Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

hello everyone.. (even the haters)
so i just read a great tread about krylon rattle can touch ups, there was a great deal of info and i can't wait for my next project..
AS LONG AS SOMEONE FIGURES OUT A MATCH FOR DOVE BLUE...

i have been doing them for years, not to fake anyone out or anything like that but with the cost of nice paint jobs these days and the way most people think bad things happen under nice paint jobs and sometimes that old beater is not worth the price of a nice paint job, i really don't care that much as to how the old VW look but if i'm building from a rusty old shell there is no sense putting NOS parts or weather stripping over rusty body parts.. so i rattle can them.. here are a few of my projects...
this also stops people from complaining about my beat up old cars in front of my house..

i know everyone will ask.. i only use rustolem american accents with the satin finish. they cover twice as well as the leading brand.. i bug or bus takes about takes about 10 cans for a really nice covering..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I asked god for my first VW, I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bug and asked for forgiveness!

my "car guy 401k"
1963 kombi (now running and driving
1956 oval sad to see it go!
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
1964 super stock dodge factory light weight 426cu 425hp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ponyboy2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

Wow, some really good results there, I am impressed. Some a little too flat but still amazing jorb.
Redlines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

Looks like something even i could do! Got any pics of black?
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

i haven't done black since the 70's as it's too rat rodish and there are so many other cool color out there

I asked god for my first VW, I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bug and asked for forgiveness!

my "car guy 401k"
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

How well does this stuff hold up to the sun over time?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

wow these look awesome! i’d be super interested in knowing your process. i don’t have the money for a professional paint job and probably never will due to needing the money for more important things in life. currently hate the paint on my beetle at the moment and this seems somewhat doable. i’m sure won’t turn out as good as yours but my car isn’t worth the cost of a professional paint job.
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

trust me all i did was scuff up the rust on the body and masked off anything i didn't want paint on.. i was hoping the rust would bleed through of after i few years they still look great, i found it best to use the satin paint and most offer paint and primer combined but on some of the lighter colors i sprayed primer first to keep the color bright.. look for the brands the offer 2X coverage and go for it.. i'm sure you'll love it..

my "car guy 401k"
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

kombi kid wrote:
trust me all i did was scuff up the rust on the body and masked off anything i didn't want paint on.. i was hoping the rust would bleed through of after i few years they still look great, i found it best to use the satin paint and most offer paint and primer combined but on some of the lighter colors i sprayed primer first to keep the color bright.. look for the brands the offer 2X coverage and go for it.. i'm sure you'll love it..

Awesome! thanks for the reply. did you spray anything over the paint like a clear coat or do any sanding afterwards?
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

NOPE.. JUST SPRAYED IT AND LEFT IT ALONE..

my "car guy 401k"
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

Well, since some one else has offered their spray bombed paint job....

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
How well does this stuff hold up to the sun over time?

I haven't done this for a long time but when I used spray paint many years ago, it got chalky.
Spray paint may be 100x better now though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

Although this fender was painted out of a can, it is single stage paint that I purchased from a local mom and pop paint store in Downey, CA. I used 2k primer out of a spray can as well. I let it dry for a couple of weeks and then wet sanded and buffed it out. It cost about $20 a can so it can get pretty pricey if you do a whole car but I have no doubt it would turn out good.

kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

looks great!

my "car guy 401k"
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

kombi kid wrote:
h

i know everyone will ask.. i only use rustolem american accents with the satin finish. they cover twice as well as the leading brand.. i bug or bus takes about takes about 10 cans for a really nice covering..

[g]

[i

What is the name of the color of the red kombi and the red beetle with the white wheel centers ? Thanks
kombi kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

The camper is sweet tomato but has been discontinued.
The bug is called paprika!

my "car guy 401k"
1966 ghia coupe
1963 bug (sold at prado)
1968 porsche 912
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

The problem that has plagued me in the past when doing rattle can paint jobs on motorcycles is getting a bad spray nozzle. it's especially an problem when the nozzle can't be removed. You are going along just fine with the first can and then you get the second can and it sprays out a bunch of big drops or some other issue and kills the paint job. I did an Eddie Lawson Replica Kawasaki 550 once and that tank ended up in the trash several times. I pulled it back out and worked on it some more and eventually it looked beautiful. The last clear coat over the paint and stripes had a bad nozzle and it looked like hell. I sprayed on several coats and let it sit for a month or so and then wet sanded it and it looked absolutely beautiful. It would have been better to have bought a gun and good paint !!!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

2 large cans of Rustoleum Industrial safety yellow spray paint, plus some fire orange and royal blue swirled for the stripes. I find the industrial line is more resistant to fading.

brad
bad91teg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

they looked good . its cool to see the before and after
daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

Following
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: rattle can paint jobs? can it be true.. yes it is.. Reply with quote

This was also from a can! It was a BC/CC. I bought some good paint, Lesonal, and had it put in aerosol cans by a paint shop. The cans were tall and had a nice spray nozzle on them that you could rotate to change the spray fan out pattern.
The clear coat was an acrylic lacquer. It took a lot of wet sanding.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: