Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cabrio door gap
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

My drivers door has the annoying habit of jumping open on twisty roads. I replaced the door striker and then I realised that the drivers door gap at the rear was to large and that the corresponding gap at the front was too small. I had a look in my factory manual but there is no mention of this problem ,just the unequal gap top to bottom at the back. My question is if I take of the door off is it normal to pack behind the hinges move the whole door assembly back and are the hinge screws long enough fro this to happen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Without pictures, hard to analyze... but is your top door gap parallel or slightly triangular? Does your bottom door line up with the quarter panel? You might have door opening/size issues from previous A pillar replacement.

But to your question, it is possible to cut a shim out of 18 gauge and place it behind your hinge against the A pillar to move the door back. Holes for the screws of course.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Thanks pbenn here are two photos of the door I also did some measurements of the door gap.. REAR TOP .280" REAR BOTTOM .260" FRONT TOP .080" FRONT BOTTOM .055" On the passengers side,"this is a RHD car" REAR TOP .175" REAR BOTTOM .160" FRONT TOP .135" FRONT BOTTOM .110"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

look under it - hows your support rails? Rusty? That's the common problem...
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

this car doesn't look likely to have rusty sill channels, plus I always thought if that were so on cabrios then the doors would open but not close - basically the rear gap would disappear - this car seems to have the opposite problem.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

If your rails are ok, pull the rear tires off and look at the rear body supports by the rear shock mounts...a good chance that the thick rubber washers are gone,and will tilt the rear quarter... and will give you excess gap at the top of the quarter where it meets the door. If you need pics, let me know . These are also referred to in the Bentley under door adjustments on convertible.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Meranda's a totally rust free car,admittedly there is a .020" difference in the door gap so possible should change the rear tower rubber but what I can't get is the difference between the front of door gap and the rear of door gap,compared with other side of the car?
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

I would shim behind the hinges. The current door gap is almost equal top and bottom so you just want to move the door back. This would be the easiest option and is common to do. Screws should be plenty long enough.

I assume your measurements are inches? Shims about .080" or .100" should work. You can also use two or three thinner shims to come up with the right thickness. This may be easier, maybe get a bunch of .030" shims and then you have some adjustment. Top and bottom does not need to have the same exact thickness shims.

There are many reasons this could be happening. One being the hinges could be slightly bent forward from the door flung open to far. This can be hard to see with the eye and hard to correct without damaging the paint. Again I would say just shim it.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

I spent many hours getting my doors , gaps and height correct. One thing we often forget is that these cars were all assembled by hand ....MANY years ago, and things “change” over time. I have 2 verts, with production dates about 6 months apart, and yes there are differences in the door gap measurements. Shimming the front hinges is definitely an option. The hinges could be bent ( only takes a little bit to make a BIG difference). The rear body mount washer also can make a huge difference. Take your time and make little incremental adjustments, also the lower triangular plastic (?) wedge adjustment. And then you have the thickness and quality of the door seal itself. And then the locking hardware condition and adjustment . At some point in previous history, the rails and heater channels may have been replaced ( and then maybe only on the passenger’s side) and measurements were off. Lots of variables, just work the problem one step at a time. You will get it right.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

MMW wrote:
the hinges could be slightly bent forward from the door flung open to far.

agreed, you can see it in the pic. the hinges are forward, there should not be that gap from the hinge to the door
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Hey.... can someone post a picture of what your hinges look like on passenger door so he has an idea for comparison? Hinges on my black 64 don’t have contrast in a pic so he can see the gaps....
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

If it's not raining tomorrow I will roll Meranda out and take some photos
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Meranda, I meant someone else here that has a door that has good gaps could post a pic for you so that you could see what their door hinges look like. That way you could see what the normal gaps around the front hinges should look like. If your hinges are indeed bent forward, you will see a difference in the relationship of the hinge, the opening in the door “cutout” , and where the hinge is positioned against the vertical seam to the front quarter panel . In your pic, it looks like this seam is bent a bit forward around both the upper and lower hinges.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Thanks Ashley1 I now get what you mean.But I did roll Meranda out of the shed and in the light of day and what you Samba guys have said I can now see the problem. The hinges on the drivers door have been bent and in the case of the bottom one it has bent the raised molding on the body ahead of the door. I will be going to my local metal supplier to get some shim material and moving my door backwards .100" I have added a photo of the hinge in close up and also a shot of the passenger door hinge line. Thanks to all who have helped me in this.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Verts do opposite of what you would think. The gap gets wider at top of pillar, front and back move away from each other. Door gaps in front are smaller than rear. I would suspect the tower and lower rubbers. I got my gaps correct and then used aluminum to make spacers instead of rubber. Not my pic but has measurements. Hammer and wood is your friend. Moves easy so dont swing hard.

meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

I think it's a bit of both, but I did do the towers some years ago,after I move the door I will revisit that area.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

For those reading this post I removed the drivers door today to insert,what I hoped was .100" shim between the hinge and the door jamb. Unfortunately the space where the hinge sits in the body only allowed me to be able to shim it to .080". Also when the door was removed I could see that the hinges seem to be bent,It's hard to see on the photos. Next I will have a go at the rear tower.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

Okay. Not the end of the world . One step at a time .🙏👍
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

You can open the area up a bit. Some do it so the paint doesnt get messed up. The front gap is alot thinner than the rear.
63RagDream4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cabrio door gap Reply with quote

will missing rear body mounts cause door gap?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: