Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What RPM do you cruise at?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

I desperately need to re-gear

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

No my van has not been regeared it is the stock transmission out of air cooled van witch is geared higher than a WXB transmission or the automatic transmission. My tires are also a inch and a half taller than stock. I would actually like the gears a little lower. The WXB transmission would be about right. My van was a diesel to begin with and it’s transmission was geared way to low. There are people on here with rpm versus gearing and tire size calculators. But once the job is done I forget those details. When possible I try to run parts I have and my parts collection is all diesel and air cooled stuff. I think you can change the ring gear to regear the automatic transmission but I have never played that game. Someone her will probably chime in with how the automatic works after you regear it. Hoodrat just finished a inline 4 conversation with a automatic transmission and could give you his numbers if he reads this. I think we might have talked about the rpm versus speed on his build thread. Around town my gearing work great. On the highway it will go faster than I want to drive a brick. I pay some on the hills where I will go into third gear and climb the hills at 60-65 at about 3500 rpm. I hope this is not to much information. John
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
My van has a air cooled transmission and a Tiico engine 215/65-15 tires. I am running 3200rpm at 72 or 73 mph. I don’t get 4000 rpm until I am over 80. The vans sweet spot is still 60-65 it’s quite and around 2500 rpm. If I get to a hill I will have to down shift but I can run the van up to 70 in third before I hit 4000 rpm.

Really ! Wow, on a DX tranny ? Is it modded at all ?

I run the stock Wasser 1990 4 speed on my TiiCo with 215/65/16 on CLK's and at around 65-70 MPH ( 120 kph ) I sing around 4k to 4200.

Normally, I run around 115 kph and 3800.

I am so far to want to complete yet another conversion of 1.8T and flipped tranny to get those 5 hears but I'm a way away's. Mostly, I'm getting kind of tired of wrenching a complete engine conversion after doing this one only a couple years ago ... only 16k miles on the whole new system at the moment ...
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

With our 1.6TD JX, 215/70 R16 tyres and a 5.43 final ratio, we're generally cruising at 62mph at 2800rpm.
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

2.1 Automatic - typically cruise at 3800-4200 RPM, pending slope & momentum.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

3300 rpms at around 65mph. 60-65 is our happy place cruising speed.

EJ25 with stock gears and LT235/75R15 tires.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Engine alternatives give more power but air drag is drag whatever is trying to move the van.

Imagine standing in the bed of a pick up truck holding a 4x8 sheet of plywood in front of you. How fast would you like to go?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Full stock 2.1 '87, RPMs depend on the day, trip, terrain. If it's a cool day, I can run on the freeway at 4300 - 4400 near 75 to 80 mph. I watch the temp, I've got a digital readout in addition to the stock needle. I keep my eyes on the digital unit and don't push it above 210F. So, if it's a warm day, or otherwise making more heat, like in terrain or altitude, I abide. Complications of course come with use of A/C, and how I am loaded.

Otherwise, most of my miles are on 2 lane roads, at 55 mph, or close, and I don't recall ever having heat be an issue.

I didn't have any trouble running across South Dakota at 84 mph on a 45F night. Engine temp stayed low enough, and the engine wasn't much louder than at 70. That was a bit fast to push her tho, I'd not recommend it.

One thing that I do know, however, is that I CAN get near 20 miles per gallon of gas if I go slow, like 50. Across South Dakota, it was under 15.

-bobby
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Somewhere around 4,150 rpm, 70 mph. Stock 91, 2.1 automatic. Very happy at that speed. Faster than that feels like I'm pushing it. Although it costs about 1.5 mpg vs. 60-65 mph and 3,500 -3,700 rpm.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Full stock 2.1 '87, RPMs depend on the day, trip, terrain. If it's a cool day, I can run on the freeway at 4300 - 4400 near 75 to 80 mph. I watch the temp, I've got a digital readout in addition to the stock needle. I keep my eyes on the digital unit and don't push it above 210F. So, if it's a warm day, or otherwise making more heat, like in terrain or altitude, I abide. Complications of course come with use of A/C, and how I am loaded.

Otherwise, most of my miles are on 2 lane roads, at 55 mph, or close, and I don't recall ever having heat be an issue.

I didn't have any trouble running across South Dakota at 84 mph on a 45F night. Engine temp stayed low enough, and the engine wasn't much louder than at 70. That was a bit fast to push her tho, I'd not recommend it.

One thing that I do know, however, is that I CAN get near 20 miles per gallon of gas if I go slow, like 50. Across South Dakota, it was under 15.

-bobby

This is exactly what I have seen with my '87 powered by a GW 2.2.

I recall the factoid that when your 4-speed trans is in fourth gear with factory gears your engine is spinning 1000rpm for every 18mph. My tires are about 4-5% oversize (215/65-16). At the 5% figure a speed of 72mph should yield engine speed of 3800. Doing the math a little differently, my ground speed is about 75mph at 4000rpm. I have an analog clock instead of a tachometer.

I can run 900-1000 miles in a day from SE Wisconsin headed west. I cruise between 70-80mph, with the average speed getting higher the further west I get. The extra few mph nets me an extra hour or two at the end of the day. The fuel economy takes a huge hit, though. Depending on ground speed and wind speed and direction I get anywhere from 21mpg at 35-45mph to 15mpg at 75-80mph with a headwind.

I haven't seen too much of an effect from higher ambient temps to my coolant temp on flat-ish ground. I've been through Montana on 90/94 many times with temps ranging from 25 degrees to 105 degrees. It can get damn hot between Miles city and Billings.

Mountain passes are a different story. I usually will lug the engine down in fourth gear until my speed drops to 55-60mph then drop to third. I find that if I lug it down below that, my temperature spikes rapidly and oil pressure drops inversely. I will run the speed up to 60-65 in third with no real worries. After cresting the pass the coolant temp and oil pressure quickly return to normal on the upcoming descent.

For reference, westbound on 90 over the Bozeman Pass I can usually clear the pass in fourth gear with my speed only dropping to about 60mph. Only once or twice I've had to downshift due to headwind or traffic. Teton Pass on Hwy 22 is a much different story. I'm in second gear, there. Wink

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Yes my transmission is just a stock DK that came out of a 82 air cooled van. The diesel transmission has a final drive of 5.43. The 091/1 is 4.83 and the air cooled 4.57 according to my Bentley. The gears in side are similar between the three transmission. When I was running a 1.8 GTI engine I ran 23 inch tall tires to get the rpm up. When I went to the Tiico engine adout a year ago I wanted tires with the proper load rating or I would probably still have the smaller tires. First gear is a little higher than I would like it to be. But it’s together and works for my needs and I don’t think it will change any time soon. I have the late model shifter in my van slightly modified in the back so if needed To I can just slide in a late model transmission. I was going to custom build a five speed transmission but when I disassembled my five speed it was going to need a lot more work than I was willing to do. Good luck. John
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Top gear 3100 at 67MPH, turbodiesel purrs like a kitten.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Yes my transmission is just a stock DK that came out of a 82 air cooled van. The diesel transmission has a final drive of 5.43. The 091/1 is 4.83 and the air cooled 4.57 according to my Bentley. I have the late model shifter in my van slightly modified in the back so if needed To I can just slide in a late model transmission. Good luck. John

Do you have any pics of the modified shifting mechanism? Very interested as I am running a 4.57 but plan to rebuild and upgrade a 091/1 with the 4.86.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

The shifter mod is no big deal really. I installed the complete late model shifter in my van in preparation for a five speed transmission. When I looked in side the five speed transmission and did not like it. So I reinstalled my old transmission. Then I just cut the end off the new shifter rod and welded on the end off the old shifter rod. If I had a early shift rods I would change both shifter rods to the late stile rods like I did if I was installing a WXB transmission. John
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
2.1 Automatic - typically cruise at 3800-4200 RPM, pending slope & momentum.

Me too!!

Craig
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

There is obviously a big diffference in desired rpm between gas and diesel power....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

I drove my Mom's crappy little Mazda to a wedding today, and it was loafing on the freeway at 2000rpms while going 70mph. I want that kind of rpms in my diesel and gasser vehicles. I don't want to listen to racket droning on relentlessly. The best compromise we seem to be able to come up with in these vans is 3k @ 70mph, so that's the goal...in either a diesel or gasser powerplant.

y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Your obsession with low revs is remarkable. You sound like a Toyota owner. Leave the cool cars and motorcycles to folks who understand.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

[eyeroll]

I've driven VW vans up and down the entire west coast, from Canada down to Guatemala. I rode a BMW R80/7 from the PNW to Louisiana. I know a thing or two about rpms and freeway speeds. I get that you can endure listening to all that racket for hours upon end, but I choose not to suffer such nonsense at this stage in my life.

Since most of you are driving offbrand ricer engines, for shits n' giggles, try driving your donor vehicle for several hours on the freeway at 75mph, but don't shift into fifth. How comfortable is that? How badly do you want to shift into fifth? I'm guessing none of you would opt not to shift it into fifth...because it's uncomfortably noisy and awkward. That's how it feels when I drive a stock gear ratio Vanagon on the freeways here, where the speed limit is 70mph

y u rune klassik?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist, my 4h gear is about the same as 4th gear in my 2000 Jetta. When I was crunching numbers in an interactive Excel spreadsheet I noticed they would be about the same. So, one day I hit the highway and never shifted into 5th gear to see what it was like. Even in the nicely insulated Jetta with tuned rubber engine mounts, the annoying drone/noise was obvious at 70 MPH.

So, going into my project, I knew slowing down the engine RPMs was going to be #1 due to noise and obviously for improved fuel economy and less wear. And, I knew sound deadening would be a must.

In my conversion Thread at the TDI club, transmission rebuild and upgrade was among the first hands-on things I did.

I agree with you, somewhere below 3000 RPMs at 70 MPH is where sights should be set for anyone doing a TDI conversion. The numbers in the Excel spreadsheet were darn close to real world on the road numbers. The only difference there was no way to apply decibels to the spreadsheet... Very Happy

My guess is that a Subie conversion would benefit from a bit taller gears/tires as well...... probably wouldn't want to be below 3300 at 70 MPH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: