Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
what about panel bond? I am considering that on my inner brace and inner wheel well rather than welding. Its proven technology now that requires no heat! No warpage and much less potential for rust!

That's what I was considering. I think that may be the way to go. The place I get my paint from sells it. I will check it out!
Thanks Ryan!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
what about panel bond? I am considering that on my inner brace and inner wheel well rather than welding. Its proven technology now that requires no heat! No warpage and much less potential for rust!

That's what I was considering. I think that may be the way to go. The place I get my paint from sells it. I will check it out!
Thanks Ryan!

Many new cars are glued together. Trick is to prep the metal correctly for whatever product you use.

You will need a way to hold everything strait while it hardens though.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

Thanks Ryan!

Many new cars are glued together. Trick is to prep the metal correctly for whatever product you use.

I think Christian, the guy from Austria that has the 56 semaphore single cab thread used panel bond to put his entire truck together. It is only one spot on mine that will only keep it from rattling. I’m pretty sure I can get clamps up there. I’m going to have to do some creative cleaning to get the copperweld
paint out of there, though.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

oh that's right he did! I need to take a trip through his thread tonight.

i was thinking of welding the bottom inner rocker, the rear corner, the top bed lip and the rear corner but bonding the inner brace and the fender well just to keep the heat out of the flat sides

Burlyhammer wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

Thanks Ryan!

I think Christian, the guy from Austria that has the 56 semaphore single cab thread used panel bond to put his entire truck together. It is only one spot on mine that will only keep it from rattling. I’m pretty sure I can get clamps up there. I’m going to have to do some creative cleaning to get the copperweld
paint out of there, though.
Laughing
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Great work!
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
My bud Justin found a 5/63 bus rim for the bus. He also had a trans seal and engine seal kit.
Thanks Justin!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am trying to wrap up the transaxle rehab/cleanup project, so I can get back to the metal work on the bus. I painted most of the hardware, but decided to powercoat the wheel lug nuts:

I figured this would hold up a little better, since they will have a wrench on them more often.

Thanks for the creds man!!!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The goal was to take this bus to Flanders, NJ to the All Aircooled Gathering this weekend. Once it became apparent that the bus would not be ready, we thought about towing it down. I listened to the voice of reason (my son, Type2RescueMaine) who did not want to tow the bus in our convoy. I am bummed that the 15 Window will not be there, but glad that we have other options, and will still be going. We are looking forward to the road trip, the camping, and the show. Hope to see you there! The new goal for this bus will be Transporterfest in Brookline, MA Oct. 7, and the goal after that is a club swap meet at the famous Bill Baines estate in Southern Maine Oct. 19th Plenty of time Wink

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

you have accomplished a stunning amount of work on this bus! and you have another aircooled to drive in the meantime. i'm going on two years with nothing to take to the shows lol
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
i'm going on two years with nothing to take to the shows lol

That just means the first time you're able to take your SC to a show, or even on a drive, it'll be that much more satisfying and you'll feel even more accomplished. Very Happy
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
you have accomplished a stunning amount of work on this bus! and you have another aircooled to drive in the meantime. i'm going on two years with nothing to take to the shows lol

I finally got our Westy going after doing nothing on cars for 15 years. I decided to fix the Westy since it needed the least amount of work to get going (and my visual standards are not high). My son did not believe we would ever have one running! HAHA He got his learners permit on Tuesday, and drove us home in the bus!
Your truck project is awesome, and you know it's being done right! They will be on the road soon enough!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
i'm going on two years with nothing to take to the shows lol

That just means the first time you're able to take your SC to a show, or even on a drive, it'll be that much more satisfying and you'll feel even more accomplished. Very Happy

X2^^
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

you're working harder than your welder could handle!

I wish I could make it down to Flanders but its just not in the cards for me this time. I will definitely be at Transporterfest and the Salem camp out though. I haven't missed it in 20 years and I definitely will not miss seeing your bus there.

you are giving me wild ideas of getting my bus up to that show one way or another.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
you're working harder than your welder could handle!

I wish I could make it down to Flanders but its just not in the cards for me this time. I will definitely be at Transporterfest and the Salem camp out though. I haven't missed it in 20 years and I definitely will not miss seeing your bus there.

you are giving me wild ideas of getting my bus up to that show one way or another.....

Haha. I was going to put the running gear and motor in ours and tow it to Flanders. Then I thought about bringing it on the rotisserie. I would like to see projects in the "under construction" state at shows. If you want to bring yours to the Transporterfest, I will come by and help you load it up! We camped on Winter Island in the fort last year. It was awesome!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

We made a 1000+ mile trip to Flanders, NJ for the All Aircooled Gathering this weekend. We took the Bay Westy and rode down with J.P. and Justin P. for an awesome weekend. Great car show and awesome swap meet. I found a bunch of needed parts for the bus (and some parts for other projects too)

Now we are back, so we will get back to work on the bus!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I have been working on the corner this week. It has been a little difficult to fit. I fixed the radius where it meets the wheel arch. I will fix the actual rusted wheel arch section once I have the corner in. I did not realize when I was fitting the corner that it seems to flare out below the welded seam. I did not take any photos, but will. Here is where I am at:

I did not take an after photo of this edge. I will get a photo of that also.

It is pretty much welded in. I think I may have to fold up the battery tray that was attached to the D Pillar I spliced in, in order to hammer out the welded seam. We will see.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice 👍🏽
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Your work and personality are such an inspiration. I'm always looking forward to your posts. Inspirational and educational. Thanks!
Vwprok37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice work man!!
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I was at a couple gatherings over the last month and scored some needs parts as well. Seeing the ease at which you can get to the hard to reach areas, I think I’m going to build a rotisserie next time around. That bus has really shaped up!
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer, can you take a look at my Bus build thread i just started and let me know what you would do for rust prep? I bought the MasterCoat you used and put it on my sons bug that we just finished. For the bus, I’d like to get it on the road sooner than later, thinking about rust prep around the front windshield so i can paint the front clip as is with no body work. Would you use MasterCoat on visible body work or just on undercarriage/frame? Silly question because I’m going to cut it all out eventually anyway, but i wanted to hear your thoughts for the metal i am going to keep.

Thanks in advance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 86

Jump to: