Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campbell, 1965 13 window Dormobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

I can see the helmet. I'm a train guy, so it reminds me more of a locomotive. Laughing

vwuberalles wrote:
I liked the setup it came with better, that commercial bumper makes it look like a football helmet.
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

definitely going to try my hand and hammer on the bumper....gotta learn sometime on how to massage metal!

Skim wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Skim wrote:
I'd beat that dent out the first OG paint blade with the all mighty BFH and run it.

Yes. They are much easier to straighten than you would think. Soft steel. I used a 2x10 to set my bumper on and slowly beat out the dents carfully to prevent making "welts".

Bus looks great!

Haha yes! that's exactly how I do it. Its almost like squeezing a dent out of a soda bottle, it's like it wants to pop right back out into its normal shape again very easily.
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

I do like the ability to change it's looks! For now I'm thinking burly, but will get the better og painted bumper straightened, drill out broken bolts, and install trim for when I want that look.

dschup wrote:
Do you use a 2x10 so more of the curve of the bumper sits on the wood as a straightness guide? Also, how big of a hammer? Is the metal too thick to use a c clamp to move the metal?

I have to straighten my bumpers at some point and my only option is the set I have. Nice work and collection of different looks!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Hit a good milestone today, a rgb is back in the bus for the first time in 12 years. Took a bit to get the spring plates dialed in, installed the Wolfgang mid mount on the trans, along with the other new mounts. Looking to have it back on the ground very soon!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

this bus is so cool, cant wait to see it back on the ground
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
this bus is so cool, cant wait to see it back on the ground

Getting close!!!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

When I got Campbell she had reproduction euro style glass over regular sealed beam lights. Today I replaced the lights with OG Hella H4's and USA style clear Hella glass.

As for the headlight guards, that's the real story. I bought this very set of guards in about 1990. I sold them, as my last vintage VW part, in 99 as I was "done with VWs". I had them on a few of my buses over that period of time. They were my pride and joy.

In 2014 I was again pursuing a vintage VW, and with the tip from @jensen1950 I ended up with Lucy, my 52 beetle. As soon as I had her, the hunt for a set of this styled headlight guard was on. Randomly while looking for a rack on Samba, I noticed the car pictured had these same guards and I made a combined purchase. Lucy has those on her.

After being introduced to #oldmanmaynard of @mr_ogpaint I noticed that he had studs in the headlight rings that I was fully convinced were for the same style rock guard. I found a set of these at the #emorycampout2017 and figured if they don't fit Maynard, I'll be happy to keep them. They fit right on. Maynard has that set.

Now this set of guards. John got ahold of me and asked what I knew about them. After some talking back and forth, I was fully convinced he was looking at the very set of guards that I sold in 99. He purchased them, and I was finally able to pick them up today. They were still mounted on my old PGSG headlight rings. My set that is on Lucy came mounted with the later style ring, the same style as on Campbell. A little swap-a-roo and here we are.

Thank you @jensen1950 for picking these up.

I am beyond grateful.

I am beyond blessed with great friends.

PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Family portrait
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

The previous owner found some pics of the bus as he got it 12 years ago.
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the bumper on the bus it came from. The bumper ended up being my birthday present from the wife.
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Milestone night! Was able to get some lug nuts from a buddy I was able to put the rear wheels on to see how she sat....I'm happy!

'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Looks bitchin' man, good job!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
Looks bitchin' man, good job!

Thanks!!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

hell yeah, much better!!!!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
hell yeah, much better!!!!
Very Happy
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

I have to say, thanks to those who I chatted with at the Moxee show over the weekend who said they're following this thread!!! Yes, I was bummed not to be there in Campbell, but your praise was more than uplifting!!!

Time to get back to work!!!!
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Looks fantastic. Carry on!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

A long overdue update!!!! After an "out of my control delay", Campbell is back together and driving as a stock running gear bus!! I have lots of pics to add....and they won't be in order of the build....but, definitely having some fun now!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

A 1973 full width Westy bed was installed

PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

After some local miles were added, it was time to camp!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: