Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Syncro radius rod?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

Decided to tackle replacing the bushings on my 91 Syncro camper.
As you can see from the pictures, my current setup doesn't match the Bentley illustrations or anything else that I've seen while scouring Google results. There is no nut incorporated onto the rod or any other visible way to turn it. A 3-foot pipe wrench with all my weight on it didn't budge. Any input would be helpful, thank you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

The nut at the end going through the subframe is what you adjust
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
The nut at the end going through the subframe is what you adjust

I don't need to adjust it .I'm changing the bushings and need to know if others have, a) ever seen a radius rod that did not have a nut incorporated onto it or, b) were able to remove the rod from the lower control arm.
Nevertheless, thanks for your reply
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

It seems odd, but the VW parts diagrams show the integral 'nut' on the 2wd radius rod but just a smooth shaft on the Syncro radius rod.

Mark

vanajeep wrote:
......I'm changing the bushings and need to know if others have, a) ever seen a radius rod that did not have a nut incorporated onto it or, b) were able to remove the rod from the lower control arm.
Nevertheless, thanks for your reply
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

Mine are the same configuration as yours - as noted, you don't need to remove the radius arm from the LCA in order to change bushings/adjust alignment.
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

I think I know what you are asking. How to replace the bushings?
If so, you undo the sway bar link and the control arm at the sub frame then swing the suspension rearward to get the front bushings out. I hope I got that right.

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

87vanwes wrote:
I think I know what you are asking. How to replace the bushings?
If so, you undo the sway bar link and the control arm at the sub frame then swing the suspension rearward to get the front bushings out. I hope I got that right.

From your wonderful build thread bottom of first page;

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

I believe '90-'91 have the integrated trackrods and LCA. Other models had the bolt-on rods.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

The lower control arms changed from stamped to cast somewhere around '89. Good pictures here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...arm+change
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

Looking up the part number there is not supposed to be a nut on it but it is possible to remove it. Here is what a replacement unit looks like https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/radius-rod-t3-syncro-late.html
I don't know that removing it is worth the hassle of doing so if there is another approach to replace whatever bushings you are trying to R&R.
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies,
I have the complete bushing kit from T3 so will just pull most of the suspension apart to get the RR bushes in.
What's somewhat concerning are the sub frame mounts. The van was repaired 8 yrs ago when I turned it on its side in the snow and the body shop gave it to a 'vanagon expert' to do some of the work. Since then, I've learned that he was indeed an 'expert' in swapping parts off customers vans. Just recently, pulling the RR bushings revealed much rustier mounts than anything else on the van which has been garaged most its life. There is even what looks like epoxy packed in the mount hole. Weld? Replace?
Down the rabbit hole I go!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

I recently redid all the bushings on my '90 Syncro Westy.
Here's the link for some pictures that might help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689657&start=20

As for the epoxied mount, maybe you can post a photo so we can better understand what was done?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod ? Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my radius rod mount hole, I think I'm good as far as it being too hogged out but welcome the wisdom of the collective.
Thanks for your great write-up and pictorial essay of your project, I'm a bit apprehensive about getting everything back together on mine but am just taking it slow and grateful I have a second car to drive meanwhile...

MsTaboo wrote:
I recently redid all the bushings on my '90 Syncro Westy.
Here's the link for some pictures that might help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689657&start=20

As for the epoxied mount, maybe you can post a photo so we can better understand what was done?

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

That hole is not wallowed out at all, you should address the remnants of metal from the old bonded bushings in the lower left quadrant of the image and the same on the backside and the other side of the van. Five minutes with a needle scaler, prime and paint and you are good to go...

What you think is epoxy is rubber that has transferred to the hole and it’s surroundings. Clean it off. Those bushings live a hard life.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

Cool, that news makes my day and yes, I'm going to clean and paint both sides before reassemble.
I've been diverted pulling the calipers and installing stainless steel brake lines while everythings apart. The upper control arm bolts being a sumbitch though - going to sleep on it before I break something.
Thanks for your reply!

T3 Pilot wrote:
That hole is not wallowed out at all, you should address the remnants of metal from the old bonded bushings in the lower left quadrant of the image and the same on the backside and the other side of the van. Five minutes with a needle scaler, prime and paint and you are good to go...

What you think is epoxy is rubber that has transferred to the hole and it’s surroundings. Clean it off. Those bushings live a hard life.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

vanajeep wrote:
...The upper control arm bolts being a sumbitch though - going to sleep on it before I break something.
Thanks for your reply!

If you mean the large bolt that goes through the frame, you need a stubby 14mm allen on a 3/4" breaker bar. Only use it to hold the bolt while you loosen/tighten the nut, then give it a couple 1/4 turn twists to free it from any rust/corrosion. You don't want to spin the bolt completely around, it's fitted into an oval slot and has flat sides (camber adjustment). Once the bolt has been freed it can be pushed out. Hope that made sense!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
vanajeep wrote:
...The upper control arm bolts being a sumbitch though - going to sleep on it before I break something.
Thanks for your reply!

If you mean the large bolt that goes through the frame, you need a stubby 14mm allen on a 3/4" breaker bar. Only use it to hold the bolt while you loosen/tighten the nut, then give it a couple 1/4 turn twists to free it from any rust/corrosion. You don't want to spin the bolt completely around, it's fitted into an oval slot and has flat sides (camber adjustment). Once the bolt has been freed it can be pushed out. Hope that made sense!

Yes, that makes perfect sense but I'm going to leave it alone as the nut was rounded somewhat by a previous mechanic.
The latest clusterf$ck is trying to get the drop link eyelet bushing on the sway bar. Wow, unbelievably simple but difficult simultaneously.
vanajeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

Following up on my rage-filled drop link eyelet bushing install, this Harbor Freight ball joint tool saved the day. Vice grips clamped on the bar gave the tool enough of a lip to grip while cranking the drop link onto the sway bar. I had the bushing in the eyelet fully before using the tool on it.

azanutta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

vanajeep wrote:
Decided to tackle replacing the bushings on my 91 Syncro camper.
As you can see from the pictures, my current setup doesn't match the Bentley illustrations or anything else that I've seen while scouring Google results. There is no nut incorporated onto the rod or any other visible way to turn it. A 3-foot pipe wrench with all my weight on it didn't budge. Any input would be helpful, thank you.

Hi @vanajeep , have you figured out how to remove the rod from the control arm?
I also need to separate those two elements and I do not want to strip or deform the arm trying to change the rod.
I also searched everywhere for informations without luck, therefore I am thinking to try with the jam nuts trick, like when you want to remove the studs from an engine.

what do you think/suggest?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Syncro radius rod? Reply with quote

azanutta- why are you trying to remove the rod? Is yours bent and needs replacing? Otherwise there is no reason to remove the radius rod from the lower control arm.

If yours is bent and does need replacing you may need to resort to heat to break the bond. VW most likely used a strong bonding agent on the threads to keep the rod from twisting when adjusting the radius nut.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: