Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

guess we need squareweave to bust out the measuring tape and take another pic of the 7.00-14's?

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

sled wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Those look really cool and are the same size tire as original (for 14" rims) but in the description the OD seems small:

https://www.nebraskatire.com/light-truck/samson-tr...iameter-ti
7.00X14 8ply Tubeless $65

OD 24.4" SW 7.3" 25lbs max load 1550lbs 60psi

Can you confirm that's the diameter of yours inflated?

according to their stats, if the 7.3 sidewall is correct then there is no way the OD is 24.4. maybe they meant 28.4? 7.3+7.3+14 = 28.6

maybe a typo?

The bus is in storage right now and when I get to it i'll measure it up. When I placed the Samsons beside the original never used Continental that was on the spare it was the same size.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
I bought these 7.00r14 and had them mounted on original paint rims. I really like the look of the side wall, and being D rated they'll be sturdy. They will fit in the original tire well no problem. Not a super aggressive tread but I believe they also sell a aggressive tread tire in this size.

But I'm very partial to the look of bias plies on old vehicles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those look killer!

I agree, nothing beats the look of bias-ply on vintage cars that had them when new.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
sled wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
Those look really cool and are the same size tire as original (for 14" rims) but in the description the OD seems small:

according to their stats, if the 7.3 sidewall is correct then there is no way the OD is 24.4. maybe they meant 28.4? 7.3+7.3+14 = 28.6

maybe a typo?

The bus is in storage right now and when I get to it i'll measure it up. When I placed the Samsons beside the original never used Continental that was on the spare it was the same size.

It's probably just a typo on that web page. How many miles have you put on these tires and how do they handle in various conditions?
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
squareweave wrote:
sled wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

maybe a typo?

It's probably just a typo on that web page. How many miles have you put on these tires and how do they handle in various conditions?

Unfortunately I haven't driven on them since installed. I hope to have the bus home this spring summer to do a refresh. The person that recommended the tires to me said they were good on his truck, (he was running 16.5 diameter on a early 70's for 3/4 or 1 ton) but not great in the mud. They do sell a more aggressive tire in the same size if that was something of a concern for people that go off the beaten path. The tires are heavy due to the strong sidewalls.
YadnusBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

I promise I'll get the wheel wells, paint blending and bumpers done soon.
Is this bus done yet? That small print says the words "done soon" so I just wanted to know. Cool
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

YadnusBug wrote:
oakman wrote:

I promise I'll get the wheel wells, paint blending and bumpers done soon.
Is this bus done yet? That small print says the words "done soon" so I just wanted to know. Cool

You would think it would be by now, right!? Are they ever really "done" though? Smile

Let's just say I have had some health problems getting in the way of life lately but thankfully I'm still here for now.. Wink

I analyzed the wheel wells to the point of realizing that as nice as the Autocraft replacement metal is, it's just different enough from stock that I could not live with myself if I had finished welding them in. Laughing To be more specific, the lip of the og rear wheel wells taper in sooner at the ends than the AC does. The lip of the AC metal also looks slightly thicker than the og. Once I could see this difference, I knew I was screwed and had to source some nice og replacement metal for this bus. I think it deserves it. I'm glad they're just barely tacked in so it will be very easy to start over. I'll try to get some pics to show the difference.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Pictures to show the difference between the Autocraft metal and original.

Autocraft:

Original:

If you can't see the difference between the two very well, it's the taper at the ends of the flare that is the problem. The AC lip stays fat until the very end where og metal tapers in earlier. I also believe the AC lip is slightly thicker.

It was some time before I noticed the difference after comparing to my 67' with stock uncut wheel wells. Work had picked up and I didn't touch the bus for a while. I'm glad I hadn't finished welding them in so it will be easy to start over fresh. This is one time when going extremely slow has paid off. Laughing

Here are a couple of pics from the Blue Cut Fire in August 2016 I forgot about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Cut_Fire

That's me getting ready to evacuate with the Westy. This fire moved so fast;
fueled by strong wind and headed towards us. I had to pick one car to save, of course it was the Westy. What really sucked was that the entire interior was out of the bus and spread out in the shop with no time to grab it all. Luckily it ended well for us this time and the fire missed us. Another close call for this bus.

I'll get back working on this bus eventually.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Finally camped in the flipseat at Spring Picnic in Yorba Linda, Ca about a month ago. The bed set up is really quite comfortable, better than what was in my old Alabama Camper. Here are some pictures from the event:

Joey (scvw) and Paul (zuggbug) rolled all the way out from South Carolina in Joey's Okrassa kitted pgsg. I want to do a trip like that someday..

Kevin's Coleman bus:

Todd (srfndoc) and Ivan (pyroman) chillin' :

Loyce joined up with Joey and Paul on their way out West.
Loyce's Cantebury-Pitt camper is so cool and unique:

Alma's Westy (she lets Gilbert use it sometimes Smile

Aaron's bad-ass camp set up:

Always a great time at the Spring Picnic!!

Last edited by oakman on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

This past weekend was the Blackstar Campout at Prado Regional Park in Chino, Ca. This awesome event is put on by VTO and seems to get bigger each year. I was glad to be there.

The 63' Beetle belongs to my friend Mark. I've known him since we were kids. He's had it since he was 14 years old! (42 now).

One of my favorite buses, Terence's awesome Light Grey OG paint 61 Swivel Seat:

There were apparently four flipseat Westy's at Prado. Two were so-34's, and the other two (mine included) were so-35's. I never did find the other so-34 but a friend said it was an early Turkis bus with Turkis dash.

I'm horrible with names and can't remember the names of the owners of the two beautiful flipseats in the photos below, but they were both friendly and willing to show me their buses. Thanks guys, chime in here if you see this. I had to get a couple of photos with my bus:

It's not very often you get to see two large hatch so-35 Westfalia flipseats parked together:

Lind drove all the way from Idaho with friends from Canada. Lind's pgsg Westy with it's propane powered Silo fridge is as cool as it gets. It was nice to meet you Lind and Adam!

There is never enough time to see/talk to everyone that I would have liked to, this event is that big. This awesome Westy is owned by Mike in Canada. This is one of the other buses camped with Lind's bus along with a super nice Bay Westy.

As always, the weekend comes to an end too quickly. If you haven't been to this event make sure you do next year!!

Last edited by oakman on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Brandon, thanks for posting the pics. I absolutely love your Westy, thanks for taking me for a spin and giving me the nickel tour. It was great meeting you and like you said, the weekends never seem long enough.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
Brandon, thanks for posting the pics. I absolutely love your Westy, thanks for taking me for a spin and giving me the nickel tour. It was great meeting you and like you said, the weekends never seem long enough.

Thanks Paul, it was great meeting you guys.
Prado was a blast but the Spring Picnic had much better weather. I went by Joey's bus at Prado but missed him being there. Most of the time I was looking for shade! I have a few more pics, Pm me your e-mail and I'll send them to you.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

This past weekend I really needed to get out in the Westy. The weather was perfect with clear skies and there was a VW campout (Kings of the Crest 2) that was only about an hour and a half away from home via the scenic Angeles Crest Hwy.

After about ten miles I started the long climb into the San Gabriel Mountains:

This is a popular road for motorcyclists that I used to ride often. I really never thought I would be on this road in a split bus but it was actually very nice. The road was fairly empty on the East end where I started. Photo below is right above where Hwy 39 used to connect to Hwy 2 years back. San Gabriel Valley far below:

Forty miles of this:

Getting closer! Through the tunnels:

Arrived at the destination at last!

Lots of great folks with plenty of cool buses and bugs.

Good folks, good vibes!!

Unfortunately I was unable to stay and camp this time. Next time for sure!!

Thanks for the hospitality everyone!

The drive home that evening was great and the bus performed well.

Get out and enjoy those buses!!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Great pics! Looked like a great event as well.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Great pics! Looked like a great event as well.

It was probably my favorite drive in the bus so far. The destination made it epic. Perfect time of year to be up on The Crest. I'll be camping next time for sure.
Sepilove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Was so good to see you Brandon! The westy looks amazing! Awesome job![/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Sepilove wrote:
Was so good to see you Brandon! The westy looks amazing! Awesome job![/img]

Thank you Jenny! It was a blast, need to do it again soon!!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
This past weekend I really needed to get out in the Westy. The weather was perfect with clear skies and there was a VW campout (Kings of the Crest 2).
Mission accomplished... looks like it was a great time out!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
oakman wrote:
This past weekend I really needed to get out in the Westy. The weather was perfect with clear skies and there was a VW campout (Kings of the Crest 2).
Mission accomplished... looks like it was a great time out!

I hadn't been across Angeles Crest in at least five years. I forgot how nice it is this time of year and so close to home. Great place for a Vw campout.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

This past weekend I took the Westy out to the annual Silverwood Campout at Silverwood Lake, CA. Here's a few pictures from the drive and event:

Stoked to be driving the Flipseat Very Happy

Good times with good folks.

Larry and Lynn's campsite. The salesflap bus makes a great camper and bar:

Kahuna's sweet shorty single:

Once it was dark, many folks grabbed their Coleman lanterns and went for a "lantern walk". This has become a tradition of sorts and is always a good time. After the walk we ended at my buddy Kevin's Coleman bus and snapped a few pics. He also had a cool display of stuff in the back and won the award for best camp display. Camping fun!

It was a great time as always. Thanks to everyone for the hospitality!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 28

Jump to: