Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

Just as the title suggests. I have an unidentified clone body that has seen better days. I personally don't know how to work with fiberglass and have never done it. Fixing and painting that is the first and probably cheaper option. The other option is to purchase a new Berrien Nostalgia body and simply bolt it on. The more expensive but much easier option. Money is a factor but I can save up and by the body during the winter as the buggy won't be done before fall ends anyway. Another thing is I am not too crazy on the shape of the old body, the body itself is acceptable but its hood is terrible, not in anyway what I would want. Of course, it is fiberglass so it can be reworked but again I have no knowledge about fiberglass. I am leaning towards selling the old body and buying a Berrien but am looking for other's opinions.
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

If you have to pay someone to paint it and do the bodywork it will probably be cheaper to by the new body..besides seams like you already know what you want..you don't like the body you have..

I vote new body unless you can find an old one that you like.

Good luck
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

The Samba has a dedicated paint/body forum that will help you far more than you will get in this forum.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

Take and post pics. If u decide to sell start an ad in the classified section.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

What is more important to you...the journey or the destination?
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

I'd say both are equally important. I have done everything by myself turning this car from a super beetle into a torsion bar front end and eventually making a buggy out of it. My plan is to do all the work I can by myself and only have help or pay for the things I absolutely can't do. Namely body work and the initial tune up.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

like jspbtown said.Do u want a "turnkey buggy?".For me personally I enjoy doing all the work myself.anything that has been beyond my scope of things I got a Ton of help from guys on this site.u will have to decide if its too far gone for u to attempt or not.I prefer the older bodys myself.I would NOT be happy with certain body styles.If u do not like the body style it will bother u the entire time u are building it.So make sure its the body style u want or love.just my opinion.....Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

Bkhansen93 ,I know that bodywork prices in my area would get extremely high in a short amount of time.well over 100 dollars an hour in my area.i was able to find a body that I love being sold on this site in the classifieds for $1,000 bucks.it was a complete roller, u can see in my pics.I think there is a lot more bodys being sold during the winter months on here.I would definitely make sure the body work is not going to outweigh the price of a new/used body. Like I said before, It would of drove me nuts if I built a body that I did not like the shape of.That would eat at me if I didn't like the shape of the hood,rearend etc.Those were the first things I look for. Nose/hood and the shape of the rearend…. Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

If you don't like the body style you have, no amount of paint and polish is going to change that. You either have to do major surgery, or get a different body.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

Fiberglass is a blast to work with. Its very forgiving and isn't as scratchy as most people claim.

In fact I still have a roll that's about 8" diameter and 3 feet high that I am holding onto even though I don't see another buggy in my immediate future.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

Fiberglass can be worked with same tools as wood working... Preped and painted like any car body... Is not difficult, just dirty (dusty) work.... If you like body but not hood, customize hood.....

There is a difference in pride of ownership in something you have salvage from potential oblivion as to something anybody can go out and buy and it will look like 200 other buggies that are identical off showroom floor... Want to be individual or just another one of the crowd...

IF you mind is made up you don't like the body in question the is no point in this discussion....

Pic of body would help us understand what you believe to be ugly...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vanderjw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

I had the same issue. I went ahead and got a new Berrien Nostalgia body and windshield at the same time. It was a no brainer for me. The people at Berrien are easy to work with.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

I’d start with the new body.
I’ve found I can YouTube just about any wrench twisting and get the results intended.

Paint and body work on the other hand not so much. Sure I can find the mechanics of doing the work but not the patients required. Not the same as nut and bolt work, there’s an art form to it.

But paint and body that’s where soooooo many here sell their own talents short. It’s not as easy as many here will lead you to believe.

Just my findings anyway, enjoy.

AMAC
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Berrien Body or Restoring Unidentified Body Reply with quote

Fiberglass.. oh so itchy! But i think I've built up a bit of a reaction to it over the years. I'm currently restoring a body I bought, it's rough with really poor previous work, and wishing I had bought a new or better body, It also depends how much you want to change, the condition of the body you have. If it's been worked already, and if that work wast done poorly. Sanding off layers of delaminating fiberglass to find dirt under is not fun! Also depends who made your body and how... mine seems to be half filler, and it looks that way from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: