Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia purchase advice
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulsw62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

Hi,
New user, hope this is in the right area...looking to buy my first Ghia, I'm obsessed. Year, color don't matter. Would like as close to original interior as possible (not pimped up). Obviously good engine, close to no rust as possible, Budget @ $11k tops. What do you think of this ad/what should I ask ?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2194142

Thanks everyone!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba, I hope you achieve your ownership dream but there are a few things to study about Ghias before you show your dough. Here is a Buyers guide that covers the entry level knowledge concerning the pitfalls that be encountered. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7108497

One strategy is having your money ready but waiting for the right car to come along. It can be a waiting game but there always is a wide range of quality. Don't rush in.

This one is an example that also matches you price range.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2202506

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
paulsw62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas, great advice. Will try to reign in the enthusiasm over common sense. I did look over the Buyers Guide, lots of great stuff.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

I bought mine a year ago almost to the day. Lots of work has been done. All I can say is that the $6,500 car I bought, now has about $6,000 of work into it. I doubt I could get $12,500 for it. Close, maybe.

You pay for the car on the front end or the back end. How much blood, sweat, and tears is up to you.

Thankfully, If you opt for doing some work, this site is an amazing resource to assist you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

Also, this looks a lot like my money pit. Look under the carpet everywhere you can. New interiors and carpets are a great way to cover up rusty areas. Specifically the pans and under the rear seat. Fold the rear seat down and look under the luggage compartment floor where it meets the backseat. Mine was a mess there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
I bought mine a year ago almost to the day. Lots of work has been done. All I can say is that the $6,500 car I bought, now has about $6,000 of work into it. I doubt I could get $12,500 for it. Close, maybe.

You pay for the car on the front end or the back end. How much blood, sweat, and tears is up to you.

Thankfully, If you opt for doing some work, this site is an amazing resource to assist you.

The phrase "Pay me now, or pay up later" was never more true than when it is used in reference to purchasing a Karmann Ghia. Smile

If you intend to perform any necessary mechanical and/or body work by yourself and you either have the necessary skills or are capable of picking them up, then you'll have no problem quickly locating a suitable project Ghia.
Then if you value your labor at $0/hour, when it's all said and done your total investment will probably stay within your stated budget.

However if you will need to hire out any necessary mechanical and/or body work, then you'd be wise to take all the time necessary to locate a Ghia with as solid a body as you can reasonably expect to find some 40+ years after the newest one came off the production line.

That in itself presents yet another challenge, as when you look at Ghias that have already been "restored" and wear a fresh coat of paint you never really know what sins lurk below unless there are lots of photos documenting exactly what was repaired and just how well that work was performed.

Mind you, I'm not trying to discourage you and squash your dream by any means.
I'm just trying to steer you away from the many potential pitfalls that await the uneducated and uninitiated Karmann Ghia buyer. Smile

Lastly, I would be remiss to not at least draw your attention to the ad placed by long time Samba Ghia Forum member iowegian listing his beautiful 1961 Karmann Ghia for sale ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208598

Chuck is as honest as the day is long, and if his Ghia is not a good fit for you and your skill level then he won't hesitate to tell you so.

I wish you the best of luck with your hunt, and remind you to never hesitate to call upon the Samba Ghia Forum's collective knowledge and ask for their informed opinion.
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
hazmatty3614 wrote:

The phrase "Pay me now, or pay up later" was never more true than when it is used in reference to purchasing a Karmann Ghia. Smile

If you intend to perform any necessary mechanical and/or body work by yourself and you either have the necessary skills or are capable of picking them up, then you'll have no problem quickly locating a suitable project Ghia.
Then if you value your labor at $0/hour, when it's all said and done your total investment will probably stay within your stated budget.

However if you will need to hire out any necessary mechanical and/or body work, then you'd be wise to take all the time necessary to locate a Ghia with as solid a body as you can reasonably expect to find some 40+ years after the newest one came off the production line.

That in itself presents yet another challenge, as when you look at Ghias that have already been "restored" and wear a fresh coat of paint you never really know what sins lurk below unless there are lots of photos documenting exactly what was repaired and just how well that work was performed.

Mind you, I'm not trying to discourage you and squash your dream by any means.
I'm just trying to steer you away from the many potential pitfalls that await the uneducated and uninitiated Karmann Ghia buyer. Smile

Lastly, I would be remiss to not at least draw your attention to the ad placed by long time Samba Ghia Forum member iowegian listing his beautiful 1961 Karmann Ghia for sale ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208598

Chuck is as honest as the day is long, and if his Ghia is not a good fit for you and your skill level then he won't hesitate to tell you so.

I wish you the best of luck with your hunt, and remind you to never hesitate to call upon the Samba Ghia Forum's collective knowledge and ask for their informed opinion.

This is all very good advice, especially the availability of that '61 coupe which I very much want even though I already have a nice '69 Ghia.
paulsw62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all your insights folks! I originally was going to get a '71-'76 Porsche 914, but after reading about all the problems with injection or something, and that Porsche parts are so expensive, it brought me to the Ghia. But now Ghia's are harder to find in good condition. I don't suspect that spending more ($19k+?) would buy me less problems ??

Last edited by paulsw62 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia purchase advice Reply with quote

I own a 914-6 and a '66 Karmann Ghia. The /6 is fun and really fast, but the KG is cooler in an indescribable way.

I like this car for the money, but I'd have to inspect it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2191620

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: