Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 engine Misfire
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Follett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: T4 engine Misfire Reply with quote

Hello again Ray. Hopefully these last few questions will be the last before the engine goes back together.
I did plug the air pump fittings in the heads with 10mm bolts and locktite. Thanks. I have a set of valve springs to replace and et rid of the ones that are pitted. Will also lap the valves although they look ok.
One of your older posts suggested removing the oil pump to see if there are any markings in the camshaft. There are not
I have locacaed a few vendors who carry 96mm P&L which should fit my 66mm stroke and heads that the existing 93mm cylinders fit into. The vendor listing states they will fit a 914 or Type 4 case and no machining required if we have 1.8 type heads. Again, my case is from a 73-73 Type 2. Any advice on this. I think you did say if I went 96's I would have to replace the crank and heads. Not sure why.
Final question: One of your reply's suggested using a distributor other than the 009 type I have. I do not have a vacuum port with the dual Webers. If I shop a few used used show vendors or on line could you suggest a few part numbers. I know folks say this is from a Type 4 or something else but I have no Idea what to look for.
Thanks again and any P&L, distributor advice is appreciated.
Type 2- '67 Dual Cab
'?? Vanagon
412 wagen
Dasher wagen
Jetta-GLI, VR6, Golf
TR2,TR3, Austin Healy 3000, MGTD, Porsche Speedster & 3 Model A Fords. Almost forgot-Corvair & Nash Mertopolitan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: T4 engine Misfire Reply with quote

David Follett wrote:
Hello again Ray. Hopefully these last few questions will be the last before the engine goes back together.
I did plug the air pump fittings in the heads with 10mm bolts and locktite. Thanks. I have a set of valve springs to replace and et rid of the ones that are pitted. Will also lap the valves although they look ok.
One of your older posts suggested removing the oil pump to see if there are any markings in the camshaft. There are not
I have locacaed a few vendors who carry 96mm P&L which should fit my 66mm stroke and heads that the existing 93mm cylinders fit into. The vendor listing states they will fit a 914 or Type 4 case and no machining required if we have 1.8 type heads. Again, my case is from a 73-73 Type 2. Any advice on this. I think you did say if I went 96's I would have to replace the crank and heads. Not sure why.
Final question: One of your reply's suggested using a distributor other than the 009 type I have. I do not have a vacuum port with the dual Webers. If I shop a few used used show vendors or on line could you suggest a few part numbers. I know folks say this is from a Type 4 or something else but I have no Idea what to look for.
Thanks again and any P&L, distributor advice is appreciated.

I dont have a 96mm piston and cylinder in front of me.....but you are trying to build a 2.0L right?
Nothing says you CANT use the 96's.....but.....if they fit the same head register as a 94mm....then that means they have 2mm thinner walls (not great for longevity).....and.....you need to check the distance of the wrist pin from the crown on the 96mm pistons. If its different than the 90 and 93mm pistons that were used with 66mm stroke....then you cannot easily use the 96mm pistons without serious shim work between pistons and case to set deck height.

The advance curve on the 009 is the problem. It is very poor for the operating characteristics of the type 4 engine. You should easily be able to find a distributor from a 2.0 bus.....or contact Glenn Ring and ask him what other Bosch distributors are close. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Follett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: T4 engine Misfire Reply with quote

Thank you again Ray. I'll let you know which way we go but may not be for several months.
Type 2- '67 Dual Cab
'?? Vanagon
412 wagen
Dasher wagen
Jetta-GLI, VR6, Golf
TR2,TR3, Austin Healy 3000, MGTD, Porsche Speedster & 3 Model A Fords. Almost forgot-Corvair & Nash Mertopolitan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: