Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel bearing size.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubbuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

Probably a dumb question, but here it goes.
I just replaced my fron axel beam on my '68 beetle and need to find out what wheel bearings I should be looking for.
The bearings that came off my old beam are too small for the replacement beam.
I understand that in '68 there was some changes made and I possibly have a "late" '68 model.
I guess my question is with the new beam needing a larger bearing do I need to order bearings for '68 through '79??
I ask this here because I don't want blank stares from the dude at the local parts house.....

Thanks for any help!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

eye wood think sow..but better let the useless parts store guy try to figure out what they wont fit....thats worth it just for all the stupid looks you can give him/her.......quick funny story...35 years ago my wife worked at autoshack..... and I would go in there to buy parts for my prostreet drag car.....2x 4bb, tunnel ram...narrowed dana 60 rearend, (4 speed hemi cuda stuff) and much much more, the only thing oe on that car was part of the body....come to think of it...my bug is the same way Shocked she wouldent give up till she got me the right parts....she was a keeper!!!!
SdAufKla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

What model year is your new axel beam from?

Don't be surprised if you also have to replace the front brake drums, too.

The axels, wheel bearings and brake drums all fit together with the inside diameter of the bearings matched to the axels and their outside diameters matched to the brake drums.

Just looking at some parts listings on various vendor websites, the model year break seems to be between '67 and '68, so someone else here with more knowledge might be able to provide some details on the parts differences.
Zar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

I don't have an answer to your question but I've also had troubles getting the correct wheel bearings for my 68. It has the original front beam and spindles. From what I have researched I believe my 68 was built in the month of June.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

68 early had larger inner bearings on the brake drums.
About 68.5 Vw changed to a smaller diameter inner wheel bearing.
The outer is the same throughout the year.
And no. You don not have to source new drums to change the bearings from one size to another. You just change the inner bearing race and your good to go.

Whats likely happened. Is that you have early spindles on your new front end.

If you had installed drop spindles. You'd use the 68.5 inner bearing. GO to the FLAPS and get one of each size. Figure out which is correct and take back the incorrect one for exchange.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
74Shovel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

If you have the old bearings, and if they are in reasonable condition, you should be able to find a set of numbers on the edge of the bearing and race (seals have these numbers as well). The numbers relate to the inside and outside diameters, and width (though I cannot remember the particular order). If you cannot trust the competense of the local parts supplier, take the old bearings to a local bearing supply shop. They will get you what you need based on those numbers, as opposed to year and model of vehicle. I had to do this for various obsolete seals and bearings when I restored a 1974 Honda motorcycle.

Good luck with your project.

'78 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubbuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel bearing size. Reply with quote

Great info guys!
I'm by far better informed than going to the local parts house for name that part.

Thanks again Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: