Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help for engine building
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Help for engine building Reply with quote

First .. I'm green at this. but want to learn.

has a 1600dp that I want to drill up to 1914,what more do I need? and how much hp I would expect to get, given this is a daily driver. want an engine that lasts
line drill housing, and top to 94mm
1914 syl kit

more? what type of cam?
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for engine building Reply with quote

Since you didn't get a response from anyone knowledgeable, let me see if I can point you in the right direction. Disclaimer: My engine building experience is limited to one single port 1600cc stock engine and therefore I cannot offer you any build advice. However, I am in a similar situation and have been reading a lot.
One reason you may not have got a response is your question is too broad. For example, what type of vehicle is this engine going in? Building an engine for a bus is different from if you are building it for a light buggy. What gear ratio; what wheel size etc. Your best bet is to go to this sticky, see if anyone has built an engine for an application similar to yours.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=435993

Also do a search here to see what others are building again for your application.

Horse power depends on what internals you use and how well you build the engine including dynamic balancing. So cc alone is not going to determine it.

Get a rough idea of what engine combo you need to build and good people here on samba surely will help you refine it.

In the mean time, there is so much info to read here. So much so that you can be an instant 'expert' on air cooled engines Very Happy .
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for engine building Reply with quote

Thank you sir.

it a 1960 beetle as it should be put in, tire is 195/50/15 i think, but i dont see that has a point.

No, thought more people could possibly set up a motor that could be used as a daily driver. but was wrong.

May try to set up a check if it can work. Maybe someone sees what's going to be used to say if it works, rather you should replace one part with another
Amzoch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for engine building Reply with quote

can i use stock crank and rods ? only change cam. valvs
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for engine building Reply with quote

That's a popular size engine, but what differs is what you want out of the engine.

Some people want:

Just a DD with a bit more umph.
Low rev torque
Mid range
High rev screamer

Now they build them for:

Early bug
Later bug
Heavy type III
Heavier bus
Race, drag, track, slot, whatever

And they want it on different budgets

Cheap as possible not caring about performance/longevity.
All the way too
Money is no object. HP/Torque/Longevity will not be sacrificed

Your skill/experience/willingness to learn or your willingness to pay a builder will impact your build.

What your using it for will greatly differ in how it is built, and the selection of parts. Your request is too broad to give you any recommendations.

A good place to start is with the Engine builds/combos sticky to see what others have done.

Some more info may bring more recommendations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: