Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

I stumbled upon a aircraft rebuilding firm that mills an O-ring groove into their engine cases.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.lycon.com/uploads/4/4/8/8/44889763/crankcase__seal.pdf

Are there any shops out there that do this on VW cases?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Bernie Bergmann used to do that.

If you prep your cases properly, they typically don’t leak at the parting line, though.
Plenty of other places first, no doubt.

Say your case was mangled by a guy trying to pry it open with a screwdriver or something,
Some will use unwaxed dental floss slit in half to seal those.
Another trick from aircraft..

What’s That Noise?!?
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Is that the same Tom Wilson that wrote the "How to Rebuild..." book? Smile

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Bergmann

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482344
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

I'd rather spend the money on a o-ringed oil pump, if that's even reliable
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

There was some mention some time back of using combination of quality non hardening sealer and a silk thread to make up for any case imperfections....No machining required...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

moderns sealants are good enough you don't need to resort to that sort of thing anymore.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
moderns sealants are good enough you don't need to resort to that sort of thing anymore.

Agreed....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

I don't even want to know the milling cost......... Crying or Very sad
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

I have considered this for my valve covers.
I dont see the need as far as sealing goes......either for the case or the valve covers.

Why I was thinking valve covers was to get some metal to metal contact so some heat could transfer out the cover.

As it stands the thick gaskets isolate them. The only appreciable heat transfer is from whatever oil splashes on them. I doubt much heat leaves by valve cover.
But......
If there was metal to metal contact around the seal area.........
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

if you eliminated the thickness of the gasket many valve train combos could hit the inside of the cover
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Sorry Paul but milling that groove is wankery, right up your alley, just kidding Razz
For one thing there is no reason to surround the bolt holes, as you will not have any problem there unless the bolt is loose. In between the bolt holes the metal might eventually warp apart slightly, and having a groove there may do some good long term, but you don't need an o-ring, just sealant, and since it is silicone sealant you don't need a perfectly machined groove, just freehand is OK.
Why? well, lets say silicone sealant is amazingly flexible and can flex 5x it's thickness. WOW, but five times .0002" is still no more than .001, so a groove lets you have a greater thickness of sealant so it can flex far more. This was used extensively through the 80's

Another solution is to put small bits of dust in the sealant to create a calculated gap of .002-.004", such as permatex GREY silicone. however, you have to be careful where you put this stuff because precision machined assemblies not made for it, you screw up the fit, or weaken the joint between the two metal parts because it's not as strong as metal on metal.
on the engine case the oil sump area it would work fine, but you would have to stay away from the bearings. this is what subaru is doing. OLDER models used regular silicone sealant everywhere, Newer models you use the sealant with the...media in it, but have to apply it according to a diagram. looking at the diagram is clear that they are just doing the perimeter and you keep it away from the mains.

using either of these, or a combination, requires no special tools, and could be done by anybody, if you know how. and will work just fine if you do it right.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

That may be true in the automotive world where pretty much anything goes but in aviation world you go by the manuals, no deviations. If there was ever investigation with loss of life and they found artistic license by the mechanic he could lose his license and or face criminal liability. Whole different school of thought.

Part of training back in the day had us rebuilding an air cooled Continental 0470 and it got the silk thread, no sealant of any kind just a greased thread, and it didn’t leak when we ran it up. There also was no machined groove just perfectly matching case halves, way thicker more heavy duty. I’ll find a pic.

These are from the 50s and don’t they look familiar?

This a later 0520 from early 60s flat 6 I could imagine VW engineers borrowing ideas from this as it predates type 3
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Yamabond is the $hit.I use it on everything.I have a case that the previous owner used screwdrivers to split open in various locations and this stuff sealed it no problem.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

That may be true in the automotive world where pretty much anything goes but in aviation world you go by the manuals, no deviations. If there was ever investigation with loss of life and they found artistic license by the mechanic he could lose his license and or face criminal liability. Whole different school of thought.

Part of training back in the day had us rebuilding an air cooled Continental 0470 and it got the silk thread, no sealant of any kind just a greased thread, and it didn’t leak when we ran it up. There also was no machined groove just perfectly matching case halves, way thicker more heavy duty. I’ll find a pic.

These are from the 50s and don’t they look familiar?

This a later 0520 from early 60s flat 6 I could imagine VW engineers borrowing ideas from this as it predates type 3

If not mistaken the VW 2 cylinder opposed aircooled, which was predecessor to the 4 cylinder opposed as we know it today was developed by Volkswagen somewhere around 1933, the 4 cylinder first appeared around 1936 if I have my history facts correct.... So who borrowed from whom?

Dale

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Why is there any more liability for an airplane than an automobile?

Hundreds of Thousands more people die in car crashes than airplane crashes and yet auto mechanics are not held liable for a death when the engine blows up and causes a fatal crash.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Quote:
vwracerdave
PostPosted: Today 9:25 am Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Why is there any more liability for an airplane than an automobile?

Hundreds of Thousands more people die in car crashes than airplane crashes and yet auto mechanics are not held liable for a death when the engine blows up and causes a fatal crash.

because when a car engine fails you pull off to the side of the road.... as opposed to falling out of the sky....

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

I agree Dave, auto engines and aero engines are treated very different but they really should not be,
just a level of failures and exendature that people are willing to accept.
Since aviation engines are re-built at regular intervals there is no need for a long term gasket strategy.
o-rings and copper head gaskets work just fine because they replace them often, but it is quite wasteful.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

The idea of an o-ring sealed aluminum valve cover held down with a stock VW bailing clip is wonderful! The valve cover would have to be a new design because stock covers and existing aftermarket covers rely on the gasket thickness for clearance and proper fit of the bail.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone mill O-ring grooves into VW cases Reply with quote

Yes, it IS a good idea.
Maybe we will make them, someday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: