Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?)
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

My Ghia (1641 with small Webers) has been leaking gas (petrol) on the left side as the first 3 photos show. Now, after a 600 kilometre road trip, the right hand side has also started leaking. As per photo 4. It seems to me that the problem is the gasket between the carb and the manifold. Or does it look like something else (worse)?

Is the remedy as simple as replacing the gaskets? Ever the optimist, yours truly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Photo 4:

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

Kind of looks to me like the throttle arm shaft is leaking around the bushing?
Maybe try and spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid around the area and see if there might be an air leak
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

Agree, it looks like it originates higher than carb gasket, its at the throttle bushing based on last pic. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

Thank you, Fes and Darrel. Is the repair then as simple as replacing the gaskets?

I have a set of Kadrons as well - it says Brosal and Solex on the bodies - that I could install instead. (Solex H40/44 EIS - I was told they were Kadrons and the air cleaners are Kadrons)

As Darrel has said before: The resto of these cars is never complete.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

I wish Chris. Its a bit more involved. I dont know if that carb has a plastic, brass...or what for bushing. You can do some searching for throttle bushing repair or something similar. What may end up being the simple repair is to remove carbs. Take to local machine shop. Let them redrill and size a bushing for you. There are other options but throttle shaft bushings isn't really a good DIY easy fix.
Old cars...drive, enjoy, break, repair, repeat. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

There are a few threads on the Performance forums here on the Samba about Throttle shaft re-bushing..just type in "bushing leak" in the search..are these Weber ICTs you have? Unfortunately,the Samba member who specialized in this is long out of the business,but I'm sure there's others...In your neck of the woods?I doubt it
Before you do anything drastic,check the shafts for excessive lateral play,and check for vacuum leaks while running.
If it is indeed the throttle shaft(s) bushing and washers that are leaking,this could be also from too much fuel pressure,sticking needle valves..usually they suck air when they are worn,leaking fuel is something more underlying..what fuel pump are you running?
Could be wrong
Good luck
-Matt
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. I am going to have to do some checking. (My ignorance is currently matched by my lack of enthusiasm to tackle this problem.) I'l lstart by checking precisely what Webers I have on the car and then what fuel pump I have. I have a vague recollection of the fuel pump being replaced and absolutely no memory of the leaking prior to that.

So, by a process of elimination, I think the fuel pump may be the problem. (Too high pressure for the carbs?)

Chris M
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas (fuel) leaking (between carbs and manifold?) Reply with quote

Fuel pressure is a good place to start..you definitely don't want more than 3psi..I have installed "best that money can buy" aftermarket fuel pumps that were through the roof..one was almost 5psi and another was off the scale (my tester only goes to 5)
You can rig up an inline tester pretty easily.. just be sure to get a gauge that has a low PSI reading..the ones that go higher aren't accurate enough for the 1.5+pressure that most stock VW carbs like

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: