Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

I hope someone could help me . I need advise on my options. I just brought a 1974 super beetle project. The PO removed the fuel injection and converted it to carb. I do not have any of the fuel injection parts. The PO states probably best to put in an new carb engine with a mechanical fuel pump. I am in the process of search for one , but I would like to work on the current engine to make it a driving project. The PO owner had a issue with the electric fuel pump which caused a fire in the engine bay. The pump was mounted on the fan shroud and the fitting came out which lead to the issue. The PO w as able to start and drive the car with a makeshift gravity feed from gas container directly into carb. I wanted to give alittle background info.

any suggestions on the best electric fuel pump / regulator to purchase. More importantly where is the best place to mount the pump/ regulator. Also is it possible to run dual carbs with this set up ( I have the laying around). I appreciate any help you can give me.
Zar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

Just a heads up. 74 Super Beetle never came with FI. First year for FI in bug was 75.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

Some pics of your engine compartment would be helpful. How bad was the engine fire? Normally they quickly consume all the rubber and plastic in the engine compartment. Has the PO done some work to fix the damage or just hacked together enough hoses and wires to get it running again so he could sell it to you?

At a minimum you will need to replace all the engine wiring, splicing into what is left from the original harness. You might be able to build (or scrounge from the recycle yard) a harness just from the left rear seat to the engine.

You will need to inspect the wiring. Fire will quickly melt away the wire insulation and short the wiring. This leads to the wires in the harness melting even outside the engine compartment. Two of the main wires that run into the engine compartment are NOT FUSED from the factory so when they short to ground they overheat and melt the entire length of insulation. These two wires are the black #15 wire that runs to the ignition coil (+) and the heavy gauge red #D+ (generator) or B+ (alternator) wire. Check for this.

If the fire damage is not too bad you may be able to run new fuel hoses and place a new fuel pump up under the front fuel tank. It will take a little bit of wiring but will prevent the same sort of problem from happening again. I would recommend adding a cutoff circuit to kill the fuel pump if the engine stops. You can usually do this by tapping into the oil pressure switch lamp (OIL) wire (green/red or blue/green).

As far as whether you engine is a FI one or not, look at your engine case near the base of the distributor. The later FI cases did not have an opening to support the mechanical fuel pump. Here is an earlier case w/ fuel pump opening.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a later FI case, angled hole for distributor but no opening or studs to mount a mechanical fuel pump. A clear sign this case was made for FI which must have a high pressure electric pump:

I bring this up because the original '74 case should have been a carburated one and he may have just capped off the fuel pump mount.
Thought he could easily have replaced the '74 engine with a later FI engine and converted that to carb. Knowing which case you have will help with your options.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
DE Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

the title says 1974 but the door tag say 1973....here is picture of the engine.. looks like the PO put in a converted f/I in the car
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

Yep, looks like an AJ case.

Get yourself one of these: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3193.htm (shop around, your FLAPS likely has them too, prices vary as well) and mount it on the front bulkhead under the tank (other side of metal where the passengers feet rest). You'll also need a pump control relay that senses the signal from the distributor to power it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

DE Type 3 wrote:
the title says 1974 but the door tag say 1973...

Beetle model years are not the same as calendar years. The 1974 model year started with cars produced from 1 Aug 1973 and continued thru 31 July 1974. Your door sticker will show the date the car rolled off the factory floor... the 3rd digit of the VIN will confirm the model year. If your Beetle rolled off the factory floor between Aug-Dec of 1973 it was a 1974 model year.

You can see this here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
You will notice that Beetles that left in July 1973 started with VIN "xx3" while in the next month the Beetles had a VIN of "xx4".

TIP: The VIN on the registration paperwork should match:
    The VIN on the dash;
    The VIN on the door frame sticker; and
    The VIN stamped into the center tunnel below the rear seat.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 F/I converted to Carb fuel pump /regulator question Reply with quote

This guy will work too.

https://www.amazon.com/Facet-FEP42SV-Electric-Clam...+fuel+pump

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: