Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diseased.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Diseased. Reply with quote

I have posted some pictured of this buggy already, but was more looking for some info in it.

if anyone has any info on manufacture or IDing it please let me know
DBA says its brand X0049 i think

well the story goes as this
My uncle got this line on a buggy disassembled, they wanted $400
he originally talk to me about it and we were gonna buy it get it back together then flip it. as we both have a buggy already.
well he goes and picks it up for $400, but then starts thinking he is gonna keep it for himself, but i feel in love with the lines and the top.
told him i would take it for $400.
he said for that price which he paid for it we would keep the 1600dp that came with it.
i said sure as i have a 1300 that runs already.
but now i have decided to rebuild it to my liking taking experience from my first.
onto the pictures

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by cdnltded on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

more photos

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

and some more
rear bumper

the windshield is in perfect shape

and its on a modified 59 pan

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

has some old school lights that i am not sure if i am going to reuse or not. originaly i was thinking turning them 90* from the original mounting and putting them more on the outside

the gas tank has some interesting work done to it the way the filler is mounted it would only fill about 3/4 full and given the angle on conture on the under side, i t would not get much usable fuel. there is no fuel level sendor either

well this is somewhat concerning to me, this side is the worse the other is nowhere near this bad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

You got quite a bit for that $400! Lots of work ahead though. Was the engine in it or a "Oh by the way here is an engine that should work."?

Is the engine complete?

Turn over?

Run?

You could put a monster fuel tank under that hood!

I am sitting here picturing that Buggy in a nice metallic chocolate brown, gold pinstriping and a black roof. Smile

Or - a white roof...
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
You got quite a bit for that $400! Lots of work ahead though. Was the engine in it or a "Oh by the way here is an engine that should work."?

Is the engine complete?

Turn over?

Run?

You could put a monster fuel tank under that hood!

I am sitting here picturing that Buggy in a nice metallic chocolate brown, gold pinstriping and a black roof. Smile

Or - a white roof...

No my uncle took the 1600dp that was in it. I had another guy give me a running 1300 a few months ago. That he took out of his buggy it was running. And complete.
And yeah I might build my own tank this time around.

As for the buggy it needs a ton of glass work. Lots of stress cracks and in needed holes. The chassis has the normal rust areas. The floor will get replaced like the other. But this time the 2X3 tubing will be stood up so I will get a 2” lift.
Theretubes for the clutch and throttle I think are rotted away. I may look for another donor chassis, it may be cheaper as I need all the steel and rubber brake lines, pedal assembly, the bolts for the front shocks are broke flush with the mount.
We will see. It will be a good project
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

Ok, I have a running 1600 DP that I would part with. It is the one that was in my Buggy when I bought it. Stock I think with dual Kadrons, it runs well and has good power but one air cleaner was not fitted tight enough so the right 2 cylinders got dusted and she burns oil at a rate of about 1 liter every 3 tanks of gas. It also has a problem with the oil pump pick up tube I believe. If it gets 1/2 liter low the oil light tends to flicker when you drive and comes on solid with the brakes on. I suspect it is cracked or loose where it plugs into the case at the back of the engine by the oil pump. I found if I ran it 1/2 liter over full there is no oil pressure problem.

We ran this engine all last year even pulled a small trailer with a canoe on it to Vernon BC. My feeling is it would be a cheap fix, bearings, rings and fix the oil pickup tube. The crank end play is still good.

My reason for not keeping it is that it does not fit any of our other VWs because it lacks the mount bosses on the rear of the case for the mustache bar in the Bus and the type 3 and I still have several spare engines that do.

Not looking for a lot of money out of it if you are interested.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ok, I have a running 1600 DP that I would part with. It is the one that was in my Buggy when I bought it. Stock I think with dual Kadrons, it runs well and has good power but one air cleaner was not fitted tight enough so the right 2 cylinders got dusted and she burns oil at a rate of about 1 liter every 3 tanks of gas. It also has a problem with the oil pump pick up tube I believe. If it gets 1/2 liter low the oil light tends to flicker when you drive and comes on solid with the brakes on. I suspect it is cracked or loose where it plugs into the case at the back of the engine by the oil pump. I found if I ran it 1/2 liter over full there is no oil pressure problem.

We ran this engine all last year even pulled a small trailer with a canoe on it to Vernon BC. My feeling is it would be a cheap fix, bearings, rings and fix the oil pickup tube. The crank end play is still good.

My reason for not keeping it is that it does not fit any of our other VWs because it lacks the mount bosses on the rear of the case for the mustache bar in the Bus and the type 3 and I still have several spare engines that do.

Not looking for a lot of money out of it if you are interested.

Shoot me a message over on Facebook
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
. . . well this is somewhat concerning to me, this side is the worse the other is nowhere near this bad

Ya might want to jump on these . . . quick like a bunny . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2194661

No gauge sender on the fuel tank . . . must be a 1961!
You will be able to completely fill the tank only if you add a small (5/16") vent line from the highest point on the tank and run the line up as far on the filler neck as possible . . . probably just below the level (inside & underneath) of the hood.
Add a "tee" fitting in that line for a vent . . . again up high towards the filler neck.
It's neat how the gas cap simulates a radiator cap . . . just be sure somebody doesn't inadvertently put water in there! Razz
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:

Kingston Mills is just north of Kingston, Ontario (my hometown), first locks in the Rideau Canal:
http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/locks/46-49-kingstonmills.html
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
cdnltded wrote:
. . . well this is somewhat concerning to me, this side is the worse the other is nowhere near this bad

Ya might want to jump on these . . . quick like a bunny . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2194661

No gauge sender on the fuel tank . . . must be a 1961!
You will be able to completely fill the tank only if you add a small (5/16") vent line from the highest point on the tank and run the line up as far on the filler neck as possible . . . probably just below the level (inside & underneath) of the hood.
Add a "tee" fitting in that line for a vent . . . again up high towards the filler neck.
It's neat how the gas cap simulates a radiator cap . . . just be sure somebody doesn't inadvertently put water in there! Razz

That is USD for those covers. Can get new from CIP1.ca for almost that price. But thanks for looking out for me.
The chassis is a 59 so I assume the tank should be around there.
I think I am gonna try to find another donor chassis for all the parts I am missing. Kicking my self for scrapping the 3 chassis I had from th first build. Oh well. Live and learn.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

Kingston Mills is just north of Kingston, Ontario (my hometown), first locks in the Rideau Canal:
http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/locks/46-49-kingstonmills.html

Is the phone number from there as well?
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:

That is USD for those covers. Can get new from CIP1.ca for almost that price. But thanks for looking out for me.
The chassis is a 59 so I assume the tank should be around there.
I think I am gonna try to find another donor chassis for all the parts I am missing. Kicking my self for scrapping the 3 chassis I had from th first build. Oh well. Live and learn.

1960/earlier tanks are a completely different (taller) shape . . .
I guessed that your tank is a 1961 because that was the last year for the "reserve tap" . . . hence, no gauge sender.

1961 fuel tank (photo from TheSamba Gallery) . . .

1959 tank looks more like this (photo from TheSamba Gallery) . . .

Good tip on the early torsion bushing covers . . . I did not know that CIP-1 sold them!
Are these what you found? . . . https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D511%2D225%2DCPR
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:

Good tip on the early torsion bushing covers . . . I did not know that CIP-1 sold them!
Are these what you found? . . . https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D511%2D225%2DCPR

Yes that’s what I was looking at
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

I will have a pair coming off my Buggy this winter some time when I change it over to IRS. If you need them sooner I do have another swing axle set up out back that may still have a good set on. I will check when it gets light out. $75 is quite a bit for two pieces of stamped steel!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:

Is the phone number from there as well?

Yes, 613-546-0724.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I will have a pair coming off my Buggy this winter some time when I change it over to IRS. If you need them sooner I do have another swing axle set up out back that may still have a good set on. I will check when it gets light out. $75 is quite a bit for two pieces of stamped steel!

I would be interested in them for sure. No big rush
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

I took a look at the ones off the sand rail and at first glance they looked good.

But then I looked at the bottom side...

The ones that will be coming off the Manx copy look like this. They are a little different and may not work.

I am thinking you could just pop the caps off that are tack welded on to the cover where the older torsion bars used to come through and use them. I'm not sure though, others on this site may know.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

So spent some time on the disease the last couple weeks. Took all the brakes apart to check wear. All looks good except possibly the rear drums might be oversized. Also finally got the dash separated from the hood. I also cleaned up the lights with the holes of using them.

The light situation, the rear lights that came with looked cool. But upon cleaning them up and trying them on the buggy they just didn’t do it for me. Tried a couple of othe styles of lights till I found one that looks killer. The rear lights will be 41 Chevy car lights.

And I am currently looking for another pan with everything I need on it. There is a lot of stuff missing on the original
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Diseased. Reply with quote

If I am correct this should be a 1960 pan

And this should be a 61-65 40HP

And this should be a 1973 1600

Let’s hope the motors are good
And the pan will be the new pan for this buggy. Got all this in one deal
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: