Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

I'm currently using sealed beam headlights on my VW. I'm using the "xtravision" headlights, but one of my headlights has developed a leak and is letting water in. These lights are 55/60W, and not the "basic" Sealed beams our cars came with. Are h4 bulbs a worthy upgrade, or are these sealed beams comparable?
Here is what I currently have:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/sylvania-h6024...7CL3*15644

I'm wondering if I should replace with the same, or try out the H4s
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

I have never regretted switching to H4s.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
I have never regretted switching to H4s.

Max

Which ones are you using? Looks like they are all over the map in price. Not sure if that means the quality varies as well
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

I settled on Cibie Z Beams.

Here's some:

https://www.sportsandclassics.com/parts/triumph/7-cibie-z-beam-replica-1960s-headlamp-conversion-h4/

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

H4 headlights
H3 55w fogs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sylvania Silverstar Headlights
H3 55W fogs

Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

I run these, and love them. Huge difference, and they even come with quality bulbs-

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395801-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G72SKQ/

I had an original set of Cibie Z-beams on my 61 Baja, and ran 130/90w bulbs. It was like landing a jet on the freeway at night, without any glare to oncoming traffic, they rocked! I hear the reproduction ones are good, but different due to regulations? Not sure. I may try a set at some point.

I also run a pair of these-

http://www.eagleeyelights.com/catalog2/index.php?m...cts_id=101

I use them occasionally, and really like them. They are sold individually, not in pairs, however. I really wanted them for the "look" but use them on crappy roads or in light rain/fog.

Life's too short to blindly feel your way down the road at night Smile

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

The DOT pattern is horrible. The European H4 pattern is far superior with one exception, it doesn't have that familiar warm glow of light directly in front of the vehicle. This can be a bit problematic on those wet dark roads, especially with oncoming traffic using modern HIDs. This is why the fog lights are a common theme. However, the H4s will illuminate ANYTHING that is reflective for a mile or so down the road.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

That is a good deal for the Cibie 2 headlight and bulb set up (not sure what kind of bulbs though.

Rallylights.com usually has plenty of bulbs to choose from.

Make sure you are getting a full 12-13V at the headlight connection. If not clean the connectors, check the grounds, and add one relay for the low beams and another for the high beams.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

I went to the hella h4 crap...it was great for 3 years or so, them not so good... then I went to projector beams with led bulbs. awesome!!!!and lower power consumption!!! and cheep too!!! about $13 for the led's on flebay and around $18 for the projector bulb housings. non fluted works best with leds. also leds are directional and have to be "clocked" properly witch a lot of people do not do and complain about the light....
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I went to the hella h4 crap...it was great for 3 years or so, them not so good... then I went to projector beams with led bulbs. awesome!!!!and lower power consumption!!! and cheep too!!! about $13 for the led's on flebay and around $18 for the projector bulb housings. non fluted works best with leds. also leds are directional and have to be "clocked" properly witch a lot of people do not do and complain about the light....

I hear that! Mofo's driving every morning with aftermarket LEDs that blind the heck out of everyone!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I run these, and love them. Huge difference, and they even come with quality bulbs-

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395801-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G72SKQ/

These Hella H4s are sold here in India for about $3/lamp. Sometimes avail on amazon.in
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

the hellas that were on mine turened brown inside, no mo reflective.....thats when I went to the led&projector beams they are 5x better than the helas with hallogen were when new. and now less power draw too.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Funny when I think of custom headlights I only care about the way they look on my car. I could care less if they are brighter or not. I have never used my "brights". In fact when I had a New Beetle the brights and the headlights took the same bulb. When a main light would burn out I'd just take one from the bright spot and leave it empty.

And I do the majority of my driving at night (work at night).

I bought a set of H4 light for my 1968 Beetle. They had a tri-bar built into them with a blue dot in the center. Have no idea how long they will last, but they were the same price as sealed beams.

Last edited by Chris333 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Funny when I think of custom headlights I only care about the way they look on my car. I could care less if they are brighter or not. I have never used my "brights". In fact when I had a New Beetle the brights and the headlights too the same bulb. When a main light would burn out I'd just take one from the bright spot and leave it empty.

So you are all about form over function?

Max
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Funny when I think of custom headlights I only care about the way they look on my car. I could care less if they are brighter or not. I have never used my "brights". In fact when I had a New Beetle the brights and the headlights too the same bulb. When a main light would burn out I'd just take one from the bright spot and leave it empty.

I bought a set of H4 light for my 1968 Beetle. They had a tri-bar built into them with a blue dot in the center. Have no idea how long they will last, but they were the same price as sealed beams.

My bug is my daily. I drive a lot in inclement weather, in complete and utter darkness, in the woods. Great headlights are a must for me. I don't want to hit a deer in the middle of the night. Also, great lookimg car!
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

I had an original set of Cibie Z-beams on my 61 Baja, and ran 130/90w bulbs. It was like landing a jet on the freeway at night, without any glare to oncoming traffic, they rocked! I hear the reproduction ones are good, but different due to regulations? Not sure. I may try a set at some point.

I also run a pair of these-

http://www.eagleeyelights.com/catalog2/index.php?m...cts_id=101

I use them occasionally, and really like them. They are sold individually, not in pairs, however. I really wanted them for the "look" but use them on crappy roads or in light rain/fog.

Life's too short to blindly feel your way down the road at night Smile

I like those fogs. Im thinking h4s plus fogs will be a great improvement
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Most definitely! That’s what I run.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

I just like the way they look and can see fine with them. If they were some how brighter that might even bother me.

I would like to mount some amber fog lights once I get the bumpers on. Again just so I can see my car with fog lights not because I need more light.

In case it matters. Those lights I posted also have LED halo rings around them, but they are only at the top and bottom so when they light up the sides are very dim. I thought it looked like crap so I didn't wire them up. If I find cheap halos with LEDs all around I might try again.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Aren't you still building this car? Or are you now driving it?
Chris333 wrote:
Funny when I think of custom headlights I only care about the way they look on my car. I could care less if they are brighter or not. I have never used my "brights". In fact when I had a New Beetle the brights and the headlights took the same bulb. When a main light would burn out I'd just take one from the bright spot and leave it empty.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are H4 headlights an upgrade over the "Bright" Sealed beams? Reply with quote

Still building.

Based my comments on my daily Honda. A lot of people put the Honda headlights in an oven to separate them and then add projector lights inside. Put new rubber around the edges and pop back into the oven to re-seal it.

Just posted the VW pic because they are H4 bulbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: