Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual weber 34 icts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

Ok so just rebuilt my 75 westy dual weber 34 ict carbs....its an 1800cc engine and now when I try to check timing the mark won't consistently match the timing degree and then it idles fast I had it running pretty good this morning but it had no power couldn't leave 1st gear
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

I also have a dual vacuum dizzy and when I had the single weber the retard side of the vacuum can was plugged and the other side went to the front of the carb is there a diagram to hook it up to the ict? There's only 1 vacuum port on each carb
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

Hook up advance to one carb, block port on other carb. No expert of retard, but if blocked I imagine it prevents the advance working?

Over in the uk ICT's come with F87 emulsions which flood the engine and make it undriveable in a bus. I believe they are for single carb applications In a car people seem to manage to drive with them but I don't think they're right for dual carbs. They are routinely changed for F6. Hopefully your suppliers over the pond do better but could be worth a look.
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

The advance side is hooked up to the left carb the retard side is blocked if I hook a hose up to each carbs vacuum port do you think it may work?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

vw_bud wrote:
The advance side is hooked up to the left carb the retard side is blocked if I hook a hose up to each carbs vacuum port do you think it may work?

Try blocking off both? It should work similar to a 009 then, you'll have a flat spot off idle likely. But your power should be available outside of the flat spot.

As for hooking up one to one advance and one to the other, no that wouldn't work they would simply cancel each other out if I understand how the dual vacuum cans work (single diaphragm, vacuum on one side advance on the other to push and pull the advance curve as needed). Even if it wasn't a single diaphragm and two instead, they would still essentially cancel each other out instead of working together. The car may run ok, but it'll be a crap shoot if it does or doesn't.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

Dang what a headache lol I just want my bus to run again lol that single weber ran great but the bus was seriously underpowered and this dual set ugh, I'll try blocking them both off I do have the old petronix dizzy still that I had before the single when I had dual dellortos i removed after the engine fore and rebuild for the single weber the petronix acted as if it didn't work anymore
vw_bud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

Now the timing won't go to 7.5 bdtc but it will set at 5atdc if I try to set it with the strobe light at idle to 7.5 it starts to idle very high and will not smooth out to be able to read where the mark is at
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

In a regular vacuum advance can, the other side is vented to atmosphere. Would blocking the retard side of the dual vacuum can create "vapor lock" and prevent the diaphragm inside from moving?
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

Blocking the retard port will seal gas inside the can. This will make it hard / impossible for the advance diaphragm to move. Better to leave the retard port open.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

Since you don’t have stock induction, timing it at idle may be folly. You want to be somewhere around 28 degrees at 3500 rpm. Can’t remember what you do about vacuum hoses. I think you block them. Let the idle fall where it may.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual weber 34 icts Reply with quote

A couple of things here.

You're describing a DVDA distributor. The vacuum canister requires 180MM hg of vacuum to start pulling the advance arm to advance the timing. Have you measured what kind of "ported" vacuum you're getting out of the carb/s? I'm not familiar with those carbs. Some aftermarket dual carbs are drilled correctly under the throttle plate to provide enough vacuum while others are not.

The retard side of the vacuum can works off "manifold" vacuum pressure. So, you need find or drill and tap a tube/nipple into the carb intake manifold.

Your best bet is to go buy a cheap vacuum gauge. "T" it into the vacuum hose from the carb to the advance side of the vacuum canister. Rev the engine and see what kind of vacuum your getting from one of the carbs.

If you don't use the retard side of the canister, cap it off. There's two different chambers inside the vacuum canister. Blocking one off won't affect the other side and will keep moisture and other crap out of it. It you want to run the distributor with only the advance side hooked up, provided your carbs produce enough vacuum, set your initial timing at 7.5BTDC to achieve a good idle. Remove the vacuum line from the distributor and cap it off. Then, rev the engine up to say 3800 RPM and make sure the timing doesn't advance more than 30* BTDC.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: