Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate redux swap thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

I can measure tomorrow.
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

I measures mine to 38mm. Adapterplate + spacer.
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Reductiongboxes installed! Still need to change from dropspindles to liftspindles.... Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Looks good. Is there much wheel hop?
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Not driven it yet. Need to lift the front too.
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Hebster,

Looks great, any pictures of the mounting?

What method did you use to install the boxes? Any anti-hop braces?

Thank you, Jeff
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

This is the axles I used for my 66. The kit was built by some local blacksmith or something way back in early 60's... So the reductiongear was also reduced even more. with the custom gears it is way too loud so now I'm building a new set of original reductionboxes that I then fit to these. Hoping the original gears are better manufactured.. Smile

The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
This is the axles I used for my 66. The kit was built by some local blacksmith or something way back in early 60's... So the reductiongear was also reduced even more. with the custom gears it is way too loud so now I'm building a new set of original reductionboxes that I then fit to these. Hoping the original gears are better manufactured.. Smile

You will get much more gear noise from that early original split case transmission you are showing in your picture. The gear noise from the outboard redux gears is not as much as the early split case trans itself. You can still use the early redux axles and setup into a later year tunnel type transmission that alone will significantly quiet up the gear noise over the splitcase trans. If you can find a later year redux box and tunnel type trans it will be a whole lot quieter. The big nut redux box is a better option over the small nut redux you are showing.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

FYI. I did not use the splitcase. Just the axles. Click on the "1966 Kommanderwagen" link in my signature below for more info.
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

I see that now lol. Nice bug very clean job.
There was some good tidbits in your thread that I enjoyed, especially the way they went about using the odd ratio Alpine gear. I doubt anybody would ever see that done like that again lol.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Yes. Got to say it is powerful with the alpine gear but unfortunately too noisy so I will make a new set with original small nut gears this winter.
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
MjrBummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Oh man! I was hoping that by the time I read through all 15 pages, I'd find the blueprints for the no-hop kit that were mentioned early in the thread. I figured RGB's in the rear and a complete Thing beam up front on my 61 Baja would be just what I need to get a few more inches of ground clearance. I'll just have to keep my open for a NOS, used kit.

Oh well, it was still a good read. It's good to see there are still some do-it-yourselfers out there.

Bill
mtbuicknut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

So what E brake cables did anybody use. The previous owner of my buggy said that the stock cable for a bug wouldn't last. Does the distance from the backing plate to the tubes increase? So wouldn't you use a bus w/RGB setup??
Thanks Rick
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

mtbuicknut wrote:
So what E brake cables did anybody use. The previous owner of my buggy said that the stock cable for a bug wouldn't last. Does the distance from the backing plate to the tubes increase? So wouldn't you use a bus w/RGB setup??
Thanks Rick

I used 1956 to 1957 Bug E brake cables. They are longer than later model Bug cables.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Here's mine now with new adapterplates. Also turned springpiates about half an inch to get the rear up that much.

The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Shocked PLEASE, replace that COPPER BRAKE LINE in the last pic!!

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

It is NOT copper.... Rolling Eyes
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Those are amazing adapter plates! They look like a factory option. Do have any issues with the rear dropping during acceleration?

Kind regards, Jeff
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate redux swap thread Reply with quote

Thanks! Not driven with this setup yet. Just filled the transmission with oil. Battery is in charge so very soon. I drove it last year too with basically similar setup and it did not bother me at all.
The KidVRod project
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: