch Brite and wd40, but dang. I have a female dog, I KNOW it wasn't her hiking a leg on my poor little motor. Sad

Anyway, I may take the engine to where the car is, and hose the barn dust off the car Monday afternoon, and possibly go ahead and install the new axle boots and put the shifter back in, and I guess I'll check out the brakes and get an idea what that system will need after this 12 year or so barn nap...
. Once the car is somewhat clean, the next step will be to install the engine, and make sure the fuel tank is clean, and get it running! I'll put the bumpers back on eventually as well, and get some good used tires for it.
(Not ready to buy new ones yet, as I may lower the car, and possibly put alloy wheels on it, which will get the new tires. I'll probably stick with the smoothies, though.)
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

It's quite possible that the flywheel rust was just from the humidity in the air, same thing will happen with brake rotors too if it's rainy and humid out.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Gathered up some more parts, and took further inventory of my car. The brakes work, and the fluid looks clean and new, as does the reservoir itself. The fuel tank looks pretty crusty, so I removed it to do the kerosene and chain trick, or perhaps to give Evaporust a go. I've used it before, with good results, just never tried it on a gas tank yet...
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 62! Reply with quote

Today I pushed the car out into the daylight and removed the fuel tank to clean all the rust out of it. For the first time since I bought it, I noticed that the car is missing the headliner completely, so I guess one part of this process will be to remove the back windows and install a headliner. Woohoo. Lol.
I have all the little bits and pieces now to get the tins, generator, fan and shroud on now, as well as the correct clutch to run a 1600 with a 200mm clutch in a 62 bug. It's just a matter of putting it the rest of the way together now and plugging the engine in for that part to be done. The brakes work, but at least one wheel has a sticking brake, so i'll just plan to do some brake work, and just replace the master and all 4 wheel cylinders, and most likely upgrade to a dual circuit master.
I did find one rust hole that is about 3"x4", and was patched with a piece of sheet metal JB welded into place, and then covered with half a can of expanding foam in the very front "firewall" area next to the brake master cylinder. I removed the foam, and will chisel off the JB Weld patch and weld in a better patch eventually. Other than that, even the original battery tray area is very solid. I am so far quite happy with the lack of rust I've found, although I'm sure there will be more lurking as I get more in depth looking for it. There ALWAYS is more rust than you originally thought.
Anyway, here are pics of the car in the daylight for the first time in over a decade, and my son helping us check it out. He even helped us push the car out of the barn!

The decklid is just kinda set on there for now to keep rain out of my transmission, and the passenger front fender is missing half the bolts, but I think the car has great potential to be nice again.
I'm just moving very slow on it because I only have one day a week I can work on it, really.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: