Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure defective?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

I've noticed that everytime I turn the engine on the oil pressure red light takes some time to go off, is that a chance that my type 4 engine is having defective oil pressure? That might explain the frequent times I have had problems with hydraulic lifters that become ineffective and engine has a bad performance. What people think of this idea?

Thanxs
'67 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Please define "some time".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

it is a common problem with the late type 4 cases. For me it happens when it sits for a couple days to a week. I THINK it is aeration where air gets whipped into a foam in the pump and doesn't make pressure. The best solution I found is to start the bus then turn it off after about 2 or 3 seconds. Then count to 10 and start it. If you don't pressure in 4 seconds turn it off and count to 10 again. Then start it and you should have pressure right away.

This happened too when I built the engine even though I pre oiled it. It would not make pressure with the plugs out so I pulled sender off the hose, aimed the hose into a bucket and had instant pressure. On a late case the pressure relief valve dumps back to the pump inlet instead of the sump. I think that any air just turns into foam and goes round and round until it gets forced out. By letting it sit 10 seconds the foam turns back to oil so it gets pressure and forces the air out. Others with late cases have this issue too. Make sure that the filters you use have an anti-drain valve in them. That helps too.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

My 2L in my vanagon has done that from when I built it when I had it drop a seat on me 500 miles later I took it all the way down to look it over and put a new set of heads on it I found no falt but I still change the pump ,pressure valves and resealed it all and the problem still there I have a light and gauge just sitting over night will do it I kind-a wonder if the remote mount sender has been the cause it has been going on for two years of daily driving.
There has been no lifter problems just the annoying wait.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

late case circulates oil back to the pump inlet. I used a tube full of a quart of oil to pressurize my new engine and it still did it. The second I removed the sender the oil shot out. I think that the pump can't push the air out so it aerates into a foam. Foam won't pressurize. Early cases dumped the surplus oil back to the sump so I think that the air got pushed out the pressure relief instead of getting sucked back into the pump.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Doesn’t Wildthings recommend running an extra quart of oil?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

as bad as 4 seconds...
'67 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Daddylolo wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

as bad as 4 seconds...

That's rather minor compared to some examples, you could almost call that "normal", avoid revving it for the first few seconds.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Steve maybe on to something last night I started the vanagon just to move it before that it hadn't ran for hours then this morning I started it and in 2 seconds the light was out. I will see if I can back up this test.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

I tried an extra quart and all it did was nothing. DIdn't run cooler. Didn't get oil pressure sooner, just leaked oil if I parked on a hill.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Let's not do that unless we are racing on off-camber hard right corners.
Colin Cool
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Sounds like drain back to me. I am not too familiar with the type 4 but in type 1 full flow, it happens if the filter is a wrong one or poor quality and the valve inside the filter allows drain back to happen. I have found a lot of filters that don't hold, more than do.
It helps to have a good fitting oil pump.
The only time you should or will see the (delayed oil light to go out) is first starting after an oil change or maybe if the engine was overheated then parked overnight.
Are you running synthetic motor oil but not a synthetic oil oil filter?
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Sounds like drain back to me. I am not too familiar with the type 4 but in type 1 full flow, it happens if the filter is a wrong one or poor quality and the valve inside the filter allows drain back to happen. I have found a lot of filters that don't hold, more than do.
It helps to have a good fitting oil pump.
The only time you should or will see the (delayed oil light to go out) is first starting after an oil change or maybe if the engine was overheated then parked overnight.
Are you running synthetic motor oil but not a synthetic oil oil filter?

Drain back...I will replace the filter with a other one from a VW dealer, not a aftermarket that I got but it is not the first time i do it.

I took out all hydraulic lifters and spent all day to fill them with oil again, like factory says and later refit them in the engine. After a short time with engine working they sounded like empty and empty they where when I took them off again. I read, can't remember where I read that both small holes in lifters, those on the sides, should align... is it true?

I will also measure the oil pressure tomorrow, just waiting for a friend to get me a good gauge to check it.
'67 Ghia
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

the type 4 late motors do this. It is the case design. Probably responsible for the hydraulic lifters getting air too but it keeps the oil in the galleries cooler. The correct filter helps but won't stop it because it isn't caused by no oil or drain back. It appears caused by a tiny bit of air that recirculates and causes the pump to whip the oil into up an aerated foam. If one just turns it on, lets it runs 2 or 3 seconds then turns it off, and counts to 10 slowly and restarts it, the pressure will be there almost right away. But if one lets the froth go round and round and the pump stays aerated, it can be almost an indefinite wait. It only happens when these buses sit a long period. Park it over night and it won't happen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure defective? Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Let's not do that unless we are racing on off-camber hard right corners.
Colin Cool

Got around 1/2 a million miles of driving my air cooled VW this way. Wouldn't run them any other way. Started doing it when I had a problem with a fairly new factory engine that would suddenly blow all the oil out when the oil had about 1500 miles on it. Figured the extra oil gave me a chance to catch the falling oil level before the pressure dropped to where the light came on. Once I determined the problem (a case of 24 cans of oil without sufficient anti foaming agent), I just kept running the extra quart +/- and have suffered no ill effects, except some smoking when parked on extreme side hills (think San Fransisco).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: