Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Considering going to above combination on my mild 1679 SP.
currently have H30-31 and 009 that runs decent.
Any suggestions, pit falls I should watch for?
Is there an adapter to go from SP intake to 34-pict3 carb?
Other option would be dual 34 EPCs and SVDA
Thanks
Doc
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

You'll need an adapter.

I suggest getting a rebuilt German carb and distributor. Yes, they're more expensive but they will work right out of the box and save you hours of trouble.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Volkzbitz for the carb.
https://www.volkzbitz.com/

Bill for the distributor.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=wcfvw69
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

For your consideration, IMO:

If you go with the 30pict3, no manifold adapter is needed.

Some with distributor rebuild experience state that early 70s SVDA distributors are superior quality of materials too.

Plus it'd be the 1970s set up for your engine too

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

30PICT-3 with a 205T or 205K would be my pick, with preference to the 205K simply for more initial advance. I've run both and they work well.

If the 30/31 currently works well, I would just keep it, and get a vacuum distributor with preference to the 205K. The 30/31 is a perfectly serviceable carb if you have a good one to begin with (brosol ggood, empi iffy) and has a larger venturi than the 30 series carbs anyway.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
30PICT-3 with a 205T or 205K would be my pick, with preference to the 205K simply for more initial advance. I've run both and they work well.

If the 30/31 currently works well, I would just keep it, and get a vacuum distributor with preference to the 205K. The 30/31 is a perfectly serviceable carb if you have a good one to begin with (brosol ggood, empi iffy) and has a larger venturi than the 30 series carbs anyway.

Ran the h30'31 for awhile with no issues. I only switched for originality.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

I would stay with the 30 PICT series carburetors, a bit simpler to tune than the 34 PICT 3. The other reason for staying with a 30 PICT is that your choice of distributors is much better. The late 1960's SVDA are ok but your much better off with a SVA like the 113 K. Keep it mind if you go with the 113 K your timing will not be to stock specifications. The stock SVA would be a 113 905 205 T or a 113 905 205 M.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

A couple of other thoughts-

* What muffler are you running? You really need to run a stock muffler so the heat risers get hot and warm the carb manifold.

* Is your bug manual or autostick? There's a big difference between the distributors advance.

All great suggestions already made. Simplicity would be a restored German Solex 30-1 with a base flange number 105-1. It's a 1967 carb and the best IMOP. Match it to a SVA like Tim suggested. 113905205K,M or T.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Stock muffler with heat risers
Stock stick shift 4 speed

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Stock muffler with heat risers
Stock stick shift 4 speed

Dual port or single port?

Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

If it were mine I'd get the single port end castings and a 34 pict center section. I'm partial to the new Empi center section, which seems to be a copy of CB performance's part now. You WILL need to shorten the heat riser tubes and finagle them into place.

If you do these modifications to make the engine breathe more, as well as add displacement, don't choke the motor with a carb that has a 30 mm throttle plate when you can get a carb that has a 34 mm plate already. You can't go wrong with a rebuilt carb from volkzbitz but to be honest I have yet to go wrong with Empi's 34 pict which comes with extra jets already and is brand new...

Since you are increasing displacement I would also add a set of 1.25:1 ratio rockers to maximize the gains. You won't be disappointed.

-Frank
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Any discussion on dual 34 EPCs?

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

I think you need to answer the question of where you plan to take this build? Do you just want stock reliability (with stock HP), or do you really want more power than stock, in which case you have to decide where you want to end up (75HP, 100HP, 200HP+)? Each has a bigger price tag than the last. Do you want to buy parts that will support you from beginning to end, or are you willing to buy parts that will work at some stages but need to be replaced at later stages.

The 1679cc engine is not much larger than stock so you will not get much more performance than you would with a stock SP 1600 engine. Better breathing carbs (like dual EPCs) will be restricted by the SP heads and the stock exhaust so you will not get the most from them. The SP heads are probably you biggest issue when looking for performance. If you are planning to stick with them you should probably just look at stock single carb configurations. You CAN get performance from SP heads you just need to work more/harder and you will hit the performance limit sooner.

The heat risers in your stock exhaust allow you to run a stock center mounted carb and heat the intake properly. If you replace the stock exhaust in the future with headers you may loose the heat riser function (or degrade it) and your exhaust may no longer properly support a center mounted carb. The dual single carbs are much less finicky about heat since they sit right over and much closer to the HOT heads. But carbs along will not get you big performance gains. You need a properly thought out system that allows the engine to breath to maximize the performance. The stock engine configuration is really quite a good balance of economy, performance and power band to fit the stock use of the car. Often adding just ONE performance item (like a header) will result in throwing the balance of the system off and getting reduced performance AND economy.

So the question is, where do you want to go with this engine?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

I would like a reliable set up with possibly minimal performance gains.
The car is really very stock, and was nicely restored ~10years ago.
My current setup seems to run a bit rich, bit has no bog or hesitation off idle or mid throttle acceleration..
Runs quite well up to from idle to full throttle.
Want to continue down the fairly stock route.
Car is driven daily.
Later I may build a bigger motor in the 1900-2000cc range and the put this one on a pallet in the corner of the shed Wink
Thanks

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

The 1600cc stock single port stock carb stock muffler stock sheet metal thermostat and flaps in place. Able to run down the highway at 65~70 mph when I want to. Reliable simple, works fine for me. Over the weekend went to the Jerome Jamboree 500 mile round trip ran fine and got to pass a few cars on the two lane hy.
Build the big engine you want and keep the reliable one, you will be glad you did. Some of the issues based on the photo of the engine is the mis match carb distributor. Unable to tell if the thermostat and flaps are in place.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Everything is stock as far as thermostat l, flaps etc
H30-31 and 009 with Pertronix runs great, just wondering what might be out there to improve performance slightly along with economy.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Everything is stock as far as thermostat l, flaps etc
H30-31 and 009 with Pertronix runs great, just wondering what might be out there to improve performance slightly along with economy.

Here's my 69 bug engine, bone stock running all it's original, restored parts. I have no issues with keeping up with traffic. Runs like a sewing machine. Starts and runs perfectly on cold mornings. No cold engine symptoms.

There's trade offs when you start adding performance goodies to these VW's. I drag raced cal-look bugs back in the 80's. Now, I've come to love the simplicity, reliability and driveability of a stock VW engine as delivered from VW. They are amazing engines when they have their thermostat and flaps in place. Working warm air to the carb hooked up. Stock carbs with matching SVA distributors. They can also be boring as the only thing they need is PM maintenance. Oil changes, valve adjustments, dwell checks.

I guess I've reached the age of boring. Wink

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 34-pict3, SVDA distributor switch Reply with quote

Good example of a correct original engine there, Bill. Folks need to take note of the fuel line from pump to carburetor without a filter. Bill's and mine are the only I've noticed recently being run this way- and scucessfully.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: