Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I ordered the nuts, washers, and seals from Van-Cafe but didn't order the bearings for faster/cheaper shipping since it seems I can get them locally. As far as the quality, the outer that is listed on Napa's site (in stock at their local store) shows as being FAG brand, which I believe is supposed to be good quality. The inner is their Napa proformer or something like that, which is likely garbage. But again, I'm using these ones to just get to Santiago and then will change the rotors/bearings with all new, quality parts and then keep the old rotor with the new/cheap bearings as an emergency backup. So I'm not too concerned about the longevity of this set - it's just to get me out of a pinch.

I was going to get the rear bearing set as a spare just in case, but it looks like only the inner is available locally. That's not a big deal though...as long as they don't go out soon too Shocked I've replaced those in the last few years though. The front have been in there for who knows how long.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

I know FAG is used on VC's kit - not sure which however.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Alright, so we are rolling again - finally! We got back to Mendoza yesterday after traveling way too many hours. This morning I took a tow truck to the mechanic and we got started. At first we couldn't even get the inner race of the outer bearing off of the spindle. It took some prying but it finally came off. That's when I was really glad that I have a spare spindle now (thanks, Chris), because this one is hosed. I didn't replace it yet, but will once we get to Santiago, which is hopefully in a few days. There were two rollers left in there and a twisted mess of what was the roller cage. Even the thrust washer looked to be deformed a bit.

Either way, the only problem with the install was the outer race for the outer bearing was too small, or the spot in the rotor was too big. To solve it they made some small punches inside the rotor and then also used to bearing adhesive to hold it better in place. Seems to work for now and since that rotor/bearings is going to be my emergency backup, I think it will be fine.

All in all it was quick and cheap work (less than $50). Unfortunately, I only noticed this morning when I looked back at the van through the window of the tow truck that someone stole my hi-lift jack off the front mount! Ughh. I had a lock on there that went through a hole drilled in the mounting bolt, but they broke it off. No idea when that happened but some SOB now has a nice jack. You win some and lose some I guess. At least they didn't break a window and get inside.

Anyway, here's a pic of the spindle and what was left of the outer bearing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Glad you are going, sorry about the jack. Don't mean to mess with your head, but there is a difference in the outer bearing dimensions early and late spindles.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Don't worry, I was schooled on that during this whole ordeal. I've got a late model and the spare spindle I got was a late model as well. Now I've gotta start installing all of the other goodies from the suitcase full of spare parts I brought back with me...
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Just a little update to close out this little saga.

We arrived in Santiago on Tuesday and swapped out the spindle, changed the driver's side upper/lower ball joints, the passenger side bearings, and the brake pads. I had planned on replacing the rotors too but the mechanic said the only ones available here are not good quality and mine still have plenty of life in them. The lower ball joint on the driver's side was completely toast, which I could already tell by looking at the bottom of it. The upper still seemed good but I replaced it anyway since we had everything out and am keeping the old one as a spare. All in all we completed the work in an afternoon and it cost me less than $75 for the labor. Not bad!

There's still some sort of knock/rattling noise when hitting any sort of bump. Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side, but it could be from the rear. I'm going to try to figure that out in Osorno with a mechanic when we get there in a few days. There's maybe a tiny bit of play on the rear wheel when yanking at 9 and 3, but it doesn't seem like enough to be a problem or causing the noise. Either way, apparently it's Chile's independence day next week so we'll get to Osorno just in time for the party!

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with advice and (especially) spare parts! Now on to finding a replacement jack!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Offer up those two rollers as OG replacements with patina and someone will bite...
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Did you tighten up the front shock with the van on the ground? If not, your knocking over bumps could very well be the shock hitting the structure. BTDT
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

I haven't touched those shock bolts since when installed them a little over 2 years ago. At first glance it looked like the top bolt could be tightened down a bit but I can't turn it without the entire shaft turning. The top of the shaft doesn't have the hex slot like some shocks do to keep it still. The bottom bolt seemed really tight too. I'll need to do some more investigating on that.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Well I think we may have found the problem, though I won't know for sure until we put it back together. Either way we found a problem.

The lower ball joint on the passenger side is toast as well. Changing it right now at the same mechanic where we spent 3 weeks living on a slant with the van on ramps while repairing transmission. I think both me and my wife are having flashbacks but we'll hopefully be out of here tonight and in better condition to hit Patagonia.

Fingers crossed!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Nice - glad you found an issue. Something like that clunk/clatter can be unnerving, so it's nice to find it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency breakdown advice (busted front wheel bearing) Reply with quote

Well unfortunately it looks like the noise is still there but at least I know another bad ball joint was replaced. Not sure yet what the noise could be but for now I'm still driving and will try to get under there and figure it out next time it's not raining and muddy, which isn't very often down here! Maybe it's the shock, as mentioned earlier, though I couldn't tighten it any more when i last tried.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: