Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave6161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

I have a really bad vibration on my front drivers side ony when i brake soft. This is a new disc brake kit and the old disc brake kit did the same thing. The pads are only touching on the tops of the pads.

Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

Do you mean a pulsation thru the pedal and steering wheel . Did you install a new brake rotor .
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

If it's a kit with a bolt on adapter for the caliper, make sure the adapter bracket is fully parallel to the disk. One of mine was not parallel and it droned something horrible under slight application.

You say the pads are only touching at the top, is that on one side or both sides? Is one side touching at the top and one at the bottom?

brad
dave6161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

They were both brand new kits,so yes the rotors were new. you can feel it in the pedal & steering wheel because the vibration is soooo strong. Also when i turn and brake at the same time the pads grap on the drivers side and pull to the left

Its just the drivers side that the pads wear just on top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave6161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its only happening on the drivers side.. And keep in mind, This is my second disc brake kit and its only on the drivers side. The bottom of the pads ae still brand new and havent touched the rotor
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

Same brand both kits? May be a manufacturer fault, try switching the calliper to the other side, otherwise check out the spindle, mount etc for straightness

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
mallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

Are these by chance the Empi type kits with the stamped steel caliper brackets?
Mine vibrated so loudly, you could have heard it a few blocks away!
It ended up cracking the pad in half before I figured out where the hell the loud noise was coming from.
Chamfering the pads may solve the problem.
Did you use a "disc brake quiet" type product?
I had to tweak my brackets, and chamfer the pads to solve this.
In hindsight I should have spent more for the forged brackets.

'64 Resto Custom Bug - Daily Driver
'57 Sunroof Bug - Endless Project

Living beneath the Sagebrush Canopy
dave6161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

YES!! The noise is crazy loud!

I have the Empi zero off set disc brakes and no i didn't use any brake quieter should i have??

how did you chamfer the pads, with a grinder?
mallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

Yes, try the quieting compound.
I chamfered mine with a bench grinder.

'64 Resto Custom Bug - Daily Driver
'57 Sunroof Bug - Endless Project

Living beneath the Sagebrush Canopy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake pads making a very loud vibration Reply with quote

If the pad is not sitting flat against the disk there is a problem. Forget the magic paste and figure out the problem.

You can swap parts from the good side to the bad side to try and find the problem. Maybe a bent bracket? Maybe the mounting point on the spindle is not machined correctly?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: