Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Single Cab Syncro Project
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarrettWalden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: 1991 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

I brought over a 1991 SC Syncro from Europe this winter, and have began some mechanical and body work in preparation for an extended trip beginning with a surf focused voyage to Baja Mexico, and then north to Alaska. Here is some photos, and details of the project, engine rebuild, body work, and some questions regarding my Single Cab's history in Sweden. Any insight, or suggestions are welcomed, enjoy! It sure is a fun truck to call mine, rust and all!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am interested in fabricating a Tilt style canopy for the bed, I have reason to believe it was equipped with a headache rack and possible vindic, or german tilt at one point in its life. I am also curious as to others import story and details of european Syncro history. Mine wasn't beat up bad at all, had some crappy rust coverups and seams crammed with gunk likely requiring major bodywork surgery. I have the original aluminum diamond plate bed that was riveted on, I have since drilled out the rivets and filled the holes as to better seal the storage chest from water and remove aluminum contact from steel making my rust worse! Looking for ideas on new bed covering, I'd like to reuse the diamond plate, but unsure how. More photos of rust, engine, suspension, etc. to come. I have owned several syncros now and have finally found the one! Here we go...

Last edited by GarrettWalden on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

Awesome! Looks great, I love Syncro single cabs! Very Happy
Good luck with the project.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice looking single cab!

I think we have to be ready for a fair amount of “rust reality” when bringing these things over now (...at least south of the northern tip of Norway/Finland Very Happy ). I was discouraged to find the same as you - poorly treated rust remediation, but have been quite enjoying the process/learning experience of repairing it. Do try to stop it’s advance as much as possible - I spent a day blasting dirt and debris out of all the frame rails and such, musta dumped 10 lbs out of it. I let it throughly dry and sprayed waxoil back in as a first step.

Busman? How did your import go? 25% tax?

Looking forward to reading/seeing the progress!

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

Welcome to the club. That’s a nice looking truck. Can’t wipe the smile off of my face every time I drive mine. Looking forward to your updates.

Last edited by SteveMc on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

The Vindic top will have had a headache rack and two bolts in each corner of the bed for the brackets. Looks like a really clean truck! Mine wasn't too bad rust wise, but it's been repainted and had rust repair just behind both front wheel wells on the side.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

Excellent first post!
Welcome to the madness. Cool Looks to be a real nice Sinka.

As for the diamond plate, as long as the paint underneath is in good condition and any bare spots taken care of it should be fine. Maybe replace with screws (with sealant) instead of rivets to make removal in the future easier.
I had diamond plate on my Tristar Doka and everything underneath was dry. Just depends on condition. Mine was from Northern Sweden where they don't use salt on the roads.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
GarrettWalden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the interest and warm Syncro welcome! I have been enjoying seeing pictures of other SC Syncros and imports on the Samba. I have had the truck since December and I figure its as good a time as any to share it and meet others like it.

The truck was brought over with a private shipping/transport agent although I have heard of and kept up with Busman and his revolving syncro classifieds...what fun it must be to have access to Europe's inventory of parts and T3's alike.

I have been spending most of my free time inside the treasure chest armed with a grinder, scraper, flat head screwdriver and wire brushes etc. Some have mentioned similar experience finding hidden treasure behind old seam sealer crammed into deep crevasses, I also find great pleasure in removing the horrid scale from slowly eating my truck! The bed paint was not in terrible shape once I pulled the diamond plate off, I began investigating both sides of the seams on bed surface, and beneath despite not being able to reach some of the tight spot in the storage compartment I feel like I can not make matters worse by digging it out.

This is my first major body work endeavor, first car I ever put a grinder to and what a car it is to learn on! I spent a good bit of time inquiring about the process of driveway mediation at my local auto body shop that the Garage sends VW referrals to, and found myself in the right place! Several lovely Split window busses, a 1957 dove blue single cab (photos to come) etc. Armed with supplies and dozens of Dremel bits I began the process.

Drivers side storage chest corner: This was by far the worst bit I could reach, still lots left to do but I was able to grind the seams out enough to treat with SEM rust conditioner, have re-applied it since and am near ready to seal the seams back up.

Getting more and more comfortable with being able to stick a screwdriver through the trucks bed and cab wall!

Fun fun fun...

Given that Tom at Busware wont make T3 tilts...Are you listening?? I will likely have to seek out a custom option and convey the images and details to a fabricator. It would be great to re-use the holes in the corners where one was previously fitted to the truck. Any one who has done this? I've browsed the Doka threads and others who sought Tilts, hoping to find something for a single cab. In trading emails with Tom, and begging him to fabricate one for my truck (no avail) I hope a skilled canvas worker can interpret the photos and replicate one as close as possible to German OEM.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Single Cab Syncro Project Reply with quote

Very Kool !!
I love my '66 Single, and my '86 Doka, but would probably trade both for a syncro truck, just because they are so cool......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: