Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

living in the woods...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: living in the woods... Reply with quote

... spent a lotta' time in the woods from 1962 to 1970 and again, when we married in '82 after our one year North American jaunt in the Vanagon Westy, when we lived in the woods - that lifestyle, living in a 1920s 3 room cabin, in the woods, became a focal point for me - a philosophy - a religion -

One day, a ragged man walked outta' the forest, carrying a couple of dead squirrels and a lever-action, single shot, .22 caliber rifle - he was out hunting for dinner, with no regard for licenses or hunting seasons. John was his name. rented an old one room log cabin, in the woods, about 1/2 mile from me, burned wood for heat, drank and cooked with hauled lake water, had an out house, had an old 1952 Chevy with tow boom is how he eeked out a living to sustain himself - he was a real woodsman and we became great acquaintances. He lived there for about 6 years and was finally arrested for hitting a cop, with a pipe and we lost touch... he once went to a car show with me, in my 1950 11G.

Time spent before computers was much more creative - one was inclined to conjure up mental and physical images to realize a creative life style. I had/have quite a library of books, photographic 35 mm slides, artistic supplies and little found objects found in nature, like: seed pods, cocoon pods, rock and mineral specimens, fossils, collected and displayed bird's eggs and nests, rattle snake rattle, animal tails, teeth, talons, sheets of birch bark, transplanted flowering plants into my garden, wood and canvas canoe collecting, cut out tree knots, wormed wood, bark, arrow heads, skeletal sculls, empty turtle shells, pressed and dried flowers, brightly colored pressed autumn leaves, mounted insects, butterflies, beetles and bugs, took walks on the nearby Appellation Trail whenever time allowed, hikes up 1800 ft Mombasha Mountain, foraged for and ate wild blue berries, wild choke cherries, apples, pears, plumbs all kinda' seeds, walnuts, hickory nuts, percans (in Oklahoma), chestnuts, brewed teas from wild bergamot, mint leaves, sassafras roots, wild wintergreen, bees wax, rose hips, some flower pedals, ate frogs legs, drank very cold and deep artesian well water (our water supply), observed chipmunks, a variety of birds, - eagles, hawks and other raptors, colorful birds, with a net caught small fish, crayfish, water bugs, snails, small red-ear turtles, aquatic plants and anything natural for my fish tank, collected and kept pets - toads, frogs, turtles, both land tortoises and water types, collected meal worms and night crawlers for a food supply, snapping turtles, eastern box turtles, wood turtle and others, made it a point to be able to identify all trees by foliage, bark and fruit, if any, scouted for - fell - cut into lengths - split - hauled - stacked, to dry - burned - knew the properties of - firewood as we heated with wood in a small Morso, squirrel-one long legged Scandinavian box stove/heater - maintained a nature book of all the flowers that grew on our property and in the local area and dates of bloom, rerecorded the weather, dates of the seasons, weather events, sun rise and set times... camped-out in a tent or in our 1971 Westy - collected wood and canvas canoes, went sail canoeing and swimming - Yup, life before the computer was pretty exciting...

... mother nature has a lot to offer, to keep one amused.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

I did that shit when I was living on my own from 15 until about 20. Fishing, shooting rabbits, squirrels, & deer in upstate NY, now that I own my 2,000 sqft home with HVAC free & clear, I'll be damned if I'm gonna trudge to a nearby stream to fetch water unless the SHTF & I have to get out of the city.

There’s a difference between retiring to a tranquil place to live in peace & going out in the woods to see if you can survive. I’d much rather work for a living than work to live. The latter is an unforgiving existence.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I did that shit when I was living on my own from 15 until about 20. Fishing, shooting rabbits, squirrels, & deer in upstate NY, now that I own my 2,000 sqft home with HVAC free & clear, I'll be damned if I'm gonna trudge to a nearby stream to fetch water unless the SHTF & I have to get out of the city.

... totally depends on the situation - I would rough-it again if circumstances warranted, even though I, like you, am from upstate NY and am debt free... easy to do, when one brings their real Yankee dollars to a less-expensive state... now we're on the prairie and no leaves to rake.

- Were you affected by Florence at all?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

Not really, just a close call from a large branch that fell from about 80’ above me. Mostly just rain. Thanks though, the areas south & east of us are getting the worst of it now. Parts of S.C. aren’t expecting to see the water level crest for another day or two.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

I have lotsa trees around me... and many people are in the woods....even when they have never been in a Forrest......kinda like gump.
Im sure I could live in a city.but walking out side and grabbing something to eat off my trees sure is nice along with all the flowers and bushes . and of coarse having 1-3 cars/people go by my home every day aint bad either. Ive been told years ago that the woods across the street is a sanctuary and can never be built uppon....ya right,the way they are buying ho old homes and putting 2 or 3 big homes on the lot I can see somehow the bird/critter sanctuary status not being filled quite right...rabbits, foxes, birds and a few crops have been in there too Wink . I wish i had the $$ to buy the lot behind mine and flatten the "house" on there now,I'd probably make a small forest with a spot for my camper....or ...put a pile of homes 2' apart 3 story tall... and be set for life....not gonna happen, but the forest would be nice..or a small cabin for maw, she misses hers up in the smokeys, as do I.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

Why not go all in like Cris did? He went to Alaska he got into a situation and it cost him his life. He died alone in the woods. True story by author John Krakauer “ Into the Wild”. Be careful learn from what he did.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Why not go all in like Cris did? He went to Alaska he got into a situation and it cost him his life. He died alone in the woods. True story by author John Krakauer “ Into the Wild”. Be careful learn from what he did.

No don't learn what "he" did but learn from it! there are lots of idiots from all over the world that come up here following his trail out to that bus and we pay for their rescue all the time. If you want to come up here and live off the grid or even live like people from the 17/18 hundreds that's fine it can be done and there are a lot of people up here that are willing to help a cheechako to find out what it takes, but McCandless was a dumb ass.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I went to that Movie years ago, Everything that kid did, pissed me off, it was like watching a slow motion train wreck.
There is a way to learn this stuff like olspeed said.
All of this put me in mind of the beginning of Shasta Snow Trip,
Because here is a guy that has learned the skills, and then prepared and safely completed his challenge:
kombisutra wrote:

Mt. Shasta Snow Trip & Background and Concept

The Mount Shasta Snow Trip was initially conceived from the 2000 mid- winter crossing of Mendocino Pass from Willows to Covelo via the very snowed-in Hwy 162 in a stock, 6 volt 1965 VW single cab. Being programmed for survival by -and recently separated from the USMC- had me looking at this trek militarily. Ready for my own personal war, I prepared. Before setting out on this trip, I inspected and practiced installing the old style chains I was to use and had confidence in them. If I broke a chain, I had repair links. If I tossed a set of chain rubbers, I had a second set and trucker's bungee cords. If I punctured a tire, I had plugs and a full air tank. If I blew a tire, I had a spare, and another one just in case. If the six-volt battery went dead, I had an auxiliary twelve-volt and cables to jump with. If I got struck for some reason, I had a fifty-foot cable and a come-along. Additionally, I carried a floor jack, my full tool box, ten gallons of gas, a fire extinguisher, three quarts of 20/50, food for a week, warm clothing including gloves, good rain gear, military mummy bag, two flashlights, propane lantern, comprehensive first aid kit, camera, HAM radio, cellular phone and most importantly, a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer. If all my contingency planning wasn't enough and the truck got thoroughly stuck, I still had either of two dirt bikes in back I could ride out on.

It turned out to be a war too, an amazing, completely crazy adventure that left me both exhausted and invigorated at the same time. When it was all done, I decided that others should be able to experience something like this; to enjoy these most remote and amazing back roads and the related contingency planning not ordinarily required in normal driving.

Fortunately, you'll not likely experience all the insanity, problems and emotions I did with this "out of the box" type adventure, but that you're here, reading this now, is near-proof that I have succeeded in making a little of this chaos and fun more available to the people. Thank you for showing interest, the weekend's challenges should offer memories -and lessons- for a lifetime.

Stay focused, remain vigilant, obey logic and be good to one another. I really hope you can make it.

Brian

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

No don't learn what "he" did but learn from it! there are lots of idiots from all over the world that come up here following his trail out to that bus and we pay for their rescue all the time. If you want to come up here and live off the grid or even live like people from the 17/18 hundreds that's fine it can be done and there are a lot of people up here that are willing to help a cheechako to find out what it takes, but McCandless was a dumb ass.

Indeed he had lived off the land many times for extended periods of time. Where he miscalculated was the seasonal changes, rising water after snow melt and running out of food then making another bad decision to eat seeds which caused an illness and weakened him further. His mother, father and sister probably don’t remember him as a dumbass. Have a respect for the great outdoors because if you don’t it can bite you, maybe that’s what I’m saying. The next post sounds great with all the provisions and spares but what of the human factor? Injury illness and disease can come on fast. I’d say why be alone take a friend with you.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

I went to that Movie years ago, Everything that kid did, pissed me off

Like turning down Kristen Stewart Very Happy

"That girl's about ready to hop a fence post"

I thought the movie was pretty decent. Also the Eddie Vedder soundtrack was phenomenal.

Link

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
olspeed wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Indeed he had lived off the land many times for extended periods of time. Where he miscalculated was the seasonal changes, rising water after snow melt and running out of food then making another bad decision to eat seeds which caused an illness and weakened him further. His mother, father and sister probably don’t remember him as a dumbass. Have a respect for the great outdoors because if you don’t it can bite you, maybe that’s what I’m saying. The next post sounds great with all the provisions and spares but what of the human factor? Injury illness and disease can come on fast. I’d say why be alone take a friend with you.

The thing is being prepared and listening to the locals, he had been warned by local people about going out into Denali park with what he had for supplies and protection... if he would have at least brought some fishing gear with him he would have had food, Rainbows and grayling don't know it's a cranberry till after the hook is set and you can dig up cranberries even in the dead of winter as they don't all fall from the bush, it's a lot easier than hunting rabbits (he had a 22) as the amount of wolfs in that area keep the population down to the bare minimum.

One of the places that I visit on my sled rides is an old guy that has a place on the Talkeetna river he is about an hours boat ride in the summer and it takes a little over an hour by sled, he will be turning 91 this year and has lived there since the 70's when a good friend of mine's father and us young bucks helped him build his cabin, he has no running water(hauls it) no electric, cuts his own firewood, he is (in my opinion) a true mountain man.

Thing is as I said before if someone is willing to listen and learn from the local folks you can live off the grid completely if that is your wish but we have to many that come up here with that attitude that they know it all and that they are going to show us how its done. Oh and then we have the one's that bring a friend... Timothy Treadwell comes to mind.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

I've never been truly off the grid (except backpacking in the Sierras), but I did live on a few acres about 5 miles out of town at the Angeles National Forest boundary. It was about a mile long dirt road (non-County maintained), and a creek to cross, which couldn't be done when it rained or for half a day after. This was back when we got rain in California...

We had electricity and phone, but everything else was ours... water well, leach field, no cable TV, etc. Sort of the "gentleman rancher" kind of living. Great to raise kids!

But I found the boonies draws three types of people:
1) The old timers, who want to be left alone, but can be counted on in a crisis.
2) The "Green Acres" kind, who are somewhat clueless but friendly, and get along.
3) The folks that normal society has rejected as crazy and/or violent. These last folks can be scary.

I called the sheriff when one repeatedly tore through my fences and gates to squat on land he didn't own about a mile behind me (remember the bumper sticker "Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO own the whole damn road"? That was me.). One day he threatened to kill me if I put the gate and fences up again. I called 911 and sat with my shotgun a few yards back from my front door and to the side, in case he beat the cops to me.

When they arrived, they arrested him and found a trunkful of automatic weapons and ammo, and took him off to jail for a parole violation.

They told me he made the same threat to another neighbor in the next canyon north, and (fortunately when the owner was on vacation) shot up his house in a rural drive-by. Filled his garage full of holes.

Flash forward about three years or so, and I ran across the same deputies, and I asked if they had hear from him. They said he'd been out two years, but they hadn't heard anything. They guessed he crossed the wrong dude and was 6 feet under by now, since they always had a contact every 6 months or so, but hadn't this time.

They said this with a smile.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
ach60 wrote:

I went to that Movie years ago, Everything that kid did, pissed me off

Like turning down Kristen Stewart Very Happy

"That girl's about ready to hop a fence post"

I thought the movie was pretty decent. Also the Eddie Vedder soundtrack was phenomenal.

Link

I agree, I thought the movie was great!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
olspeed wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

The thing is being prepared and listening to the locals, he had been warned by local people about going out into Denali park with what he had for supplies and protection... if he would have at least brought some fishing gear with him he would have had food, Rainbows and grayling don't know it's a cranberry till after the hook is set and you can dig up cranberries even in the dead of winter as they don't all fall from the bush, it's a lot easier than hunting rabbits (he had a 22) as the amount of wolfs in that area keep the population down to the bare minimum.

One of the places that I visit on my sled rides is an old guy that has a place on the Talkeetna river he is about an hours boat ride in the summer and it takes a little over an hour by sled, he will be turning 91 this year and has lived there since the 70's when a good friend of mine's father and us young bucks helped him build his cabin, he has no running water(hauls it) no electric, cuts his own firewood, he is (in my opinion) a true mountain man.

Thing is as I said before if someone is willing to listen and learn from the local folks you can live off the grid completely if that is your wish but we have to many that come up here with that attitude that they know it all and that they are going to show us how its done. Oh and then we have the one's that bring a friend... Timothy Treadwell comes to mind.

I was trying to remember that guy's name Yesterday!
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Then there are those that can get themselves nearly killed at the zoo.
San Francisco:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2011/02/...eport.html
And Binky the polar bear in Anchorage:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news-19/watch-video-...10053.html
I used to have a Tee shirt with Binky's photo on it.
A shoe is hanging out of the bear's mouth.
"Binky say's Bring me some more tourists"
I bought it the Anchorage Zoo.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

... an interesting read by John McPhee is, Coming into the Country = about homesteading in Alaska... would not be for me -

Read lotza' books by the wilderness philosopher, Calvin Rutstrum - check 'em out.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

Binky looked so proud of himself at the end of the video.

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

People die in the woods when they are stupid. Period.

If you are a newbie, do not go wander into the woods in the dead of winter and think you can make a shelter and eat all the animals around you. And certainly do NOT go out there with just a .22 rifle.

you will need several axes, saws, rifles -large ones at least a .308 and lots of ammo, a compound bow, fire-making tools, cooking pots, lots of salt, sugar, fishing equipments, winter clothings.... my point is don't do this crap in dead of winter thinking it is a camping trip.

Go out there in the Spring time and fell trees for you firewood next fall/winter. Build your shelter enough to last you a nice long snow storm.

I too have this dream of doing this for the most part of the year when I retire. I want to experience the woods in the Fall/Winter and emerge in the spring. I have thought of a nice chunk of land in West VA, or MO. Build my cabin...just like Jeremiah Johnson. LOL.

I like the freedom. But I may have to do that by myself if wifey doesnt go along. She does not mind a couple of weeks or three in the woods. But longer might take some convincing.

Alaska will be a nice experience but this will have to be carefully planned or you will be another rescue the locals have to deal with.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

I read about McCandles a bit more - the kid was stupider than I thought. How does someone go out there in April and die in August of starvation?

Some say his foraging got him killed -eating or mistaking some plants or seeds.

He was out there the proper time and get ready for the winter onslaught... He never made any shelter or none of that. He thought he was gonna be a nomad in Alaska just move from place to place...kinda like the native Americans when they settled in for the winter in an area. If this kid would have at least lived like them maybe he could have made it out to next spring.

Gotta respect mother nature -she is a bitch!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

We lived in the woods the first 7 years of my life. Not the bullshit vacationer cabin crap. No electricity. No running water. WAY out.

This is not something you want to do. Ever. Period.

Fun memories.
Never again.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: living in the woods... Reply with quote

I always say...one of my favorite things to do is not-camp. I do it every night and I'm damn good at it.
I'm not self motivated and I need external forces to get me up and out. I'd die of depression in the woods without some sort of direction or place to go in the morning or faces to see and people to talk to. I'm like a god damned Golden retriever.

Either way, city mouse for sure...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: