Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing Flo
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Hi guys - I've been using the forum a while, waiting for the right deal to come along. I think that time is now, or at least I hope it is cause I'm invested now!! I had a sand rail ~20 years or so ago (I better be careful, I'm dating myself here..), but I've forgotten a ton and am probably not as mechanical as I'd like to think I am anyways. So, I'm hoping you guys can help me as I learn on this one. I'm calling her Flo (every good car has to have a name right?), because I picked her up as the hurricane was moving into the upstate of SC where I live. Truth be told, it was only light rain on the very edge of the storm (we were super lucky), but I still think it makes for a good name Smile

According to the previous owner, the motor ran if he fed the carb gas manually, so he thought the issue was the fuel pump. But, it's been sitting in the elements and not covered very well for the last year (it had some floormats covering the carb Sad ). It's missing a distributor, lots of wiring, fule lines, etc.

So, I know for sure it's nowhere close to running or driving. No brakes, no seats, no front shocks, tires are shot, etc. However, I do want to know if the engine and transmission are going to be ok for some local trails, until I can invest more time and money years down the road. So, I'm trying to figure out what it takes to get it running. I'm not good with carbs, and assume this one needs to be replaced. If you think it's salvageable, I'd love to hear your ideas. I'm concerned with all the gunk and debris where the distributor should be. Can I just vacuum that crap out, or are there special considerations to be had? I assume I should just go with an electric fuel pump? From searching this site, I believe the engine is a type 1 engine, 1600 dp - please keep me honest. I get the difference between IRS and Swingaxle for the trans, looks like I have the swing - type 1 from a bug maybe? I'll try to get a better shot of the transmission number later.

More to come - but I thought I'd introduce myself and Flo Smile. I'll be searching the forums a bunch, as I know much of this has probably been discussed before, and I've ordered a couple of the recommended books. I also subscribed to EZGZ's youtube channel.

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm really looking forward to learning more in the next few months/years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Start pulling that engine apart now, before you try to turn it over. It looks a lot like an engine I got for cheap off of my brother. It sat in the "rain" (we live in the desert) for a couple years. The piston rings had rusted to the cylinders and the whole rotating assembly had rust all over it. I was able to save and re use some of the parts but I strongly believe that is because I never even tried to turn it over. I just tore right in to it.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Interesting engine SN, mine is AH235235.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

its a swingaxle, linkpin front, dual port engine, Holley/Weber progressive carburetor..engine is toast, will need teardown and rebuild. Drain the oil, I bet there is a gallon of water in there.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Got mine, checked the dipstick. Looked like oil right up to the full mark. 75% water, and it was sitting because it locked up due to low oil. Pull the valve covers, my rockers were rusted solid.
76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Looking like you guys are right.. pulled the exhaust and intake off just to get in closer, and realized he didn't even have plugs in it Mad . The heads have stuff growing in them, so I didn't go any further tonight.

I'm feeling pretty dumb right now, but lesson learned I guess. I'm still feeling like it was the right deal, as I could probably sell the trailer for no more than I have in it.. but was definitely optimistic that I could make the motor and trans work for a while.

Thanks for your guys' input already!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

"Ran when parked" Evil or Very Mad

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Looks like a cool buggy - I would try to find a reputable VW machine shop to help take a look at the internals of the engine. The more that is salvageable, the lower the cost of the rebuild. I just rebuilt my 1600 and it needed work on the heads. Machine shop work and laundry list of parts was a little under 1k I think. Assembled it myself. Good luck on your project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

nice looking buggy, engines are cheap....tranny? Hopefully it's good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

So, I think I found a used (running) motor and a local reputable builder.. well two of them actually. Neither are open this weekend, and after traveling for work all week, I'm ready to do something -anything to this thing to make it feel like I'm making progress. I plan on taking my motor in as well, but will see what the local guys say when I call tomorrow.

So.. I thought I'd start at the front. The suspension doesn't move, at all... I'm a 280 pound guy, and there was 0 movement. I was looking for a 'how to' on rebuilding the front end, but I'm not seeing much. There are a lot of threads but they seem specific... is there a general post or sticky that would walk me through how to tear it down and reassemble. I'm hopeful all I need is new bushings, but I'm sure you guys know waaaay more than me here. I appreciate the suggestions and replies so far!

Here's what I'm working with:

76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Well... I’m stuck on removing the controlling arms. The top won’t budge at all, and the bottom rotates up maybe 1/2 of an inch when striking with a hammer. Neither do anything when I try to pull them out.

I saw some other threads about using a bearing splitter on it, but I’m not really sure how that would work... any suggestions?
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

this is common on buggies that have sat out in the weather. mine was the same, took it all apart, cleaned it, greased it, reassembled it. Much better. you might have to pound the shit out of to get it to separate. sacrifice the arms, save the beam.
76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks... got the lower arm off on the passenger side, but that’s it so far. Hit it with wd-40 again and hoping Flo will think about how she’s acting and cooperate tomorrow.. lol

It’s all part of the fun I suppose:)
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

if i remember correctly, i took the grub screws out except for one side. then used a large punch and hammer and beat on the torsion bars on the opposite side. thru the little square window on the trailing arm.
76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

This might sound stupid, but do I need to remove the 2 nuts in the middle of the beams? I just thought I had to take out the grubs on the end, but re-reading the Haynes manual tonight I’m confused on if those need to come out, and the picture in the book is terrible
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

76rig wrote:
I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

This might sound stupid, but do I need to remove the 2 nuts in the middle of the beams? I just thought I had to take out the grubs on the end, but re-reading the Haynes manual tonight I’m confused on if those need to come out, and the picture in the book is terrible

The torsion leaf stack is 1 piece going all the way through. Loosening the central grub screw will allow the stack to come out if that is what you want to do.
76rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

I have the lower arms off now, and the lower spring out. For the life of me, I can't get the top arms to budge. I've tried keeping 1 grub screw in, and using a punch from the other side, and tonight I was able to get the top spring to move, so I pushed it out a bit toward the drivers side, then put a bolt in through the grub screw hole, and tried pounding the spring back towards the passenger side... still didn't move.

Would applying heat be a bad idea? I don't want to compromise the strength of anything, but I'm not sure what else to do other than buy a new beam Sad
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Flo Reply with quote

A little heat to the control arm end shouldn't compromise the leaves. The bushing and crud caked on there may catch fire, so watch out for that kind of stuff. I would lean more towards making sure the screws are all out and nothing is hanging up - then using a bigger hammer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: