Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deck lid lock
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesiandabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

So I bought a 1970 beetle a couple of months ago and I have been workin on the odd and ends. One of the only things remaining is getting the deck lid to lock. When I bought it the door locks was kinda stiff so I filled em full of kroil and the work awesome. Done the same on the deck lid and no go. Anyone have any ideas? It latches good, just the key wont turn.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the vast numbers of those "lock" rear deck locks that are for sale on The Samba Classifieds?

I don't think any of them work. I suspect it's because--when installed--the "L" shaped latch does not seat fully. The lock won't lock unless it is fully closed--the latch, that is.

I'm going to grind off some of the inside of the "L" and see if that works.

Tim
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

Jesiandabe wrote:
It latches good, just the key wont turn.

You have a key lock on your deck lid??? Wink

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd want my engine lid locked. In the remote chance that I have an engine fire (and my fuel filter is under the tank) I want to be able to get to it with the extinguisher.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a key lock on my engine lid (1971) for decades, works good. I bought it at a local VW shop.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one made by Hella. The damn thing will lock when it's off the hood, but when you install it, the arm will not fully close. Unless the arm closes fully, you cannot turn the key to lock it.

That's why I'm going to remove some of the inside of the "L" latch. Removing some metal will allow the latch to close fully, and I'll be able to use the key.

Tim
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

Jesiandabe wrote:

Most likely it uses a different key.

-jeffrey
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my original decklid latches have the code for the key stamped on the side like the door handles and ignition barrel,
Make sure the code matches them but its pretty rare for a decklid lock to match the door/ignition key anyway.

Tim Donahoe wrote:

I don't think any of them work. I suspect it's because--when installed--the "L" shaped latch does not seat fully. The lock won't lock unless it is fully closed--the latch, that is.

Have a close look at the rubber stopper for the decklid, it is threaded so it can be wound in or out so the decklid latches properly but doesnt rattle.
Also people lettig the spring slam the decklid shut alot can bend the catch tab down which makes it harder to latch.

All of mine except one have had locking latches which work fine.

They are pretty simple to remove the barrel from and rekey.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: decklid lock Reply with quote

Back in my university days, I came out of class one day and my '74 Beetle wouldn't start. Did the step-by-step check and found that someone had removed the rotor from the distributor. Immediately went and purchased the locking latch and have had them on every Beetle since...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
Jesiandabe wrote:

Most likely it uses a different key.

-jeffrey

Very likely. The locking latch is not standard equipment, and in my case (and I suspect the majority) the lock is keyed differently from the doors and ignition.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

71Survivor wrote:
Very likely. The locking latch is not standard equipment, and in my case (and I suspect the majority) the lock is keyed differently from the doors and ignition.

That stands to reason if it's a dealer or PO fitted lock but there were factory fitted ones that were keyed alike to the doors and ignition, even the owners manual backs that up, I know it isn't just my car.

I've still got the original handles and locks from one of my other supers in the shed, the key code on the side of the decklid latch matches the one on the handles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hella "key-lock" deck lid lock I purchased is in every way identical to the original I have. However, the original also does not completely latch. Although, the lid is nice and snugly tight. So this causes no problem with my original non-locking latch. The lid stays closed with no weird rattle.

But a new Hella locking latch apparently requires that the latch arm be closed completely for the key to turn and lock and unlock. My only guess as to why my new locking latch doesn't latch all the way is because the rear apron is not the original and the tab on the apron is off a mm, or so.

So I will try removing some metal from the lock (I don't want to experiment with my apron tab) to see if I can get the latch to close all the way.

Tim
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've had a key lock on my engine lid (1971) for decades, works good. I bought it at a local VW shop.

I should add that my engine lid has hood standoffs, just in case that does matter. I do have to latch it and then turn the key to lock it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
carlos101490
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

Question. where can I get a L shaped catch plate? mine fell off of my bug the rivets gave out.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

Jesiandabe wrote:
So I bought a 1970 beetle a couple of months ago and I have been workin on the odd and ends. One of the only things remaining is getting the deck lid to lock. When I bought it the door locks was kinda stiff so I filled em full of kroil and the work awesome. Done the same on the deck lid and no go. Anyone have any ideas? It latches good, just the key wont turn.

Remove the latch and take it to your local locksmith. They can turkey or clean it up and get it working cheaper than you can. Around here it costs me $20.00.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

carlos101490 wrote:
Question. where can I get a L shaped catch plate? mine fell off of my bug the rivets gave out.

Typically you would just start a new thread, so this one does not get off track. Because it does happen now and then.

Look in the classifieds or fabricate one. They are still available. If you use the search feature, it will streamline the process.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

carlos101490 wrote:

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=111827513C

Alternatively, you could try to source one from a wrecking yard or make one from some 1/8" or 3/16" plate.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

Going back to the original subject of this thread, I mentioned that my new Hella keyed deck-lid lock would not lock while on the car, but it locked fine off the hood. I said I would file off some of the latch material so it would seat down all the way.

This worked. I filed away a few millimeters from the interior of the latch, and it seated. The key would then lock and unlock the lock.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

carlos101490 wrote:

I made my own from a Simpson Strong Tie from the hardware store.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, my engine now has been rebuilt, and the rear engine seal replaced.....
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Deck lid lock Reply with quote

The cheap rear apron for 1968-1974 Beetles is made by IGP in Brazil and distributed by Klokkerholm. The catch plate on that version is slightly too long, so a locking deck lid handle will not lock, but it’s easy to cut the catch plate a few mm shorter.

Just so everybody knows, this high-quality rear apron is now available, made by BBT. It first appeared too late to make it onto my car.

https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/1-exterior/4-b...ce-beetle/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: