Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

I don't claim to be an expert either, but Operation Torch, the Allied invasion of
North Africa in November 1942 and the North African Campaign of 1942 -1943 have long been an area of particular interest. We have a 1942 Aeronca L-3 artillery spotter aircraft painted in desert camouflage and Operation Torch markings that we have displayed at airshows since 1991 and is the reason for the Typ 87 clone to be used as a " captured vehicle ". Captured VWs were quite popular during the war and there are many photos to prove it. Our " clone will be painted " dunklegelb ", dark yellow known to be used by DAK, possibly with the DAK palm tree on the door, but there is no way I would put a swastika on anything ! My information indicates that most if not all Typ 87s were rag tops which is why I spent the time and effort to find our '55 sunroof donor. You may be correct to assume that the officer in front of the car photo you have might be SS, as there was also a version of Off Road Beetles known as the Typ 92SS, made specifically for that notorious band of cut throats and war criminals. It is my understanding that Rommel would not tolerate the " ethnic cleansing " so widespread in other theatres of operation by German forces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

After looking at the photo you refer to ( missed it first time around ), I would say it most likely is a Typ 82e Off Road Beetle judging by the lack of the wider Kronprinz wheels and sand tires and no rag top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
..... and artists renditions of vehicles in desert settings, but no actual photos.

Given the huge number of Typ 82 Kubel photos, there must have been a lot of soldiers with cameras. If any of them saw a Type 87 kdf, surely they would have taken a few pics.
Yet no wartime pictures exist of Typ 87, 92SS, or Schwimmwagens in North Africa.
The call is out to photo collectors. Post your pics of a Schwimmer or Typ 87 in N. Africa.

I can think of a good reason why they were never sent to N. Africa. Spare parts was a HUGE problem for Rommel. Hitler wouldn't send spare parts, instead he wanted those spare parts to be used to make more vehicles. It was hard enough for Rommel to get spares for just Kubels, the more complicated 4wd VWs would have had a much worse spare parts problem.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Our " clone will be painted " dunklegelb ", dark yellow known to be used by DAK,

A minor point is the colour. The overwhelming majority of Kubels in N. Africa were Field Grey. Dark yellow wasn't used until mid 1943 just as the Germans were being pushed out of Tunisia. The colour is a minor point when you're re-creating a vehicle that wasn't used in that theater.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

Bruce, One thing I've learned in historic research is not to make conclusions that something was or wasn't a fact, since recorded history is constantly being revised and rewritten. I was told early on in the restoration of our airplane that the type was NEVER used in North Africa and several years later a veteran Liaison pilot who served in Fifth Army as Air Officer sent me a photo of an Aeronca L-3 being turned over to a Free French artillery battalion at Sidi Bel Abess ( sp ? ). To say that the Typ 87 was never used by DAK, when there are numerous references and model interpretations of the type, although admittedly so far with no photographic proof, would seem premature if a photo does eventually turn up.
I would go so far as to say that it MIGHT have been used, pending any supporting proof. Also, it is my understanding that most if not all wartime VWs were delivered from the factory in matte black and painted in theatre in whatever appropriate colour would be used. Out replica will follow that theory with only the exterior being dunklegelb. Several photos describe paint colors as " white wash " over the original colour. I'm always careful to choose my words and not make statements that will embarrass me later.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Also, it is my understanding that most if not all wartime VWs were delivered from the factory in matte black and painted in theatre in whatever appropriate colour would be used.

That statement right there shows how clueless you truly are about kdf vehicles. Kubels and schwimmers never left the factory in black.

Bruce is completely right on all points. More than enough historical facts about to confirm it without a doubt.

And this thread is pure hilarity. Making a fake vehicle that was never made in wartime to begin with....but please do continue Popcorn
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

Perhaps I should clarify my statement concerning colour. It should read " Sedan bodied vehicles apparently left the factory in matte black ". The fact that photos of the Typ 87 in DAK use have been elusive, I haven't seen any supporting, definitive evidence that they weren,t either. Are you happy now ?
codemachinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:

And this thread is pure hilarity. Making a fake vehicle that was never made in wartime to begin with....but please do continue Popcorn

VW claims they were made from 1941 to 1943. You're saying their documentation is wrong?
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Are you happy now ?

I’m getting there lol.

codemachinist wrote:
VW claims they were made from 1941 to 1943. You're saying their documentation is wrong?

Proof?

The only ones in this configuration that are actually known to exist are post war examples and a very small handful of hand built ones by enthusiasts using wartime parts, again post war builds.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

According to several different sources currently in print, approximately 669 to 800 " Off Road Beetles ", sedan bodies on Kubelwagen chassis were produced out of the total of about 65,000 Kublewagens made between 1941 - 1945. What documentation supports your claims of " only post war production " ?
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
sedan bodies on Kubelwagen chassis were produced

And this fact I never was contesting....also kubels were never four wheel drive...My statement applies only to the beetles that were four wheel drive using schwimmwagen components. Those were never produced in wartime.

Thought I was pretty clear in all this given that I referred to what the op was intending to attempt to produce lol
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

I would suggest you check your sources, the Typ 87, 4 - wheel drive chassis with sedan body is listed in the tally of wartime production, lol.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I would suggest you check your sources, the Typ 87, 4 - wheel drive chassis with sedan body is listed in the tally of wartime production, lol.

Where? In some "book" you found?

They never produced them in wartime.

If you had ever closely looked at a schwimmer and kubel in person you'd realize the vast work required to fit the shorter four wheel driveline into the kubel/beetle platform. I could easily make you a laundry list of what would be required to just fit the transmission, shifter tower, front diff., and pedal assembly. Also putting that driveline into a beetle would have been far more complex than putting it into a kubel. VW would not have undertaken such an effort in wartime when the kubel had already shown to be a more than capable off-road vehicle with its rwd setup. Hence why they only put the kubel running gear under the beetle. Lastly the only real reason schwimmers were four wheel drive was to aid it in getting out of rivers and lakes.

I get it, you found it listed in some book(s) and therefore it must be real...but no known examples exist today and no pictures of one in wartime exist.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

Open your horizons and Google Typ 87 in North Africa, and see for yourself, unless of course you don't like to be wrong.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
Open your horizons and Google Typ 87 in North Africa, and see for yourself, unless of course you don't like to be wrong.

Open my horizons? Hilarious. Ok then:

"It was likely that only 3 were produced". And yet there are no known definitive pictures to back this up.

https://books.google.com/books?id=hNKSCwAAQBAJ&...mp;f=false

i still stand by my point that vw would have never wasted the effort required during wartime to modify a beetle to accept the schwimmer driveline. To actually put something like that into production in the numbers you and some of those books claim would require massive retooling. You have never seen a schwimmer driveline up close and with the center tunnel removed. To get that to work in a beetle/kubel pan would have been a massive undertaking and lots of modifications would have had to been made.

Lastly I further restate my other fact, no known examples exist. No pictures of one exist.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

If you'll take the time to reference and read through Chapter # 12, " Typ 87 Kommandeurwagen ", you will find a full description of its manufacture and use.
A total of 382 built, most going to the Afrika Korps. Thanks for providing the supporting information you said did not exist.
Congratulations on finally doing your research.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
If you'll take the time to reference and read through Chapter # 12, " Typ 87 Kommandeurwagen ", you will find a full description of its manufacture and use.
A total of 382 built, most going to the Afrika Korps. Thanks for providing the supporting information you said did not exist.
Congratulations on finally doing your research.

Yes, beetles built on the kubel platform. That much the author got right. There was never any 4wd kubel variants so his claim about that information was completely incorrect.

Had vw possibly made 3 prototype 4wd beetles during wartime? Perhaps. But they sure as heck didn’t enter into production on the vehicle. Again you’re showing your complete lack of knowledge of the differences between the kubel and schwimmer driveline. to think that simply making it work would be an easy affair is wrong. Masssive tooling would have to be made to enter that vehicle into any sort of assembly line to produce the numbers claimed. I can’t even begin to think of all the reinforcing that would be required to the kubel/beetle pan to use 4wd setup from a schwimmer.

382 vehicles supposedly shipped to North Africa and not one single picture exists. Bravo on your proof. Books very rarely get kdf vehicles right.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

I guess there is no point at which you're going to accept anything but your own opinion, since " books rarely get it right ". It was the information that you provided that contradicts your claims. The Typ 87 is clearly described as 4 WD and distinct from the 2 WD Typ 82E. I'm quite clear on the distinction between 2WW and 4WD. Bravo on your own proof.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I guess there is no point at which you're going to accept anything but your own opinion. Bravo on your own proof.

Own opinion backed up with over 10 years experience restoring ww2 German vehicles specializing in kubels and schwimmers working with people that each have over 30 years experience in the same field. To say those around me know their vw history is an understatement.

Congrats again on your books and happy modeling.
codemachinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 or 877 beetle 4x4 front diff housing Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
geneL3c wrote:
I guess there is no point at which you're going to accept anything but your own opinion. Bravo on your own proof.

Own opinion backed up with over 10 years experience restoring ww2 German vehicles specializing in kubels and schwimmers working with people that each have over 30 years experience in the same field. To say those around me know their vw history is an understatement.

Congrats again on your books and happy modeling.

Oh man. You probably should have read that out loud to yourself before you posted that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: