Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 vanagon overheating
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

This clearly not a solution to rely upon. If you lend the vehicle ( Rolling Eyes ) to anyone, they run the risk of cooking the engine?
You need to keep on the automated fan option. This thing with the switches is risky business.
Have you tested the thermo switch using a multimeter?
Have you moved through the system finally ending up at the fan?

Seems as though it would require more work to set up a switch than strategically testing the entire radiator cooling design. Isnt there a relay involved? Ive heard those are close to bulletproof but maybe not.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

Burr85 wrote:
But if I sit idle for a long time it will rise to the overheat blinking light. So I tapped into the wires and added a switch inside the van to manually turn the fan on low or high . Here’s the odd thing if I am at 3/4 on the gauge and hit the switch and immediately flip the switch to the off position the fan will come on high no matter if I switch to high or low and will continue to stay on and turn off by it self . Never low speed and I have to switch it to start it hmmm.

Are you saying the first an doesn't turn on automatically and you need to start it with your manual switch? It sounds like you diagnosed a bad fan switch and possibly resistor. Or I'm missing something.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Burr85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

My worry is that the fans never come on by them selves . And my gauge is right at the top with red light blinking . At this point I used a laser gun to see the temp and at the right side top of the radiator above the thermoswitch it is at 199-200 Fahrenheit and at the thermoswitch is is at 150-175 and I worry about risking an overheat or head gasket.
Burr85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

So far I have replaced the thermoswitch with a 185-193 degree one and a new resistor as it was bad when I tested it. Now if I jump the terminate at the thermoswitch all speeds work. But now no fan speed will come on by itself well besides when I turn on the a/c. So I tapped into the wires at the plug of the thermoswitch and hooked up a manual switch in the van so I can turn on low or high speed manually. Witch works with low or high. But when the gauge gets to 3/4-7/8 I have to turn the manual switch on then immediately off and the fan will stay on until it doesn’t need it and turns off by itself. And when I turn the switch on then off immediately I usally switch low speed but the van does highspeed until it turns off by it self . And I have done the click test and power and resistance test to both low speed and high speed relays I’m just confused why doesn’t it kick on by it self and never a low speed even though it works while jumping it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

Burr85 wrote:
and at the thermoswitch is is at 150-175 and I worry about risking an overheat or head gasket.

Depending on the switch you have that is not hot enough to turn the fan on, which is why I choose to run the low temperature -75 (169°F) switch. Depending on the year, the stock switch will not turn the fan on until 192° or hotter

Search for 25195948175 or 32195948175
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

Do you have a blockage in the rad?
with the top at 199 and the bottom at 170 I think there is a problem. Im going to look back at the route.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14602120@N03/3114668260/

So given this route shouldnt your radiator be hot near the thermo and cooler elsewhere? Are your hoses routed correctly?

The temps sound correct but not for the locations you describe.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Burr85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

I doubt it I just replaced the radiator as the old one was clogged. Now the cooling system is all new besides the exspansion tank. Maybe because it has SS hoses? I am going to try the lower temp switch
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

Sure you have the two radiator hoses on correctly? If switched you could have an airlock in the radiator that would be hard to eliminate.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

I would make sure there is zero air in the radiator and make sure the radiator is getting warm at the bottom way before it gets just as warm at the top.

I'd replace the temp switch with a new Behr or Wahler stock one for 2.1 vans. The current switch sounds like it isn't working right.

Why is the fan apparently running via the temp switch but only after you first start it manually? Odd behavior. If the switch is hot enough for high speed it should have first come on low speed. Once high speed cools things enough the fan switch should switch to low speed until even that isn't needed. Hope you figure it out.

Mark

Burr85 wrote:
I doubt it I just replaced the radiator as the old one was clogged. Now the cooling system is all new besides the exspansion tank. Maybe because it has SS hoses? I am going to try the lower temp switch
Burr85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 vanagon overheating Reply with quote

Thank you everyone I have got the westy cooling as it should fans come on and off by them selves. Installing the new thermoswitch Wildthings suggested worked like a charm and radiator heats up bottom to top and all is great . Thanks everyone now my family can enjoy without that worry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: