Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installed headers...what to do with heater ports?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waveydavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Installed headers...what to do with heater ports? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Lucky enough to score my first Type 3, a 72 fastback and she is beautiful. This is my first post on the forum, I'm Dave and pleased to be a member of TheSamba.
Last weekend i took the engine out to replace the clutch and fitted a set of headers at the same time. I wish to replumb the engine ducts to the heater tubes, but in the meantime am running without.
I have been told to cap the ducts and want to make sjre this info is correct or should there be provision to bleed some of the air?
Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installed headers...what to do with heater ports? Reply with quote

yes - I like this type on the shroud - found at your local hardware store in the plumbing section

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Installed headers...what to do with heater ports? Reply with quote

Or get yourself some of that aluminum flexible tubing. Another option is getting some flex hose from Aircraft Spruce that Mike Fisher recommends.
You'll need it in the 2 1/4" ID size.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installed headers...what to do with heater ports? Reply with quote

18" piece of aircraft ducting that is rated for up to 530 degrees heat. www.aircraftspruce.com

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waveydavey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed headers...what to do with heater ports? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated.
Another option i am considering is using a 90° silicone elbow from the heater tubes and a 135° from the shroud with a short joiner. Should be just about right on if i am correct.
Have any of you integrated the rear seat vents as well or just capped them off?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Installed headers...what to do with heater ports? Reply with quote

waveydavey wrote:
Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated.
Another option i am considering is using a 90° silicone elbow from the heater tubes and a 135° from the shroud with a short joiner. Should be just about right on if i am correct.
Have any of you integrated the rear seat vents as well or just capped them off?

I've left mine alone. About the only thing I do is cap off the top of the mixer box behind the rear seat, as I don't want small animals (rodents) to enter the car there. Been like that since early 2000.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: