Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What RPM do you cruise at?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

4500-5000

All day long on a stock WBX. This engine thrives with the lower cylinder pressures of high rpm operation.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

With my gearing 3200RPM = 68MPH The engine's plenty quiet this way, so there's just the wind noise to deal with.

Its mechanically just as quiet at 75MPH but the wind noise gets to be oppressive unless we're running before the wind. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
dougass wrote:
2.1 Automatic - typically cruise at 3800-4200 RPM, pending slope & momentum.

Me too!!

Me three.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
With my gearing 3200RPM = 68MPH The engine's plenty quiet this way, so there's just the wind noise to deal with.

Its mechanically just as quiet at 75MPH but the wind noise gets to be oppressive unless we're running before the wind. Wink

Speaking of wind noise, does anyone have tips/tricks to lower the wind noise when cruising at +60mph? After changing the gearbox ratios to suit the TDI upgrade and sounddeading the van, wind noise starts to be the problem Laughing
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Vilas69 wrote:
Speaking of wind noise, does anyone have tips/tricks to lower the wind noise when cruising at +60mph? After changing the gearbox ratios to suit the TDI upgrade and sounddeading the van, wind noise starts to be the problem Laughing

I just went through sound proofing, it took a load of road noise out of the van wind noise is still present from behind the dash and windshield, etc. I am very happy with the results - everything from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

-Trunk Acoustic mat covers over the engine
-CLD+CCF+MLV on the floor and doors. Added reflectix on the hump where the floor gets hot, significant reduction in temperature. I didnt take out the dash - when the day comes that I do, I will load it up in there as well.

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

4000 @ 70 mph

avg 22 mpg

205/65/15
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Vanistan fresh air control kit eliminates a huge amount of wind noise at freeway speeds.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

In my Syncro tintop with 2.5 Subie engine, I run about 71mph @ 4,000 (stock .85 4th gear with stock 25" tires). Because I run up the mountain all the time, I wouldn't want taller gearing in this vehicle.

In my heavier Syncro Westy with SVX engine, I've been running too tall a 4th gear (.78) for my 27" tires, and intend to drop the ratio down to .837, giving me a 70mph cruising rpm of 3,500.

Straying a bit from the thread ..

Here is the result of someone (not me) loaning their SVX van to an unsympathetic driver who lugged 4th gear for just a couple thousand miles:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1805062.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_brinelling

I suspect this to be a common result for Tdi (or 6 cylinder) powered vehicles lugged for long distances at too low an rpm. (I'm doing 3 things to combat this issue besides advising not to go too tall on gearing, but that's for another thread.)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

gears wrote:

Here is the result of someone (not me) loaning their SVX van to an unsympathetic driver who lugged 4th gear for just a couple thousand miles:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1805062.jpg

What is that photo of?

Do you have a link to the Thread where this was discussed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What RPM do you cruise at? Reply with quote

Sorry .. that's the bore of 4th gear, where the individual bearing needles have pounded their imprint into the gear material. It's been discussed before, but I don't have an immediate link ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: